ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alex's BG 182

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
So once again, I am...and proud of it, an owner of a Clio 182.

This is my third 182. The first I had for 6 years 2010-2016. I lived away for a few years during this time, so my mum looked after it (kind of). Looking back, I wish I’d never sold it but needed something a little more mature for work, so it had to go.

The second one, (another arctic) I purchased last year randomly whilst looking online at clios. Since moving home in 2016, I seem to be online looking at ones for sale constantly. This one came up in very good condition, went to view it, honestly not expecting to buy it, 1 hour later, I’m on the way home with a big smile on my face and a girlfriend following me home thinking ‘here we go again’.

This was sold within a couple of months because I had an itch for a lower mileage example plus, I had just been given a company van and still had a golf GTI as a daily…. and a lack of parking spaces.

I’ve owned two GOLF GTI’s (2005 and 2012), a BMW 330CI, Cooper S a Renault Sport Megane 250 CUP that was by far the best car I’ve driven. Even when I owned the Megane, I found myself checking the forum daily and adverts on piston heads, getting excited about the thought of buying a less powerful, less refined Clio!

Within a couple of weeks of selling the Artic, I purchased a BG from a guy who lived in Birmingham. I’ve had it since October but haven’t posted on the forum due to a lack of time.

Spec was completely standard (182 FF CUP) apart from an F1 sticker on the bonnet and an aftermarket radio. Mileage was 55,000 and it was a minter.

A few things I wasn’t happy about once I got it home. Only had one key, the jack was broken, no splitter, front brakes were corroded although still worked very well. The rear springs were also heavily corroded, and one had a piece missing. The exhaust was also blowing slightly. Tyres were budgets, and on closer inspection, when it wasn’t raining, the 182 wheels had been sprayed and didn’t look great.

What have I done:
  • Fixed the exhaust
  • Replaced front brakes with Mintex discs and pads
  • Replaced rear springs with genuine Renault cup springs (found a receipt which showed the fronts had recently been changed)
  • Fitted Recaro Trendlines
  • Fitted CUP Turinis with Conti Tyres
  • Fitted new mats with 182 cup logo in Anthracite
  • Fitted a skoda splitter
  • Replaced all indicator bulbs with Diadem Chromes
  • Purchased a new jack
Plans:
  • Find some mint 182 cup wheels as I honestly think they look better on a BG, if anyone is selling or interested in a swap let me know.
  • Eibach lowering springs (these have now been purchased)
  • Replace dampers all round (these have now been purchased)
  • Keep her in good condition!

A few photos below, once the springs are fitted, ill take some more :)

IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG

IMG_1789.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

Looks great that! Defo will benefit from the Eibach springs and callipers could do with a paint, but looks very clean. I'd keep the turini's as well, they'll look much better when lowered maybe with some spacers look even better.

E46 M3, Clio 182
Looks really good mate! I've recently started my BG journey with my 5th 182!

Where did you get the recaros covers from? Something i'd like to get for mine to keep them fresh!

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
Looks great that! Defo will benefit from the Eibach springs and callipers could do with a paint, but looks very clean. I'd keep the turini's as well, they'll look much better when lowered maybe with some spacers look even better.

The springs and dampers are being fitted today, whilst the MOT was being done. Looking forward to driving it tomorrow. Calipers definitely need sorting, good spot.

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
I’ve not posted for a while however a lot has changed on the car. I’ll be posting everything that’s happened over the next few months over the next week or so.

The mot was done back in January. Whilst it was being carried out, the hand brake cable snapped, so it failed ?. Also there were a couple of advisories on the dampers leaking. Luckily I had bought new front and rear shocks from RPD. I’d also given the garage the eibach springs so these were fitted, hand brake cable replaced and I picked it up the next morning. A few pics...

Car feels much better to drive now with the refreshed suspension. You may have noticed from the last picture, I also had some new PS3’s fitted.

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
Whilst I had been enjoying the Clio, I had an itch to buy another Megane, having sold one last May. I went to have a look at one in Leamington Spa in Oyster Grey, it was great but not the right one for me. As soon as I got in it, I knew I was going to be buying one in the very near future.
A last minute search before I left the office one day resulted in me finding one on Pistonheads with only 24k miles on the clock. I went to see it over the weekend and picked it up the following day.

I don't have any major plans for it apart from fitting some PS4's and getting the wheels refurbed. I won't be rushing into any changes as the Pirelli P Zeros are fine for now.

