ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ali's 2003 Clio cup 172.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Hi all, haven't been on here properly for the past 18months, but im back with a new toy, a Clio cup 172.
I've been after a Clio cup or a ph1 for a short while now, went to see a few but they were all dogs, literally couldn't believe some of the states the clio's are in now.
Anyway after seeing Robs @rob893 Clio cup for sale i had to have a look. A couple of days before viewing Rob messaged me to let me know that the cup had started to feel a bit lumpy on idle, i decided to have a look anyway and quickly established that it had a slight misfire.
We ended up agreeing on a price that reflected the issue and i picked the car up today.
On the drive home the engine was was very strong and pulled really hard, it drives surprisingly well considering its done 125k, Rob had definitely looked after her going by the service history and general condition of the car.

Anyhow as the car stands it has the following,
KTR Stealth exhaust
KTR induction kit.
Polybush dog bone.
Poly bush innner and outer roll bar bushes
Eibach sportlines
Brembo discs and pads

Belts and dephaser were done by Fred @ BTM late 2012 so they arent due again until late 17' which is bonus, Freds timing work is showing 177bhp on the rollers!!

Quite happy with those bits as thats what i would have done.

Things i need to sort are.

Misfire on idle (ive got a feeling its just an injector)
Refurbish alloys.
Passenger seat is stuck (easy fix)
Passenger side door mouldings have gone a bit cloudy.

And then from there it will be just a general tidy up.

On the way home i snapped a few pics.

IMG_1312_zps7tvc56wh.jpg

IMG_1310_zps1cwidwnn.jpg

IMG_1309_zpsuwlzcyur.jpg

IMG_1313_zpsacbkeguq.jpg

IMG_1314_zpsd6q6oorr.jpg

IMG_1316_zpsvxlufgr1.jpg

IMG_1317_zps6m071acb.jpg

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Cheers Chris, I want to be it looking immaculate first then I may think about spacers etc. :)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Misfire seems to have sorted itself out this morning, strange. I may wip off the manifold later and just check the leads and plugs haven't got any water ingress.
Did a clip test and no faults showing, checked lambda readings, all ok.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
When I bought mine it had a slight misfire. It had been sitting for about a week or so. I put it down to that. After a drive of about 10 miles it was gone

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Sorted the passenger seat whilst at work today, quick 2 minute fix, the bar had come off, refitted all ok.
IMG_1324_zps20cr6fww.jpg

Done

IMG_1327_zpsjrv4ayl4.jpg

Engine needs a clean, (fuel rail guard at home)

IMG_1323_zpsbxkx6zcu.jpg

IMG_1325_zps6tgdbxel.jpg

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Well spotted, makes it easier for me to take the interior out tomorrow for a deep clean. No wire chopping!!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
That engine bays a mess! Car looks good though, I considered it myself but it was far too far away and bit high on the miles.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Spent all day on the Clio today, absolutely shattered now.

First up the misfire was still there, i dont think it ever went. I pulled the plugs and number 4 plug (cambelt end) was black and sooty. Spoke to @baysthebest me brother and went to his house to borrow a fuel injector from his 182 track car. Fitted it and instantly purring with no misfire. Happy days, just need to get another to replace his now. Oh yea the HT leads were fitted incorrectly, 1 and 4 were round the wrong way.
Engine feels super strong and there's no hesitation what so ever.

Plug.
IMG_1329_zps6cbwiafr.jpg

Leads, wrong way.
IMG_1332_zpslxfuvjnh.jpg

Sorted.

IMG_1333_zpsdyfzpuly.jpg

Also cleaned the filthy throttle body whilst i was there.

IMG_1330_zpsqnxh6o5x.jpg

Done.
IMG_1331_zpscv5m5elk.jpg

And then i cleaned the engine bay up.

Before.

IMG_1323_zpsbxkx6zcu.jpg

After.

IMG_1347_zpsz4980t4f.jpg

Jacked her up and cleaned all the arches out with G101 and my Nilfisk, also did the door shuts.

IMG_1360_zpsg3zecuyf.jpg

Arches, before.

IMG_1335_zpszl1ui0iq.jpg

After.

IMG_1338_zpsxtlxwvip.jpg

Next up was to clean the interior, seats out.

IMG_1349_zpsfkv7pvqj.jpg

IMG_1350_zpsaskd9i5a.jpg

IMG_1351_zpsqbqvqpe1.jpg

IMG_1352_zps0w70dhyf.jpg

Done.

IMG_1355_zpshl2isoh2.jpg

IMG_1354_zpspuvwr8m7.jpg

IMG_1353_zpspr6qwxpc.jpg

IMG_1359_zpsnbtxxirt.jpg

Seats back in.

IMG_1357_zps4pgvdrya.jpg

IMG_1358_zpscj1iyby4.jpg

Popped out to get me some beers.

IMG_1356_zpspkcnwjch.jpg

Got back, sorted my garage out so i could keep it in there as im only get a chance to use the cup 1 day a week really.

IMG_1362_zpskpgfhk5c.jpg

IMG_1363_zps5iyfko9w.jpg

IMG_1364_zpsg17quxnu.jpg

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
bob on, nothing like a deep clean to make it "yours"

Snappy wheel next?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yes, one of the thumb grips are ruined!

Need to send the wheels off to Swindon to get them powder coated to!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
You don't do things by half!! Great job and looks great now.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Got a few more bits done over the last couple of days.
Removed super glue from the bonnet, tried everything, last resort was a light wet sand and it has all now gone.

