ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Always said I'd be back - Clio 172 ph1

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
So yeah. I've had 2 ph1's now (first one way back in 2006 in Black on an X) then another about 4 years later (Titanium on a W). Always said they're the best car I've ever had and decided that if one came up locally, for an ok price, in decent condition then it'd be hard to turn it down.
I've also had a ph2 Iceberg Cup but if I'm honest I didn't like the feel or looks of the ph2, just feel a lot more plastic than the ph1.

Cue the 'spotted' post a month or so ago and I'm collecting my 3rd ph1 tonight! Iceberg silver on 56k, totally stock apart from apex springs (plan to swap with eibachs), graphite F1s and a powerflow catback. Needs a bit of tidying here and there but it's an 18 year old Renault so no shocks there.

No idea what I'm doing, think I'm just going to clean it up a bit and use it occasionally. As it's rot free it'd be a shame to use it on track but no doubt it might go on at some stage.

https://www.cliosport.net/threads/y-reg-silver-ph1-172-stockport.817738/#post-11600865

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Everyone comes back ? and the best one to come back with, look forward to seeing what you do to it ?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
4th time now! 5th if you include the RS Meg. Can't beat the Clios. As soon as I got back in the memories of the old ones came flooding back, that rock hard clutch, massive (peeling) steering wheel, hydraulic PAS, dinky wheels, cable throttle, etc.
Car was 4 miles from my door so had to look. Great colour too in Iceberg, shame they don't have the alloy bonnets though like the titaniums.

Plans will just be to tidy it up, put an original Headunit back in if I can find one, eibachs, new shocks, polybush it with some cup wishbones etc, powdercoat some parts, braided lines, cup spoiler maybe. Just had a look through the FS pages, parts are as cheap as I remember still which is another plus point - they're so expensive for the Hondas.

Last edited:

mintno1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172 / Mk1 Valver
Would be rude not to look when only 4 miles away, have added cup spoiler to mine although it's the only external body difference everything else will stay as Ph1, you definitely can't beat a Ph1. Ride is good on the eibachs with cup shocks although I have just organised some Bilstein B14's for mine, am hoping I love them, will see what happens, I keep adding things I want to do though, great colour iceberg!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Heart won then!

ha yep!

Well my head won by 9pm. I decided it was just a waste of money and don't really have anywhere to put it yet (looks like I'm going to be doing some flagging this month lolz).
As soon as I'd said to my wife that I'm not gonna take it I got a message on here and my offer was accepted. So I thought sod it, why not. Will never be one so close again cos I am not driving the length of the country for an old clio in the future!

Gonna SORN it for a month or 2 and get summer out of the way and enjoy the EP on track with my bro.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Actually it's my 7th sporty Clio thinking back.

I started off with a ph2 16v on an M reg, briefly had another N reg one on turbines and about 8 years or so ago I bought @imprezaworks ph2 track car off him, but it was too harsh for our annual ring trip so I never actually got it on track!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
So just the clio as a fun, hobby car?
I have absolutely no idea! Brentacre said they'll insure me with limited miles but I'm just gonna stick it in the garage for now.

Maybe just slowly tart it up for next year and sell a civic

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Haha you always said you wanted another, congrats.

Dibs on the ep when the time comes mate.. seriously.
Ha ok. Not got much say in that though cos my brother has paid for half. If any it'd be the fn that would make way next year.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Well that was a fun drive back to Wigan. Another crash on the m60 somewhere so massive tailbacks meant crawling traffic.

Still, at least I got to see how the clio fared in commuter standstill traffic. Temp needle firmly in the middle and drives perfectly!

Blood quick little thing this, maybe its just placebo cos of the powerflow exhaust (defo too loud for me) but it absolutely flies. Smooth too.

Brakes are bob on and no knocks or rattles from anywhere except a loose door card. Drives totally straight and quite comfy even on apex springs with the brand new 50 profile toyos which are pretty soft.

Really good nick for 18 years now, regardless of the low miles.
Dephaser nice and quiet, gearchange tight and precise too. Takes some getting used to with the low down gear stick though and massive wheel and indicator stalks.

If I'm honest theres naff all chance that I'd daily this thing, as a 38 year old accountant i did feel a bit mid life crisis, ha.

Car looks really good though and drives really well for the age. Great fun, just as I remembered (bar my ringing ears)

Still not sure why I bought it, proper impulse purchase to be honest. Will see if it replaces the ep for track or maybe just an occasional hoon over summer like back in my 20s (see, mid life crisis)

Will tart it up over summer and see how I feel. Would be good to get the original stereo and give the interior a proper deep clean. Same for the engine bay and also get the das on the lovely iceberg paint. Such a nice silver.

6306eb469236044a61dad17897dcf10b.jpg
cd34e04fac707e0ffbca386571c51911.jpg
def422e4b6304939bb5a8b956b94aaf4.jpg
ca5edb17497379364dfef47ecb8cc698.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Cant beat silver cars with graphite wheels. Looks so fresh. I'm sure these cars were bigger when I last had one too, it feels proper small. Nothing like an impulse buy :)

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Mum and wife are both absolutely delighted. Wife won't go anywhere near it! Says I look like a complete bellend and its too loud, lolz.
Mum's wondering if she'll get her garage back, ha

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Pics of usual problem areas. Like a new car compared to my ep! Bugger all rust.

Hopefully get the interior scrubbed up is first project, then little tidy up jobs and a machine polish. Don't actually think it needs anything doing apart from maybe a polybushed dogbone cos I prefer the feel of poly, got poly mounts in both the hondas.

Looks like I have til end of July/early august ish to find a home for it! Buy now think later :)

9470d5dc1fc04c68c2f1278b706483b0.jpg
24aae490259083d31170c9acbb524d2b.jpg
69757b1b3c44103ec17e7f630471fffd.jpg
90d5ad52a19b55180f621bcf9f427e7e.jpg

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Not really going to plan, this.

Mate back home has his old astra gte in bits in his unit so no room at that inn either. Can store the ep at the garage up in Blackburn but at a cost of 100 a month, ouch, not keen on that idea either.

Might be a short ownership this, nothing like a well prepared and thought out car purchase. Reminds me of that atr I had for a week!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
It is yeah. Only got the space til after our track days and brother goes back toward end of July.

Still time yet. Sat in the garage for now.