ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Alternator Tension Pulley

Family Bus
Anyone know anything about them?

Mines 'on its way out' so I am told, making a strange noise (so keeping driving to a bare minimum)

Someone mentioned the other day that if it 'goes' it will take out my cambelt and fock the engine completely? Is this accurate?

I have a replacment on the way, just very concerned that even nipping to the shops in the car could cause a monumental fail!!

Family Bus
Eeek.. glad Ive got the week off work then, think will just not bother driving it!

Couldnt cope with engine damage...nail in the coffin and all that :(

Family Bus
Had it down to a mates garage, initially I thought the alternator was fubared, but a mechanic there had a butchers and showed me the tensioner has slipped... its not sitting straight on the pulley if you get what I mean, its sorta slipped out of alignment!

Sounds a bit odd, Unless the bearing in the tensioner has collapsed. In which case you wouldnt wanna drive it.

Lionel Richie
buy the kit, not the individual part

the kit (idler, tensioner and belt) is £107

JUST the tensioner is £150

renault's stupid pricing at its best

'02 Monaco Blue 172
definately get it sorted,!!

The bearings in my alternator pulley collapsed, the pulley snapped off, took the belt into the cambelt, bent all 16 valves, cost £900 to fix!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
You should have really bought the complete kit. :(

Not only is it cheaper, but you get nice fresh parts and a new accessory belt too!

340i
I would of thought a garage would not even fit a new tensioner to an "old" belt... asking for trouble IMO eekk!!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Not a Renault dealer then?

It's not advisable to re-fit the old accessory belt. People say "not unless it looks ill etc" but would you really want to take the chance for a few quid? I wouldn't.

Although, they would've said you needed a new handbrake cable to help the problem too... and maybe a new rear beam. ;)

340i
Where did you get the parts from?!

Get it returned and we'll order the full kit!

You also need a "special" tool to remove the tensioner, although I made mine LOL ;)

Clio 182
Yeh if the aux belt comes off it could take the cambelt with it.NOT GOOD:( . But if you are close to Cheshire/Whitchurch take it too Birchdown. Mine is booked in for Friday for new aux/ cambelt. Very reasonable price and have only heard good things about them off people.
Might be worth a shout?

Mondeo TDCI 130

You also need a "special" tool to remove the tensioner, although I made mine LOL ;)

We made ours aswell!! The renault toolneeds an adaptor, and apparently its not available!!! Our tool is MINT! Welding stuff is where its at! ;)

340i

We made ours aswell!! The renault tool needs an adaptor, and apparently its not available!!! Our tool is MINT! Welding stuff is where its at! ;)

That's how we roll!! :cool:

Does yours come with the optional gaffer tape grip? (sure that was a rare RenualtSport extra haha)

Family Bus
OK! Now am worried!!

Need to get this sorted, Im keeping driving to a minimum, but I have to use it to take Clo to school n stuff :S

If I buy the full kit.. GRAY.. can you bare to work on my car again and help meeeeeeeeee??

:( Bloody thing!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
It's not a pretty job either, awkward to get to. :(

Get a trolley jack underneath and jack the engine up off the offside mount, also you'll proabably need to bumper off too.

Clio 182
OK! Now am worried!!

Need to get this sorted, Im keeping driving to a minimum, but I have to use it to take Clo to school n stuff :S

If I buy the full kit.. GRAY.. can you bare to work on my car again and help meeeeeeeeee??

:( Bloody thing!

But does need sorting kind of pronto unfortunately :(

Family Bus
Managed to source a brand new Tensioner, and belt for a reasonable price, and Norm (Matt) is trekking over on Saturday to assist!

Anyone else fancies an epic fight with my car feel free to join in LOL!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Managed to source a brand new Tensioner, and belt for a reasonable price, and Norm (Matt) is trekking over on Saturday to assist!

Anyone else fancies an epic fight with my car feel free to join in LOL!
:D

it will be fixed in 5 mins...

Lionel Richie
pre warning, they're a t**t to do, 07769712624, call me when you get stuck

don't forget the idler pulley, that's normally the noisy one

pre warning, they're a tw*t to do, 07769712624, call me when you get stuck

don't forget the idler pulley, that's normally the noisy one

LOL thanks for the head up buddy;)....im prepared for a mission...it is gems car were on about hehe:)

got your number mate....cheers pal;)

Family Bus
Depends...if you are coming, Norms coming, there's a fridge still full of your strange beers and a keg of heineken still here... so who knows

Alcohol preferable AFTER the fixage of the brum brum tbh :)

Depends...if you are coming, Norms coming, there's a fridge still full of your strange beers and a keg of heineken still here... so who knows

Alcohol preferable AFTER the fixage of the brum brum tbh :)[/quote

I'm raiding if no one else is TBH:cool:

340i
Oh jesus.... not again, Matt are you getting the same cold sweat and shivers just thinking of working on Gemma's car!

I very much doubt you will be able to do it on the street :S even with mine and Matts ghetto engineering skills LOL...
It took me, Father Gray, Father Gray's friend 2hrs to do it on a car lift with every tool you can think of at hand!.

You also need a special tool to realse the "hold" of the tensioner, like a 3/8 drive bit on a meter long bar iirc?

Mondeo TDCI 130
Its not a nice job on the street!, you need a 3.8 drive square headed tool to release the tension, can't use a ratchet, theres no room, has to be a flat bar.

Its not fun, engine mount off etc etc!