ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice please (clio choice)

clio 182FF, mini
Quite simple question really.

I've previously had a phase 2 172 and a 182 full fat.

So would I be dissapointed with a 197?

Cheers
Steve

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Depends. 172/182 are more of a go-kart feel to the 197. The top speeds (standard) are almost bang on each other, due to power/weight ratio.

The 197 is more 'grown up' if you like. Packs a lot of power but is all round a lot more comfortable.

clio 182FF, mini
Go kart like is more me. I'm not interested in more comfortable. I had an octavia vrs tfsi and didn't like that lol

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Fair mate. If you want more of a 'toy', then get a 1*2.

I'm not quite sure what is quickest as standard top speed wise. The 1*2 would be quicker on acceleration as it is half the weight.

BG Clio 182
Ultimate go kart be the 172 cup.

I've got a 182 FF and like the little bit of luxury it boasts over the 172 but I know it's heavier.

clio 182FF, mini
It is a daily drive not a toy lol my toy is a 170bhp vtec mini lol

So maybe a ff not a bad idea lol

I hear there is a weak gearbox in the 197

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator

Early 2007 models mate, all a bit hit and miss. Some people had problems, some didn't. Mine is 2007 and it's solid.

The bad points to a 197;
  • Gearboxes
  • Flexis
  • Bumper off to change a headlight bulb
  • Can't swing a tampon in the engine bay

BG Clio 182

Can be. They can be a bit temperamental and can go unlike the 182 etc. Get a minter 182. Recaros are awesome and don't go too harsh on suspension etc and it'll be nice and nd driveable but go kart like :)

Listerine & Poledo
if you really want a rattly can of a motor that steers well, a 172 Cup or Ph.1 172 would surely be the default choices.

LY FF 200 CUP
My choice (which I made) a ff 200 with cup pack all the luxuries plus the awesome suspension only IMO but it's better than a 197 feels like it pulls a lot more from any gear no matter where in the rev range also the mid range is definitely better than 1*2's I've had a 182 with remap and exhaust etc and my 200 is definitely better and faster, however if the choice of the other 3 not including 200 I'd go 182. Happy shopping

BG Clio 182
My choice (which I made) a ff 200 with cup pack all the luxuries plus the awesome suspension only IMO but it's better than a 197 feels like it pulls a lot more from any gear no matter where in the rev range also the mid range is definitely better than 1*2's I've had a 182 with remap and exhaust etc and my 200 is definitely better and faster, however if the choice of the other 3 not including 200 I'd go 182. Happy shopping
Yeah I do get that but genuinely feel the 1*2 certainly feels quicker, especially with a good map and exhaust / induction kit

LY FF 200 CUP
I know what your saying they are small and light so they will feel quicker But in reality I don't think there's much in it but it feels the 200 pulls so well in the middle, and the 200 build quality is light years ahead of the old clios, cabin is a nicer place to be. But I'm not all for 200 I love 182 always have always will this is only my experience of owning both 182 is a lot of car for the money but if you've got the cash for a newer modern version then go for it

Listerine & Poledo
Build quality?
We still talking about Clio 200s. Or, like a C200d or something? Because if it's got that Renault badge in the nose then that's a cast iron guarantee of spitting parts on a semi-regular basis.

BG Clio 182
Build quality?
We still talking about Clio 200s. Or, like a C200d or something? Because if it's got that Renault badge in the nose then that's a cast iron guarantee of spitting parts on a semi-regular basis.
Hmm I don't know my cars done 74k and if you can find a tighter clio with 10k then I'd be happy to say I'm a dick. It's very well built and tight as a drum and looking back through all of its old receipts it's hardly ever needed anything ever to be fair.

Listerine & Poledo
There's always exceptions to prove the rule.
I'm not saying they're in the same league as an 80s FIAT. But if build quality was anywhere on my list of requirements then a French shopping-hatch wouldn't. Be where Id be looking

BG Clio 182
There's always exceptions to prove the rule.
I'm not saying they're in the same league as an 80s FIAT. But if build quality was anywhere on my list of requirements then a French shopping-hatch wouldn't. Be where Id be looking
Fair point actually, especially for like 10k! Lol

clio 182FF, mini
test drove a clio 200 on sat with the cup chasis (so a FF)
OMG what a car I want one! so that's decision made now i just need to find the one i want. To me felt better than a 182.

