ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aftermarket 4 branch manifold on 172?

Ph2 172
I'm currently on the hunt for another 172. I went to see an 02 plate one today and noticed that the exhaust note was a little raspy for standard. When I asked the dealer about it he told me it had a brand new standard system on it, but it had a 4 branch manifold, hence the deeper tone. I've never heard of anyone to do anything than fit a 182 manifold to a 172 before so I'm a bit confused. Has anyone else done this to theirs or heard of anyone who has?

340i
Nobody makes an after market manifold (as far as I am aware)... they are standard 4 branch

ValverInBits
dealer is talking out his arse. Could well be a fresh exhaust, could also be a decat (tend to rasp a touch). Have a look underneath

Ph2 172
Hmm, thats exactly what I thought. I'm confused then, it's definately an exhaust sound, not induction kit as it does it on idle. Could anything else be responsible for adding the little extra noise to it? Sounds quite good but just want to know what's been done to it, lol

Ph2 172
I'm hoping it's not a decat, I can't be arsed with emission issues at MOT time. Will have to have a look underneath tomorrow then

200bhp itb'd iceberg
my 172 has a stainless manifold on it an the bore on each branch is bigger than standard for sure, i can get sum pics up 2 moro?

Sounds like it blowing, like mine. Decieving when its blowing so close to engine but when you get the heat shield off it sounds beasty!

ValverInBits
182 manifold (left)
172 manifold (right)
My foot (bottom left)

Dent in the 182 manifold is caused by slack engine mounts and the ARB. It's common
DSC02507.jpg

Lionel Richie
dent is actually factory standard, they did that on purpose!

although on rare occasions i have seen them without "the dent"

clio 172 cup
4-2-1 low-mid range, 4-1 for top end power. However you never hear of anyone with a 182 changing to a 4-1 manifold do u but many 172 owners change to a 4-2-1 manifold. Ive read about this debate before and ppl defend the 4-1 manifold like crazy but like i say y dont 182 owners swap 2 a 4-1 if its that good?

Mk2 1.2 Campus
4-2-1 low-mid range, 4-1 for top end power. However you never hear of anyone with a 182 changing to a 4-1 manifold do u but many 172 owners change to a 4-2-1 manifold. Ive read about this debate before and ppl defend the 4-1 manifold like crazy but like i say y dont 182 owners swap 2 a 4-1 if its that good?

I assume it's down to the name of the car, 182 and 172. People with a 182 might feel like they are making the car slower if they switch to engine parts from a car with less power

I thought that the 172 (4-1) manifold provided better torque and better low mid range and the 182 (4-2-1) provided more high end power....

Ph1
I thought that the 172 (4-1) manifold provided better torque and better low mid range and the 182 (4-2-1) provided more high end power....

Thats what they say, depending on which threads you read lol - I found the 182 gave better top end. Just felt a lot better overall than the 4-1.

Happy with my torque level from the 182 mani anyway, would the 172 be even better?....who knows

Dont agree with it being pointless as long as its been done for about the 300 mark fitted, or less. Worth it for the ease of exhaust fiddling alone :)

ClioSport 172 Cup
There obviously is a benefit from fitting the 4-2-1 because out of the factory the 182 is producing more power allegedly than the 172 and the only differences I'm aware of on the 182 engine are the Exhaust manifold and a different ECU map... So someone fitting a 182 4-2-1 with a henk RS Tuner remap would make gains over the 4-1.

Samuel