ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 182 Climate Control Problem

Audi S3 Saloon
Hi all, have read loads of posts on these issues, but can't really pin down any of them as yet!

Basically the climate control won't start blowing at all until about 5-10 mins into the journey but then seems to blow strongly and change temp ok after that.

I have read that it could be:

1) Low/old battery.
2) Sticking fan.
3) resistor/rheostat.
4) Ambient temp sensor fault- as I can hear a loud buzzing from under the interior light!

How do I diagnose this better to rule any of these out?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks. Adam

Its not a problem, its designed to avoid blowing cold air into the cabin when you first start the car. The climate control kicks in once the engine temperature has started to rise.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
As above, makes sense, as all it would do is blow ice cold air in your face.

Audi S3 Saloon
Cheers guys, I wasn't sure if this was the case.

So basically, if I fire her up in the morning and press the windscreen demist button, that should start blasting the window straight away (so I can hear it blowing etc)? How long does normally this take to clear the screen on a cold morning?

Otherwise the normal C.C will kick in after the engine has warmed?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Demist button will put the fan on full with air con on and start working straight away. Still quicker to use a cloth but it's good if the mist comes back on the move.

The CC kicks in from the start a bit and as the temp rises the fans get quicker.

Clio 182
The problem I'm having with mine is that when I press the front windscreen de-mister button, the climate control screen shows maximum power (bars all the way to the top), but there's nothing coming from the fan for anywhere between 5-20 minutes. I'm sure I never had this problem last Winter.

Audi S3 Saloon
Same here, not great when the journey is only 5 mins and the screen won't be clear by then!? Is this normal?

The problem I'm having with mine is that when I press the front windscreen de-mister button, the climate control screen shows maximum power (bars all the way to the top), but there's nothing coming from the fan for anywhere between 5-20 minutes. I'm sure I never had this problem last Winter.

You would definitely hear the fans

Audi S3 Saloon
Hi guys,

Fitted a new rheostat and gave the fan a whack and its working, so was sticking before.

Any ideas how to take the fan out and give it a clean?

Cheers

Clio 182
Hi guys,

Fitted a new rheostat and gave the fan a whack and its working, so was sticking before.

Any ideas how to take the fan out and give it a clean?

Cheers

So, was it the rheostat (I heard climate control doesn't use these, has something called a PWM?) or the fan, or both?

Mines in the garage currently being investigated. They reckon changing the rheostat is big job as it involves getting behind the dash? Is this true, if not, how do you get to it?

Cheers

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
So, was it the rheostat (I heard climate control doesn't use these, has something called a PWM?) or the fan, or both?

Mines in the garage currently being investigated. They reckon changing the rheostat is big job as it involves getting behind the dash? Is this true, if not, how do you get to it?

Cheers

I think when your refering to the rheostat you mean what a lot of people also call the resistor pack and it is a 5 min job to change. Its under th driversside windscreen and you get to it from outside by removing the plastic by the wiper.