ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advice on buying a valver plz

just after some advice from those that already own valvers, im looking at gettin one as a runabout as my current rt is impractical to say the least.

the ones im looking at is on a J plate. done 94k cambelt done in 2000. generally how reliable are they? do they start gettin problems around this mileage? what should i look out for etc? are they a reasonable option for a runabout? apparently the bodywork is tatty but im not that botthered as its gonna be a daily dirver and will be left at work etc.

after some general advice really having not owned a valver b4

cheers

matt

Revels Mum & Sister

There is a guide on the Main page of things to look for mate!

At that mileage is generally better than say 60-80 as most people seem to have had most trouble. They are realible if they have been maintained

When you buy make sure it has a wedge full of recipts as it should have. Check the usual stuff like popping out of gear etc. As long as the cambelt has been done thats good. Good option for a runabout.

mines on 92k and its fine. not had a great deal done from the history. orig clutch, gbox, alt and starter. only had a wheel bearing, couple of shocks, rad replaced as far i can tell. and i havent had any trouble in 7 months of owning. get a feel for the seller is my advice. mine had done long mway trips most of its life so has lasted better imho. take a friend and theres less chance of them pulling wool over yer eyes about a dodgy motor :)

Watch for: Any signs of coolant loss or overheating (they do not take even a mild roasting without blowing the head gasket, and its expensive if you cant do it yourself). Also gearboxes are weak, make sure it aint noisy and that it aint jumping out of gear. Clutches can last well in excess of 100k but it depends how they have been driven. You say cambelt will have been done, so thats good, get proof.

The above are the expensive jobs a valver of this vintage may need, but if all the above is sound, there is no reason why you could not use one as a run about, mines always been pretty reliable, if you keep them maintained.

Here is list of other weak spots, although none of them are too bad: wheel bearings (all), engine mounts (all, but gearbox link is weakest), ball joints, track rod ends and inner joints, noisy PS (can be ignored for ages), running problems commonly caused by Idle Control Valve, or oil in plug holes. Intermittant guages (especially oil ones), leaky sunroof seals, fussy starters (often only corroded connections), antiroll bar drop links often snap, earth straps rot. Sure there are other wee common things I cant recall

When they start to rot, it is usually the back arches and/or the tailgate (round wiper) where it begins, needs to be caught early and very hard to get rid off.

What else goes wrong, bound to missing something

Check the electrics not the best wired car but its french, Def check the gearbox iv learnt from that 1! And the normal poor repair work panels lining up etc.

Alex listed all the weak points that i can think of, just follow your gut feeling:D

As has already been said, get a feel for the seller. I sold my Valver with 105k on the clock and it was a minter. But when I was looking for a Williams, some with only 50k on the clock and 1/2 owners were nails.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Matt!! i bought Fastcar this month... great spread about it.. looks stunning in the mag, and also.. love the screen on your dash!

Anyway, back to the valver.. i bought one 3 months ago.. not yet (touch would) had any problems with it at all! its on 107k.. and shes still running smooth. Body work is in great condition, and in my loving hands, she will be maintained well. I took matbrown with me to look at the vavler though.. best to take someone with the knowledge if you can.

thx bubbles, really pleased with the feature

its up for sale tho, gotta go and make way for somethign sensible i think

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Yeah, i remember it posted in the for sale forum.. But i also saw the advert for it in the back of the mag.. hehe