ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alpine CDA-9812RB

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Setting up question.

Ok I tried to install this earlier, but didn't have no joy. My other Kenwood head unit was sooo simple to install.

Anyway there are a few extra leads on this Alpine one. There is a ground lead, and a yellow lead with a small grey box on it. There is a sticker on this yellow lead saying: High Current draw. Connect directly to fuse block or battery. Do not connect behind dashboard

So as you can gather, I need a bit of help.

A) Where is it suitable to place the ground lead too, the lead is black in color and is about 45cm long, with a kinda hook on the end.
B) Where is it siutable to place the Yellow lead, again its about 45cm long.

Am I right in thinking that if either of these 2 leads (mention above) are NOT connected, then the head unit wont Power on?

Any tips or suggestions would be great, as I wana get this installed in my Clio - ASAP!

1.6 focus zetec....
why dont u plug everything else in and leave those 2 wires and see if it works then...if it doesnt then you know that you need 2 connect those wires somewhere but for some reason i dont think you'll have to use them

Kiza

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
kiza1986 said:
why dont u plug everything else in and leave those 2 wires and see if it works then...if it doesnt then you know that you need 2 connect those wires somewhere but for some reason i dont think you'll have to use them

Kiza

Yup all ready did that. No power, no nothing.

I reckon these 2 leads I am talking about DO need to be connected, in order for the unit to work. But need a bit of help how to get it working.

Civic type R
Both leads certainly DO need connecting.

The yellow is the main power, this Runs the unit and keeps it's memory when switched off.

The Black lead is the earth and will need connecting to a decent earth point on the chassis, There should be some where nearby under the dash for this.

You can just connect both the cables into the orignal loom but to get the best performance from the internal 60W amp it will need a proper power cable connected to the batt or fuse board.

Steve

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Ok, so I guess running a wire for a terminal on the battery wouldn't be so hard. As it can feed from the battery, thru the hole/gromit with the handle to open bonnet, then run the wire up behind the dash to the head unit. Does that sound about right?

How about the earth tho, it's a bit tight for space in the area where the head unit slots in. I already cut my hand earlier. So where, and what can I connect this earth wire?

If I am talking a load of non-sense, then please point me in the right direction.

Twingo 133
You could always lengthen the earth lead when fitting it and put the earth elsewhere but it is better to have a short as possible earth.
You do need to connect it directly to the battery due to its internal amp.

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Yeh connecting the Yellow wire to the battery is fine, but it has to be lengthened because there is no way it will reach the battery. But is what I said correct, or not:

Ok, so I guess running a wire for a terminal on the battery wouldn't be so hard. As it can feed from the battery, thru the hole/gromit with the handle to open bonnet, then run the wire up behind the dash to the head unit. Does that sound about right?

Also, where in your opinion would you put the earth, without have to extend the earth wire?

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
bump.gif

i have the same head unit mate in my clio.....wicked unit...my red and yellow are connected to each other....the prob with this is that when i turn of the engine everything resets....alpine is a bit of a pain as other units dont have that massive grey box on the bak and only have 1 power cable....buth oh well...great sound qaulity and every possible way of adjusting sound in the car u cud imagine

bass_direct

ClioSport Club Member
  375bhp mk1 +Williams
Bro has this head unit, they need to be connected to the battery...

Connect the yellow wire directly to the positive of the battery and the ground wire to the negative of the battery, then you should have no problems...

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
bass_direct said:
Bro has this head unit, they need to be connected to the battery...

Connect the yellow wire directly to the positive of the battery and the ground wire to the negative of the battery, then you should have no problems...

OK thanks for clearing the Yellow lead up, will get that connected str8 to the battery.

As for the black lead it states this in the manual:

Ground Lead (Black) Connect this lead to a good chassis ground on the vehicle. Make sure the connection is made to bare metal and is securely fastened using the sheel screw provided

IIRC I am sure I have seen a ground wire somewhere under the bonnet. Will have a look when I go down later to have a mess about with the installation.

bass_direct

ClioSport Club Member
  375bhp mk1 +Williams
It can be connected to the negative end of the battery...

or alternatively, connect it to the same earthing point as the battery's... this will be located near the battery side bonnet hinge on a mk1 clio

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
bass_direct said:
or alternatively, connect it to the same earthing point as the battery's... this will be located near the battery side bonnet hinge on a mk1 clio

Exactly what I thought, as I am sure I have seen an earth coming off the battery - sometime or other.

Interesting reads re: grounding new head units.

you'll need to extend the black wire so that it is able to reach the bodywork

i personally extended it to the fuse holder on the passenger side, though i don't recommend this to anyone, easier options can be found in the passenger footwell

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Sod this.

I tired fitting it earlier, but wasn't sure to what I was doing. Alpine seems to be much trickier to install than a Kenwood head unit

I am going to get it fitted on Saturday morning. Then at least I know it has been fitted correctly.

