ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Air-Con - Isn't it great

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I use my aircon every time I drive the car and still get good MPG. Getting 36+ on a decent run . Its b****x that aircon uses loads more fuel. I have it on all day driving my taxi as well and still get good MPG on that as well. You should use it regularly to avoid problems with it. The seals dry out and then the gas escapes. I wouldnt recommend the canister do it yourself top ups. It needs to be fully discharged and the system cleaned and recharged with the correct machine for the job to fully top it up.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Cos it cools, the already cool air more?
It stops warm air being drawn into the A/C system and makes the air nice and cool .I had the recirculate button on the van all day yesterday and was nice and cool even when it was baking outside.

BMW F21 125d
I had mine regassed last week. all vacuumed out and leak tested etc, its now cold, its not ice cold, but its alot colder than it was. The guy who did it got 7 degree's on his digital temp guage out of the vents... he also said that Fords have the best system and has seen readings of -1c !! Apparently anything 7 or below is good. Lets see how long it lasts....

172 Race Car
Could of done with it in the race at Anglesey on Saturday. Fixed plastic windows, 3 layer race suit, balaclava, helmet and 27 deg FTL

E87 118d M Sport
wouldnt not have air con now. use it in the winter to clear windows as much as i do in the summer to keep cool

Leon Cupra 300
I had mine regassed last week. all vacuumed out and leak tested etc, its now cold, its not ice cold, but its alot colder than it was. The guy who did it got 7 degree's on his digital temp guage out of the vents... he also said that Fords have the best system and has seen readings of -1c !! Apparently anything 7 or below is good. Lets see how long it lasts....

Funny you should say that my focus is bloody freezing, if i put my hand infront of the vent i have to move away after 10secs or so as it's just too cold! Saying that her 206 is as cold.

DMS

A thirsty 172
I use mine quite regularly. Not sweating FTW.
I get poor MPG anyway so it bothers me not.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
My air con was a godsend sat, sun! I was just saying on thursday how I always look at cars with air con but never even use it in my own!

I swear I watched the petrol needle go down while the air con was on!

DMS

A thirsty 172
After the last 2 days I'm actually thinking about having it installed in my house. I would never have bothered moving in here if I'd known it was this hot in summer.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
mpg would actualy be better than having the windows open which would cause alot of drag at 50mph +

Mini Cooper S sport
My CC is permanently on, sod the MPG. It's been icy cold since it was regassed.

Love driving around nice and cool with the windows up when it's 31c outside!

DMS

A thirsty 172
How much should you pay for a full charge and test?

It varies from place to place. Round here it's generally about £35 but a lot of places tend to have offers on occasionally. I saw one at a back street garage near my parents' house offering an air-con leak test, re-gas and filter replacement for £20 when you have any other work done by them.

Westy. MX5
I never use mine anyway. Too tight to drop below 30mpg!!

You might save 10% on fuel costs not using the A/C but hang on a minute, what do you do when the weather is hot? yes open the windows and that also costs an extra 5 to10% in fuel costs due to extra drag. Bit of a false economy.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
You might save 10% on fuel costs not using the A/C but hang on a minute, what do you do when the weather is hot? yes open the windows and that also costs an extra 5 to10% in fuel costs due to extra drag. Bit of a false economy.

Nah mate I roast because I'm too tight to open the windows. :rasp:

1.5dci
had the choice between two clios, got the one i liked more, now in this weather I wonder if i should have chosen the one with air-con.
Cant' stand opening the windows, it's always so loud, best way i've found is open the sunroof and turn the cold air on full pelt, still boiling.

Not quite as hot as the nearly black fiesta was though, had the steering wheel too hot to hold a few times, literally couldn't drive till it'd cooled down, it didn't melt though :p

Mini Cooper S sport
had the choice between two clios, got the one i liked more, now in this weather I wonder if i should have chosen the one with air-con.

I know which one I'd have picked!

Once you've had a car with aircon you'll never want to be without again.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Love my CC. This is the first car I've had AC on and it gets used quite a bit. And it's useful in winter for clearing the windows uber quick. Miss my sunroof though.

Still prefer driving with the windows down everywhere except DCs & M-ways though.

As said I leave mine on auto and the AC kicks in when needed. Car's broke atm though and im stuck in a van without AC :(

1.5dci
I know which one I'd have picked!

Once you've had a car with aircon you'll never want to be without again.

Yea had problems with the interior looking scruffy, and although almost 2 years newer had a higher proportional mileage and was £1500 more... did also have electric sunroof too though, seems to be one of those things you look back and wonder about though, what if... Quite glad I don't have the extra money to repay too though

oh had CC too which would have been nice with all the motorway driving i'm doing... couldn't get rid of her now though, love mine too much!

Last edited:
  Clio 172
I replaced the pressure switch in mine last year been brilliant ever since, gets bloody cold as well!

AUTO button, set temp at 16 and hit the recirc button, you'll be cold in no time at all.

320d
All three of my cars have had aircon. Just a shame that only 1 out of the 3 has had working aircon.

Broken aircon is such a fail when I did 500 miiles in 3 days with the windows down at 80mph. I was almost deaf, and still covered in sweat. Great.