Before.

IMG_1373_zpssr6ytnwj.jpg

Sand.

IMG_1378_zpszbjmofqx.jpg

Done.

IMG_1381_zpsi1oujox2.jpg

IMG_1382_zpsxr3dp2j5.jpg

Next up was new number plates, i replace them on every car i buy and i have to stick them on, hate screwed on plates, they only cost me £7 for the pair. Also got some new 172 cup badges, £10 each from work, bloody expensive!

IMG_1384_zpspknkaqs9.jpg

IMG_1388_zps8bxvpsst.jpg

IMG_1389_zpsejc3plst.jpg

Old badges were missing the 172 bit.

IMG_1376_zpsie53kbmu.jpg

Done.

IMG_1387_zpsfzz55tnw.jpg

One other quick job i did.

IMG_1371_zpssnghg0rd.jpg

Done.

IMG_1372_zpsc6tc396q.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
It's the small items like badges that make the difference, and worth the cost. A splendid example and should be worthy of holding their value

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Got a little bit more done on the Clio today.

Sorted an issue that @rob893 mentioned in his advert. Exhaust was banging under-load. When under full throttle in 1st and 2nd you would get a horrendous noise through the cabin, Rob had the car looked at and know one could find the problem, i believe K tech fitted a new polybush dog bone and top engine mount (cambelt side) but that didn't sort it. So today i thought i would investigate as it was pissing me off. Fixed the issue within 30 seconds, undone the top engine mount and pulled the engine forward, it looked way to far back before hand. No more horrendous noises now.

Gear oil change was on the list so i got that done.
Removed the under-tray expecting to find the usual dripping/soaked sump and gearbox but to my surprise it was looking very dry, haven't seen one as good as this for years, and considering its on 125k im well happy!

IMG_1402_zpsmhttbitn.jpg

Left the gear oil to drain for 1 hour.

IMG_1404_zpsakkigjzz.jpg

Refitted plug with new genuine copper crush washer.

IMG_1406_zpsy4lu87sr.jpg

Refilled gear box with Renault elf Tranself NFJ 75W-80.

IMG_1408_zps98fylbcm.jpg

Cleaned the under-tray whilst it was off.

IMG_1411_zpst3iwu4aq.jpg

Gear changes are really nice and slick now, amazing how something such as gear oil can make such a difference.

Wheels have been sent off to my local alloy wheel powder coaters for a full refurbishment, will be silver again.
The state of them now.

IMG_1392_zpsp5hzewjj.jpg

Currently on 182 wheels for a week or so, forgot how heavy these wheels are compared to Turinis.

IMG_1412_zpsn2mdphde.jpg

IMG_1414_zpstnd0reix.jpg

Megane R26
I had that knocking noise looked at by 3 separate mechanics and no one could find an issue! Pretty depressing that it was something as simple as that.

The car looks great too!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I had that knocking noise looked at by 3 separate mechanics and no one could find an issue! Pretty depressing that it was something as simple as that.

The car looks great too!

It was pretty horrendous the noise when you nailed it in 1st and second, was like a grating vibrating knocking noise. Glad I sorted it easily. I think it was the exhaust touching the subframe.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Busy Monday again.
First up was to remove and refit the rear quarter cards correctly as the didn't sit properly, found some speakers in the back, binned them and refit the speaker wiring back into the loom. Cards got a good scrub whilst they were off.

IMG_1432_zpsaenioawh.jpg

Cut taped and tucked the wires away back into the loom.

IMG_1441_zpsl3jobpex.jpg

Then my dent guy came round and removed every single dent for £30, i use him alot and im always amazed at how good and quick his work is.

IMG_1437_zps2txpumtd.jpg

IMG_1440_zpsdrqfrt9n.jpg

Clock display bulbs have both been blown since i picked it up, replaced them both and the dash top got a good clean with G101.

Excuse the wheel, thats next on the list.

IMG_1445_zpsa2eyr5zp.jpg

Much better,temp gauge is correct as wel

IMG_1458_zpsgcbpbzwg.jpg

Went to pick my wheels up from proalloys.co.uk, had 2 new tyres fitted at the time so i now have 4 matching Pirelli P-zero Nero GT tyres!
They look fantastic! and for £180 it was an absolute bargain!

IMG_1450_zpsesxy7m3y.jpg

IMG_1451_zpstokb7rhq.jpg

IMG_1452_zpsh44l6ze4.jpg

IMG_1448_zpsnmnibyjk.jpg

IMG_1449_zpsnejfuzjb.jpg

Fresh silver Turinis, love them.

IMG_1455_zps8dozjbx1.jpg

IMG_1453_zpsnklbvtyi.jpg

IMG_1456_zpsbgyeneby.jpg

IMG_1457_zpsc4vkpcpr.jpg

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Looks absolutely lovely mate. Man after my own heart....... Clean is the only way to have them, regardless of mileage :up:

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Looks absolutely lovely mate. Man after my own heart....... Clean is the only way to have them, regardless of mileage :up:

All the cars ive purchased in the last 10 years have been bought over condition and history rather than mileage, ive had loads of 100k plus cars that have been super reliable.

A4 Avant & A3
That Cups looking spot on, I still miss mine (been gone 8 years!!..) when you selling it.....
I've still got the audi, could do with bringing it to you for a clean!