ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on 172 Cup - Left standing for months

Went to view a 172 Cup today privately. Am very keen on the car itself, in good condition, has 26k on the clock on a 52 plate registered Dec 02, nice and straight with no dents or bodywork damage. The interior is in good condition, never been smoked in but does need some attention to tidy up. Tax has unfortunaly expired 2 months previously, there is a slight descrepancy with the service history although I am assured this is just mislaid (there is 1 reciept for a service, 0 stamps in the book but the guy is adament it was service in December as well). The MOT also runs until December 2006.

Onto the bad points. The car has been left standing for 2/3 months. The guy selling the car is actually the owners grandad as the owner is in America. I get the impression he just upped and left. Everything seems very genuine and I have a friend who lives opposite who put me in contact so he can vouch for this. The battery is currently flat although he is getting it replaced/charged so I can start the car when I visit on Sunday. He will also have the service history resolved. What problems may I encounter? Would you avoid the car?

Onto the price, well under £6k :)

renaultsport 182
just make sure that the rear brakes still move freely as they sease easily. all the lights work. and the oil and water is clean. if i bought it i would give it a minor service anyway.

M2 Competition
Hmmmm, without a service stamp in the book, the service its had means jack to any subsequent buyers.

If u smell a fish its cos there usually is one, id trust your instincts mate, unless you fancy risking it...

Oh i'm not disputing that it has had 1 service at least as the reciept proves it. The reg and name matches up so thats not really the issue. I would be taking the car to the same Renault garage so would get them to backdate the first service. The main problem is the old guy "thinking" his Grandson had the car serviced along with the MOT as there is no reciept to prove it. I would get it service asap so I am hoping this would counteract the fact the car has been left standing for so long.

My megane brakes became seized and I changed the brake discs and pads myself for minimal cost. Damage to the engine is my main concern. I don't know if the battery would need replacing as well with it being flat for so long?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Should be okay, and for £5k something it's a bit of a bargain!

Take it for a decent test drive first, make the seller aware of your concerns and get him to throw in tax / free service or something to put your mind at ease...

Also, wat do you mean the interior needs some attention to tidy up, a nearly new car shouldn't need much so could show it's been not looked after too well.

Hoping I can get a test drive even if we can take it to a quiet car park. Don't want to get pulled for having no tax.

The interior is just a bit dusty, bit of dirt on the mats etc. Nothing major just not all that clean. There are no marks, scrapes or rips!

D

dick

Mada05 said:
Hoping I can get a test drive even if we can take it to a quiet car park. Don't want to get pulled for having no tax.

The interior is just a bit dusty, bit of dirt on the mats etc. Nothing major just not all that clean. There are no marks, scrapes or rips!

its in his name, he the 1 that wud get s**t surely?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sounds ok to me . How much exactly is he asking for it and how much do you have to spend ? Theres lots of 172's for sale out there so its a buyers market , loads knocking about for around the £6k mark , check out the autotrader website .If you have any doubts walk away . I'd do an hpi check on , make sure there's no outstanding finance on it .

If it was serviced at a Renualt garage they will have a record and should be able to stamp the service book . It should have had 2 services by now on 26k .

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WW...urce=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Went and saw it again today. Had a test drive now the battery was charged. Started first time and could not hear any knocks or banging. Had a good look round once more and everything seemed straight and in order. Only problem were the breaks having been rusted, very noisey and creeky at first but this stopped after I pumped the breaks and gave them some minor use. The handbrake also knocks ever so slightly.

The grandson called me from America to negotiate on the price as it was getting tiresome negotiating with the grandad as he wasn't sure how much the grandson would take.

Anyway, agreed on £5500 for the car but it does need the following doing within the next few days:

- Service (£160)
- Tax (£104.50)
- 2 new tyres (£120 + fitting)

So I am looking at about £5800'ish once the work has been carried out. Only has 26k on the clock, good condition etc so im well pleased with that. Pick it up on Tuesday!

Ohhh I left something out. The car also has 17" Speedline 2120 alloys which are the same as the standard cup wheels but are 1 inch bigger. Little curbed in places but look really good!

Yeah, well they looked the same and there was a brochure for Speedline 2120's in with all the documents. Looked exactly the same to me?

z_2120.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
aye certainly look the same, you learn something new every day lol