ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aircon Deleting Kit.......Why?

Clio 182
I haven't actually tried to remove my aircon yet, but it is one of the jobs that I am doing to my 182 over the winter. I just assumed it was as simple as removing the aircon pump and all the bits that go with it and buying an aux belt for a cup... Simples! But I have just spotted threads about needing a kit to move the alternator etc etc.... Can anyone just explains to me why you need to buy this kit and move the alternator around? I'm obviously missing something

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
the cup setup uses different brackets, mounts the PAS pump a lot lower, and runs a different alternator with a sliding adjuster, not the auto tensioner of the AC setup

There's a handful of options, Cup or volvo brackets is the most popular solution

Clio 182
I think dan has answered my question to be honest, it's a totally different setup on a cup, not just a space where the zircon pump would be. Looks like I need to do some purchasing then, thanks guys

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You can just add an extra pulley where the aircon was, its been covered on here before, uses the standard AC belt still then.

Cup setup is better though IMHO, I dislike autotensioners.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you go to the cup setup you need the lot, although you can make do with rerouting your existing power steering pipework rather than need the specific cup one (used PAS pipes can be a bit of a nightmare as the seals go)

Evo 5 RS
You can modify the standard alternator casing/wiring. I ran it for 2 years without a hitch until it died on the dyno a few months ago. It's pointless though, just sell your current one and pick up a cup alternator

phase 1 flamer 172
just sold one, full system with light weight pulleys, want to use parts that i can (hopefully) pick up from my local renault dealer.

Clio 182
Yeah that pure Motorsport kit looks good, just seems like a lot of money to get rid of an aircon pump. I'm used to being able to get rid of things for free...... It's like one of thosee fancy Italian sports cars where they charge you another 100k for less equipment lol. I'll probably just take everything out over the winter and see what I can come up with, if not I'll concede to buying a kit.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you want to do it on the cheap, then like I said just add a bigger idler pulley to take up the slack caused by the absense of your aircon pump.

Like so:
aircon.jpg

Image taken from here:
www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?637581-Clio-172-Air-con-delete

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The other pulley looks like its got a much better locating shoulder than the one you used, I would be worried about the belt coming off yours TBH

172 PH1
Agreed tbh, shes done 200 miles now and still looking good, but would be nice having some more shoulder on the pulley for peace of mind. It was more of an experiement if anything, but seems ok.

It really needs an idler between the alternator and the new pulley as i dont like the belt run legnth.

SG9 Forester STi
If you're not mental just get a garage to do it. It's a lot of hassle fitting those pure motorsport kits. Well at least it was to the ph1.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It specifically wants to be a groved one yes.

PM him and maybe he can give you more info, or reply to him in that thread I bumped.

I didnt do it that way personally, i just whacked on a cup setup, so I am just relaying what I read in this instance not talking from personal experience I am afraid mate.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ohh yeah of course the inside of the belt is running along it. My bad.

im just after something to tie me over until I can find my non air on setup that I've misplaced and this seems like the ideal solution

Clio 182
If you're not mental just get a garage to do it. It's a lot of hassle fitting those pure motorsport kits. Well at least it was to the ph1.

There are only two things I go to a garage for, MOTs and tire changes lol

Ha ha, I like the home efforts in the pics.... Looks like I'll be giving that ago next in the next month or so.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I still think the cup setup is superior to the pure, its simpler and its easy off the shelf parts if you ever need to replace anything.

Clio 182, Ford F150
thanks. will they both have pretty much the same effect (weight loss and + a couple of hp)?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
thanks. will they both have pretty much the same effect (weight loss and + a couple of hp)?

Weight loss yes.

The + a couple of hp you can get anyway by simply turning the aircon off, as it then becomes just an idler anyway.

2003 Clio 172
Bit of an old thread bump, but how the hell can Ktec justify nearly £450 for their air con delete/cup setup? The cup alternator is around £150 for a recon unit, so they're charging £300 for brackets?!

Edit: I assume the alternator they supply is new, but still that's a lot of money...

Clio 182
Basic business, you sell small volumes you've got to make a bigger margin per item so you can pay your bills and hopefully make some money, you sell big volumes you can get away with a smaller margin, in very simple terms. Also, the costs of manufacture are subject to economies of scale, you if you only make a few, the costs are likely to be high especially if you need special tooling. I'd assume, the number of these they are selling are quite low.

2003 Clio 172
Basic business, you sell small volumes you've got to make a bigger margin per item so you can pay your bills and hopefully make some money, you sell big volumes you can get away with a smaller margin, in very simple terms. Also, the costs of manufacture are subject to economies of scale, you if you only make a few, the costs are likely to be high especially if you need special tooling. I'd assume, the number of these they are selling are quite low.

Fair point.

Just seems madness that anybody would pay that when you can source the parts yourself a lot cheaper.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
The brackets are 30ish and 60ish quid new from memory, not sure about the tensioning bolt though