ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator problems

172 sport
Hi all,

Just 1 to put out there to see if anyone's had the same problems as myself.
Long story short the alternator is not works.
Down the garage and they took it off and got a new one.
Up to now we have had 6 and their are all wrong for my 53, 172 sport.
Its like the alternator on my car is the wrong way round to the ones we keep ordering.
We have even used the numbers on mine to match this to the one we have ordered and still cannot get one to fit.
Very confused on what's wrong.

Im going to take my alternator to be stipped down and fixed if I cannot find a new one!

Any clues???

ph2 172
had a similar issue once, got a Lucas alternator and it didn't work. Nothing wrong with it when bench tested, but would not work in the car ( 53, 172 ). Auto electricians rebuilt my existing Valeo alternator instead.

172 sport
had a similar issue once, got a Lucas alternator and it didn't work. Nothing wrong with it when bench tested, but would not work in the car ( 53, 172 ). Auto electricians rebuilt my existing Valeo alternator instead.

Yer sounds like im going to have to re build the one off the car, but how strange that out of 6 non fit as there back to front?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
pics? is yours a cup? they had different aux belt setup due to no aircon and iirc the alternator is completely different to all other sports

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
pics? is yours a cup? they had different aux belt setup due to no aircon and iirc the alternator is completely different to all other sports

Yep - that adds more complication to an already difficult-to-source-correctly part.

Even the Renault dealership that I got truly humped off in terms of getting a new one for mine, took days to get the right make/model for my 182. They even ordered the incorrect one initially.

D.