And in answer to earlier posts, just because I said it is a daily drive does not mean i'm going to buy some crappy BMW/Merc diesel!!!!! I'd rather buy a Lada

BG Clio 182
test drove a clio 200 on sat with the cup chasis (so a FF)
OMG what a car I want one! so that's decision made now i just need to find the one i want. To me felt better than a 182.

And in answer to earlier posts, just because I said it is a daily drive does not mean i'm going to buy some crappy BMW/Merc diesel!!!!! I'd rather buy a Lada
They are great cars! Bit subdued/ safe feeling for me though bit big and quiet lol.

Listerine & Poledo
Fair enough, calm down child.
But just consider this.
When you try to show how fast your 2-litre shopping hatch is, and end up getting toasted by a C220d or 320d, don't be surprised.

clio 182FF, mini
Fair enough, calm down child.
But just consider this.
When you try to show how fast your 2-litre shopping hatch is, and end up getting toasted by a C220d or 320d, don't be surprised.

Lol i'm just not a big lumpy car man, i tried it with an octavia vrs tfsi but didn't like it.

Hot hatches for the win, i suppose my other option is the megane r26 though

Listerine & Poledo
When I was but a young driver, I didn't appreciate my V5 Toledo as I should have done either. And went off to get an MX-5
So I know how you mean.

clio 182FF, mini
I'm afraid to say i've decided against getting a clio of any sort just now. It will come, it will be a 200 cup, but not just yet.
I have instead decided to chase a childhood dream car and buy a Lotus Elan M100 turbo, some of you may not agree with this car. But it is a childhood dream car and I want one lol for anyone that is of the age to have played this game, you should understand.
DSC_0510.jpg

I still want the 200 cup now having driven one, but as the clio is going to rapidly drop in value. And the Lotus is very rapidly raising in value, it make more sense to have the lotus first. Although i'm not sure i'm ever going to sell it.

clio v6
I will never go back to vw thats for sure totally overated .tis a myth these german cars are more reliable i see lots on the hard shoulders of the uk and europe on my travels .at least if my 182 went bang tomorrow i have the option of a cheap engine or another 182 there cheap enough now

Listerine & Poledo
In proportion, I think you may find a higher %age of French skips are found with their bonnets up on the hard shoulder.
Such as when my 172s alternator bracket decided it didn't like being attached to the car anymore.
Can't say I've had any issues with the German whips I've had the dubious pleasure if owning.
Conversely, at 125k miles, Japanese electrics seem to spontaneously collapse on themselves.
As for "it's cheap". A remap'd Fabia vRS is about the same cost to buy than a 182, it may lose out "on da twistiezs", but it'll be a good sight cheaper to live with on the day-to-day.
Although it does look like a sunshine variety bus

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I'll never work on a VW again. I've yet to see far superior underpinnings unless it's something that cost an alarming amount in the first place.

clio 182FF, mini

Attachments

• 11044596_10155488698425001_550921284626736707_n.jpg
    11044596_10155488698425001_550921284626736707_n.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 36
  • WP_20150307_002.jpg
    WP_20150307_002.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 42
  • WP_20150307_004.jpg
    WP_20150307_004.jpg
    450.3 KB · Views: 26
  • WP_20150307_005.jpg
    WP_20150307_005.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 38
  Listerine & Poledo
In Norfolk Mustard as well!!!!?!?!?!!?
jizzpants.jpg

Just don't go ruining it with mods that think that they'll be better than what Lotus can create ;)

clio 182FF, mini
In Norfolk Mustard as well!!!!?!?!?!!?

Just don't go ruining it with mods that think that they'll be better than what Lotus can create :wink:

No won't be ruining it with mods except it is in dire need of front brake modification. To say they are shocking is an understatement.

There is a company that sells a nice alloy 4 pot kit that fixes this issue

Listerine & Poledo
Pretty sure the brakes are just there for the MOT anyway ;)
Is it as savagely grippy at the front as the reviews always said?
I guess by now (with standards raised by 2 decades) it can't be much better than a decent hot hatch :(