Due to the recent purchase, I decided to sell the Recaros and the Turinis. Luckily I never sold the standard seats and had these in my parent's garage. I'd been watching the forum and some groups on facebook for a set of standard wheels in good condition for agesss , they proved very hard to find but luckily some came up for sale in Stoke. I jumped in the car that night and went and got them. They had Pirelli P Zeros fitted, all with 6MM + tread so I was happy.

I do like the standard wheels on a BG 182 however, the Turinis does look like a far more expensive and purposeful wheel.

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
I'd read a few threads on here mentioning it's worth refreshing the inner and out tie rod ends to improve the steering. In general, I felt the steering was a little vague. A few people had also mentioned braided hoses and upgrading the brake fluid. Decided to book it in with Gary Spooner and have Hel braided lines fitted as well.

They didn't look in the best condition so pleased I had them done.

The drive home wasn't as fun as expected as the tracking was all over the shot. The brakes, at first, didn't really feel any different, until I got closer to home and had to use them! They are now much better, not spongy like before, for the money you pay, the return is well worth it.

Had the tracking done the following morning....

My friend Ade (who was following me), recently had some 20mm spacers fitted.

Once the tracking had been done, the steering felt much better, especially at speed, much more stable than it had been. The car now gives you more confidence, before it felt a bit unpredictable. Also, over uneven surfaces, it's much more planted, well worth the money!

Each night since having the work done, I'd been taking it for a drive after work on some quiet country roads. After chasing an S3 around a few bends, there is one corner I felt the car felt very unstable going round at speed, way too much body roll for my liking. Part of this was down to the standard seats being too high compared to the recaros. Got home, got under the car and took out the 13mm bolts and removed the spacers from underneath each seat. Instant improvement in the ride height, I would love some lower bucket seats but can't see this happening anytime soon.

I got online and was on the search for a PMS ARB. I was just about to order one but someone responded to a 'wanted' thread', said they had a whiteline ARB and lived 15 minutes away from me (y). Picked it up that night and had it fitted over the weekend along with Hubcentric 16MM front spacers and 10mm PMS axel spacers.

Before

After

Before

After

By far the best upgrade so far! It's amazing in the corners, it was good before but this is a different level! Spacers and the ARB (mainly the ARB) have brought the whole car together. A must for anyone looking for better handling.

Attachments

• IMG_2810.jpg
    IMG_2810.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 210
  Honda S2000
Nice write-up Alex. Does look so much better now than how it looked without the spacers in these pictures. We need shots of them together again with the new improved look?

Attachments

• 20190518_144258.jpg
    20190518_144258.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 20190518_144344.jpg
    20190518_144344.jpg
    550 KB · Views: 195

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
Went to CSF for the first time this year, having been on the forum since 2010 and hearing about it over the last few years, thought it would be a good day out. Traveling up from Farnham, took me roughly 3 hours 30 mins. Managed to average 40.5 MPG there and back, total of 386 miles!!

Favorite picture of my car from the day ... ( and yes I have purchased this pic ?)

It was a good day out and well worth the trip.

Next up for the clio is to finish off the suspension refresh that started a few months back. Today I have ordered the following parts

All the parts are being fitted this weekend so I’ll update once I’ve driven the car. Car has also developed a rattle between 3k-4K ( very annoying!!) I am hoping to sort that out also.

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
Quick update. Had all the new bushes, wish bones and top mounts fitted. Tracking now done. The car does feel sharper although, if I’m honest , the top mounts, neither the bushes needed replacing but it’s good to know it’s all new and driving well. The wishbones were a bit of state ....
8739F38A-5E93-452A-BE0B-B3AF6E0010E5.jpeg

963B2302-F3B4-4AD2-AC0A-FDB0FEDA7DE1.jpegBB50339C-AE01-457E-9378-735CE60392D1.jpegAB562A64-578A-4F44-9766-BBC700624F82.jpeg46DD5CE4-1257-49DC-8EF5-C71E07ACCFB1.jpeg

I’ve come across a full set of non sticky dash parts, not a fan of the sticky stuff! Also purchased a power flex dog bone mount and been looking into a new steering wheel ?. Can’t seem to stop spending money on these cars ?

Bought a set of dash / steering wheel inserts to have painted. Not sure what colour tho... ?

Last edited:

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
One week tomorrow I will be travelling to Wales for a long weekend to explore the welsh roads. I've only driven through wales once, in a ford transit!!... so this was going to be a completely different experience in the Clio. I gave into temptation and ordered myself an OMP steering wheel. I saw a few people had them fitted at CSF, I didn't love the look initially but heard they improve the driving experience so for £160 delivered (including a MOMO boss) I thought it was worth a go.

