ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

alternatives to Clio CUP

Clio 172 Cup

hi guys, if i dont get my Cup sorted out soon im gonna get shut. I dont want to, i love the car. Its rapid , and its soooooo sexy! Plus the bird loves it. BUT--im getting so pissed off the faults with the handling at the moment. They just seem to be getting worst. im getting someone to look at the car this weekend, who is fitting the Ktec camber bolts and setting that up for me. Im also getting the car lowered on eibachs, but this may enhance the handling problems if im not careful (is this true?)

anyway getting off the point, if i do decide to sell, what are serious alternatives to the cup, good mpg is a must.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Golf GTi is good 135mph Top speed, 0-60 7.3s. 52mpg

Seat Ibiza 130 Diesel, 127mph, 0-60 sub 9s 54mpg

^^^^

always one :(

Ibiza Cupra
A3 1.8T
Octavia VRS

dont know if youve realised, but they are all the same car :eek: with the same engine :eek:

Seat Leon/Ibiza Cupra R

Golf GT TDi/ GTi

Pug 206 GTi 180

civic type r(new face lift model with more bhp)

Golf GTi 52mpg? Is that right? The TDI 150 is 52mpg, thought the GTi was low to mid thirties mpg. The TDI 150 is 8.6 to 60.

lol why are people saying Golf Tdis?

I personally dont think there are any alternatives unless its second hand, id say a civic type r if you can get them for around 12k yet? Its a car like the Clio which has many great things..but it doesnt quite hit the nail on the head.

-Rob

Youve obviously never driven the TDi 150 then. Its good fun.

236 ib/ft @ 1500-4000 rpm

150 bhp @ 4000 rpm

Instant flowing power.

The Jinx

Ive owned a diesel since Feb, and itll be going probably this coming Feb, as its boring.

Once youre used to the torque surge theres nothing more to offer. Its also very annoying when you get caught in gear in corners. You find yourself changing up mid-bend in order to power out of the corner, thus you cant concentrate on steering round the corner as much.

Plus sometimes, Ive found, you just want to rev an engine and get it wailing, but hit 4000rpm in a diesel and you dont go anywhere.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by jpmad4it2 on 23 October 2003

i just want my CUP, but i want it to handle properly!
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Clio 172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 23 October 2003

Quote: Originally posted by jpmad4it2 on 23 October 2003

i just want my CUP, but i want it to handle properly!
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

the steering is f**ked

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 23 October 2003

150 bhp @ 4000 rpm

Instant flowing power.
haha good fun my arse. The golf chassis be it FWD or the Haldex 4WD is cack, no debate needed.

Speed is relative mate, might me seamless power for you but thats still slow in my book.

Handling is what counts and the golf gets nil points in that area..

-Rob

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Other cars I had on my list when deciding on the Cup were...

Civic Type-R
206 GTi-180
MG ZS180
Focus ST170
Leon Cupra or Cupra R
Ibiza Cupra
Octavia vRS
Golf 4Motion
Mini Cooper S
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
Impreza (UK model)
Integra Type-R
etc...

The Jinx

If you were going the peccy route Id say a LCR or Octavia 4x4 (chipped up to VRs power)

If diesel Id suggest the Fabia VRs Revo chipped to 180bhp.

Seat Leon Cupra R...

They are so nice, mmmm.

Or, Vauxhaull Astra GSI Turbo

Or, Subaru Impreza WRX STi w/ PPP HEH!

Nissan 200sx for some RWD oversteer action!! Very tunable, reliable, good handler, cheap to insure and quite swift.

Clio 172 Cup

i like small hot hatches - so things like mini cooper s (anyone got tech specs on these?) 206 gti, 106 gti.

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 23 October 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 23 October 2003

150 bhp @ 4000 rpm

Instant flowing power.
haha good fun my arse. The golf chassis be it FWD or the Haldex 4WD is cack, no debate needed.

Speed is relative mate, might me seamless power for you but thats still slow in my book.

Handling is what counts and the golf gets nil points in that area..

-Rob
Got to agree with you the Golf does not handle anywhere near as good as my 172 used too, however straight line speed there is hardly anything in it. GTi is faster than all the petrol Gtis and very close to the 4motion on pace, book figures of 8.5s are well off.

For £13k there isnt much alternative to a Cup, but you take a chance on getting a bad one due to the low cost, personally I wouldnt get another Renault due to their aftersales service and the amount of investigations and civil law suits against them for endangering peoples lives.

They are damn good fun when they work though.

VW as far as im aware stole the guy that designed the Focus chassis off Ford as VW admitted the MK4 Golf aint a good handling car.

My bag is older cars, but I dont think much of the current hot VAG line-up. Good image and damped cupholders etc to impress the chaps at the golf club, but pants where it counts and no soul.

Theres a Clio Cup at work and a new Astra GSi (in a similar shade of blue). The Astra looks a generation older and ultimately has little of the Cups abilities according to everything I read. Fast in a straight line is one thing and all that.

Id say that the only real contenders for the Cup are the Cooper S, Focus RS and CTR.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 23 October 2003

Just buy a Fiat Coupe, and use the rest of the cash keeping it in tip top condition.
... and servicing it!