Skoda Fabia vRS
christ, dont pay someone to install it

its easy

and yes its harder than a kenwood, but its also a lot better than a kenwood

ive got this exact same unit and its brilliant

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
BRUN said:
christ, dont pay someone to install it

its easy

and yes its harder than a kenwood, but its also a lot better than a kenwood

ive got this exact same unit and its brilliant

Well I don't think I have got the proper tools. I don't have one of those lil gagets where you can tests the wires to see if its live, or has continous power, etc. That is very important to have, so you know that you are connecting to the correct wires.

Also need wire to extend the yellow power wire to the battery, so not sure what wire I would need, etc.

cutehomoboi said:
I tired fitting it earlier, but wasn't sure to what I was doing. Alpine seems to be much trickier to install than a Kenwood head unit
that's because it's a decent unit, unlike something made by a company who should have stuck to making food processors

where abouts in th country are you? surely a member local to you could be able to help for the price of a measly cheeseburger or similar

Skoda Fabia vRS
you dont need any tools at all

lengthen the yellow wire so it goes to the battery, and do the same with the black one so its long enough for you to put it under a nut as an earth

where do you live ?

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Bryan said:
that's because it's a decent unit, unlike something made by a company who should have stuck to making food processors

where abouts in th country are you? surely a member local to you could be able to help for the price of a measly cheeseburger or similar

Bristol, Central.

At the mo, I have booked the Clio in to get the Alpine fitted on Saturday morning @ 9am. Gonna cost me about £25-30, but if someone is in the area and will fit it, let me know...

bass_direct

ClioSport Club Member
  375bhp mk1 +Williams
Please cancel your saturday booking, that 30 quid could go elsewhere..

All you need is a coupe of wires! I would do it but your too far!

well surely if you shouted dink a mcd's he'd be abe to sort it out?

cheaper than having someone do it for £30 and at least you know he'll know what he's doing

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Yeh I did send him a message to tell him how far I got, but he didn't reply last nite. Got no reply this morning either...

:(

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Ok I am going to try and get the bits today and do it myself.

But where on earth can I get xtra wire from for the head unit? Not really sure of a car audio place in Bristol that would do that kind of thing. Also need to get my hands on a Multi-Meter to find the correct wires to connect too...

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
bass_direct said:
You don't need to go to a car audio shop for wire! Any copper wire will do!

Urmm well I have got 2 spare extension leads here, I could strip the white wire. So there are 3 wires inside (Live, Earth and Netural) would taking the live wire, and extending the yellow wire on the H/U work? Or would it not, because it's household wire?

Polo + Micra
sorry about that mate i was fucked (these 6:30 starts are killing me)

mains wiring is fine if it's the right size(over 1.00mm2)

if i had brought home my tools i could have done it for you tomorrow instead

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Dink said:
sorry about that mate i was f**ked (these 6:30 starts are killing me)

mains wiring is fine if it's the right size(over 1.00mm2)

if i had brought home my tools i could have done it for you tomorrow instead

No worries mate.

Will get it done tomorrow morning. £30 wont hurt anyway, got a stash of cash in my bank. Bout time I bloody spend it!

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Ok, we have lift off.

Alpine got fitted earlier, so am pleased about that. However there are too many settings on the unit, and it confuses me... (a bit!)
blushing.gif

There is a demo feature in the settings, so I turnt it on. Then when I was driving and the CD was playing, every few seconds 'Demo' would show on the display. But didn't really see a 'Demo' of any kind. Am I meant to press a button on the face?

Also, as for the sound settings. For those who have got one of the units, what settings would you recommend for the 'best' sound? Fitted 2 sets of Fli - 5 speakers earlier, also Clicky here for more info.

So how do I get the best sound out of them...

Skoda Fabia vRS
ah yes, the features, id forgot about those !

dont bother messing with time correction its very easy to make it sound crap

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
It doesn't have a security code either, which is a bit dissapointing. You pay all that money for it, and it doesn't have:

A flashing LED when face is removed,
A security code

Only downfall about the unit.

Also:

There is a demo feature in the settings, so I turnt it on. Then when I was driving and the CD was playing, every few seconds 'Demo' would show on the display. But didn't really see a 'Demo' of any kind. Am I meant to press a button on the face?

Anyone know about this?

many units don't have security codes, it's just thwe way things are, iirc kenwood and sony are the only units i've sene with one, and they aren't worth the time of day, plus there is no need for a flashing LED, draws attention IMO

iirc the demo function is when the unit is turned off, but i can't remember, it's been a very long time since i played with one

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Bryan said:
many units don't have security codes, it's just thwe way things are, iirc kenwood and sony are the only units i've sene with one, and they aren't worth the time of day, plus there is no need for a flashing LED, draws attention IMO

iirc the demo function is when the unit is turned off, but i can't remember, it's been a very long time since i played with one

Thanks chap.

Anyone else re: bold text?