Steering wheel box.jpg
OMP Steering wheel.jpg

As mentioned in my previous post, I had been deciding what colour to paint my dash strips. They are currently being hydro dipped and replacing the 'airbag' text with the Renault Sport logo. Pics to be upload soon.

I purchase another set of Recaros from a CS member down in somerset. I only removed the Recaros previously as I thought my attention would transfer from the Clio to the Megane. Luckily, the Megane is so good as standard, I haven't felt the need to spend anything on it (y).

Recaros.jpeg

I've moved house recently, therefore, not had much time to fit new parts. Luckily, the bank holiday weekend gave me a chance to fit the seats and steering wheel. This is how the interior looked in the morning.

Interior before.jpg

Seats out and gave the carpets a good hoover.

seats out clean.jpg

Seats in.

Recaros from side.jpg

Now for the steering wheel. Managed to disconnect the battery, get the airbag off, steering wheel etc within minutes, snapped the radio stalk:confused:, couldn't get it out so just pulled until it would :LOL: (new one on order). I took a photo of the steering wheel angle sensor just incase it moved whilst fitting the new bits. It was all very straight forward until it came to installing the horn. It wouldn't seem to fit with how I had fitted the earthing ring ( I think that's what it is). Anyway...left it for another day as I was keen to take it for a drive!
Changing wheel.jpg

progress .jpg

Attachments

• recaros in.jpg
    recaros in.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 208

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Where in Wales are you going? I'm right on the South Welsh border, some great driving/riding roads down here.

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
Where in Wales are you going? I'm right on the South Welsh border, some great driving/riding roads down here.
All over.... starting near Hereford Thursday night, Brecon Beacons on Friday then snowdonia on Saturday. Four of us all on this forum. Come along if your free.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I would if I was free. Hereford is my nearest city, I'm near Kington so you are likely to pass it on your way to Brecon. The roads out that way are great, try going from Three c***s to Builth via Erwood, some great twisties that I was riding on my Daytona this weekend

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
I went to the PistonHeads Sunday service over at barons Farnborough last weekend. As it was at BMW, my dad came along in his M5. Sorted the horn insert out the day before.

seats and wheel.jpg

Sunday service.jpg

I only saw three clio's on the day. My 182, a friends 172 Cup and a very nice liquid yellow V6.

spotted.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
One week tomorrow I will be travelling to Wales for a long weekend to explore the welsh roads. I've only driven through wales once, in a ford transit!!... so this was going to be a completely different experience in the Clio. I gave into temptation and ordered myself an OMP steering wheel. I saw a few people had them fitted at CSF, I didn't love the look initially but heard they improve the driving experience so for £160 delivered (including a MOMO boss) I thought it was worth a go.

View attachment 1432428View attachment 1432429

As mentioned in my previous post, I had been deciding what colour to paint my dash strips. They are currently being hydro dipped and replacing the 'airbag' text with the Renault Sport logo. Pics to be upload soon.

I purchase another set of Recaros from a CS member down in somerset. I only removed the Recaros previously as I thought my attention would transfer from the Clio to the Megane. Luckily, the Megane is so good as standard, I haven't felt the need to spend anything on it (y).

View attachment 1432444

I've moved house recently, therefore, not had much time to fit new parts. Luckily, the bank holiday weekend gave me a chance to fit the seats and steering wheel. This is how the interior looked in the morning.

View attachment 1432445

Seats out and gave the carpets a good hoover.

View attachment 1432446

Seats in.

View attachment 1432447

Now for the steering wheel. Managed to disconnect the battery, get the airbag off, steering wheel etc within minutes, snapped the radio stalk:confused:, couldn't get it out so just pulled until it would :LOL: (new one on order). I took a photo of the steering wheel angle sensor just incase it moved whilst fitting the new bits. It was all very straight forward until it came to installing the horn. It wouldn't seem to fit with how I had fitted the earthing ring ( I think that's what it is). Anyway...left it for another day as I was keen to take it for a drive!
View attachment 1432452

View attachment 1432456
Where are those mats from mate? Look fantastic

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
@MrBlonde @0ss @Jon46 & myself went to Wales this weekend. Met in Ledbury on Thursday evening, travelled over to the Brecon Beacons Friday morning then onto Snowdonia Saturday morning. It was a great weekend, we will be back next year! (if not before) ;)

I took loads of photos, here are some of my favourites.

hairpin.jpg

IMG_3891.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg
IMG_3928.jpg
IMG_3960.jpg
IMG_3977.jpg
IMG_3981.jpg
IMG_4061.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20190913_142716.jpg