ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Android users - Road Awareness App

Hi Guys,

I would like to ask you guys a question and see how much interest there is in participating in a project I am working on just now. I am currently working on my Masters project in Computing and funnily enough I need drivers, their cars and their android phones! :)

Myself and a few other students have put together an Android application that drivers are meant to use whilst out driving in their car. The application itself involves no interaction whilst driving so don't panic - I am not trying to get you pulled over. You simply open the app and hit start before you commence on your journey, and then hit the stop button when you have parked up.

The app itself monitors the accelerometer and GPS in your phone to detect when you are stuck in traffic or have pulled an emergency stop. If it detects you are in a traffic jam or pull an emergency stop, this data is sent to a server which aggregates all the data from the users, essentially building a database of locations for bad traffic and dangerous junctions. The motivation behind this app is that with enough data, we can then identify areas for road improvement ('yay' i hear you say?) and also be able to identify bad traffic, all in real time.

In return for your participation, the application will notify you of any relavent information based on where you are e.g. If someone using the app pulled an emergency stop up ahead of you 20 minutes ago, it will give you a voice message telling you so - hence you be more careful - making roads safer.

If the app proves to be successful, their is discussion that it could be taken forward in the future to detect when you hit or swerve to avoid a pothole and even notify the council automatically (yay again ?)

NB
- This app is only for Android phones.
- All data is anonymous (I can't tell who recorded what sudden brake).
- Ethical clearance has been granted by the University of Strathclyde.
- The study is due to last 2 weeks (you do not have to participate everyday for the few weeks, just when you remember).

You must read the user guide before you use the application. The guide can be found at: https://www.dropbox....Study Guide.pdf

The application itself can be downloaded (via the phone browser) at: http://tinyurl.com/b26oalh

Finally, thank you to anyone who participates and if you have any questions please do put them on this forum and I will do the best to answer them

David

Sounds like you're doing a project on 'big data' (Hate that phrase so much). Wish you luck but I have a s**tberry so I can't help!

We are indeed. It can be a pain but the more people we get using the app, the more data we get and the easier it will become to find patterns.

Here is a quick screenshot of some of the data we managed to interpret last week...

Screen Shot 2013-03-06 at 15.10.07.jpg

We are indeed. It can be a pain but the more people we get using the app, the more data we get and the easier it will become to find patterns.

Here is a quick screenshot of some of the data we managed to interpret last week...

View attachment 94052

Looks a pretty good program mate! Are you using bootstrap for the backend?

Edit: Nevermind just noticed it's on Splunk!

What does the app look like? It it just a start/stop button? :)

It's open to everyone who has an Android phone. It works with the GPS location so should work worldwide.

Would be interesting to have data from abroad as well.

Where are you based?

Anyone else willing to try this out for us?

We are looking to wrap up the report at the start of next week so any and all data that we can collect would be most useful.

I personally appreciate it if you do.

It's open to everyone who has an Android phone. It works with the GPS location so should work worldwide.

Would be interesting to have data from abroad as well.

Where are you based?

Germany, I do a lot of miles driving from Hamburg to Amsterdam. Hamburg to Bremen etc

I'd like to thank each and every person that participated by using this app in the past couple of weeks.

We have managed to whittle down the data provided to give nearly 300 locations of potholes/traffic jams/harsh braking etc throughout the UK.

sev 4 and above.jpg

The final report is just about complete for this application but we do intend to keep on developing this in the future.

Again, thanks to anyone who participated and provided us any data however small, it is very much appreciated.

David