ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator bracket and bolts missing!

My fan belt recently started to squeak, and I'd lost power steering, belt was slack, so ordered a new tensioner & belt. Started with the job and instantly noticed the alternator was loose, the pics speak for themselves, but I've lost both mount bolts for the alternator, and the supporting bracket (diagonally to the block) has just sheared off with no sign of it!

Thoughts on what caused this? It looks like the bolt has worn down the mount, but could also have been the previous owner filing it as a make shift adjuster. Concerned putting it back together, it'll just happen again

IMG_1219.jpg
IMG_1220.jpg
IMG_1222.jpg
IMG_1223.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i'd be removing the lot, sourcing good used replacements and replacing the full aux belt system. no idea whats happened there but with everything replaced for good used and new then should be sorted

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
oh and check the pullies on the AC pump and power steering pump to ensure they turn relatively freely

My plan was to replace the belt, tensioner and idler (all new genuine Renault parts). I'll also check everything spins freely.

Not sure how the belt slacking off would cause problems to the internals of pumps etc.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
it was more the other way, pump or pulley issues causing belt to have issues and break/overtension stuff