ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 197 mini review....

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
...if anyone is still reading these lol.

Had a test drive today and coming form a 182 cup here's what I think

Plus points
The interior is a huge step forward for renault, looks nice and actually seems to be built properly. There were no squeeks or rattles throughout the test drive, despite the firm suspension.

Seats are great, nicely finished and a snug fit. Better than the 182.

The steering wheel is an improvement, nice shape and size. I don't know why they fitted that huge wheel to the 182 :rolleyes: The actual steering is a mixed bag. It's very light and gives little feedback, I can't "feel the road" like I can in my 182. However it is very direct and precise.

The gear box is hugely improved. The throw is shorter and the action is much more precise. You can slot up and down the gears very quickly.

The exhaust has a much more gruntier tone to it which I like. It didn't seem too noisy when pootling around either.

The car looks good, better than it does in pictures. It's a very broad and muscular machine that's sure to have road presence.

I won't comment on handling, we weren't on the right kind of roads for that.

Overall the car is a big step up quality wise. This is a superior vehicle to the 182, make no mistake.

Bad points
Performance....I know others have commented. The car seems to have less low down pull than the 182. Surprising given the extra power and shorter ratio box. It just didn't seem eager to please like the 182 does. Granted it didn't have many miles on it, but my 182 was better in this repect when it was new. I could forgive this if the power was there up top, but it doesn't seem to be. This car is slower to 100 than the 182 and having driven it I can see why.

The car still has that highly irritating throttle lag that was common to all mark 2 clios with FBW throttles. I was hoping that this would have been improved as it kind of detaches you from what the car is doing in this respect. I didn't like the position of the pedals in much. I had size 11 shoes on and I did accidentally step on the throttle and brake at the same time as I think they are a little too close together.

Price. Anyone buying one of these today is off their head. The deal today was £17.5k before any extras were added. Over the next 6 months this car will depreciate by at least £1000 over and above the usual depreciation. The salesman agreed and said it wouldn't be sensible to buy one now, wait 6-12 months and you will have far better deals on offer. If you have to buy something today buy a meggy and pocket the £2.5k difference. Ideally this car needs to slot into the 13-14k bracket to be competitive.

As it stands I don't think this car will go into the history books as a classic hot hatch like the 205 gti or 172. It an excellent car but it's not a hooligan which is what a classic hot hatch requires. I'm hoping renault can pull something off with a cup or trophy version. Having said that it is an excellent car and it deserves to do well. I'm sure it will meet the needs of a lot of people, but I suspect the hot hatch enthusiast will be looking elsewhere.

Needs more grunt. 190 odd bhp is good from a 2 litre but not the best specific output i've seen. Lots of the weight gain is unavoidable due to new pedestrian crash regs but its a great shame the folk at Renaultsport didnt realise that the market would demand more power and ensure the Clio comfortably eclipsed its predecessor.

At £12k odd new my 182 was a bargain but loads of the standard kit is now a cost option making it an expensive car in the current NO DISCOUNT marketplace. If I was willing to spend around £18k I wouldn't consider the 197. I'd hang on till March for the similarly priced new CiviC Type R at that money.

However, with 24% discount a loaded 197 should come in around £13.5k in around a years time. At that money its unbeatable.

GW RS200
Roy Munson said:
Gear ratios engineered to restrict it's potential. That's the only explanation for it IMO.
Huh? Those super short ratios are clearly there to get its humungous heft to 60 and 100 in a similar time to it's predecessors?
s.

meady100 said:
Huh? Those super short ratios are clearly there to get its humungous heft to 60 and 100 in a similar time to it's predecessors?
s.

None of it adds up though. With the same power to weight and the same number of cogs, a CTR manages to be quicker to 60, quicker to 100, and almost top 150mph. The maths dont add up for the 197. IMO anyway :)

Nissan 350Z
What are the gear ratios then?

Anyone know what the 197 tops out at in each gear?

AFAIC, the 182 is a better drivers car and i aint even driven it. After all the impressions from members here, i dont have to. And it was obvious anyway.

pbirkett said:

AFAIC, the 182 is a better drivers car and i aint even driven it. After all the impressions from members here, i dont have to. And it was obvious anyway.

197:
1ST 39 mph @ 7500rpm
2ND 63 mph @ 7500rpm
3RD 83 mph @ 7500rpm
4TH 101 mph @ 7500rpm
5TH 119 mph @ 7500rpm
6TH 131 mph @ 6800rpm

RATIONS:
1ST 3.18
2ND 1.95
3RD 1.48
4TH 1.21
5TH 1.03
6TH 0.87
FINAL DRIVE RATIO: 4.31

pbirkett said:

I'm not sure. Although I didnt witness it myself, the salesman told me it will do 70+ in 2nd gear. That's quite strange for a 6 speeder in this class I think, and it suggests that 1st & 2nd are quite high. Close ratio doesnt mean low ratio. I'm thinking that 1st is high and 6th is low, with tight ratios between them. In my mind it's the explanation for the relatively poor accelaration AND top speed.

EDIT: it seems the salesman was talking bollox LOL, what a surprise.

I guess it simply doesnt have 197ps then.

car? need a license 1st!
for that kinda money, u might as well get a Focus ST, my dad has one and I drove it quite often before I got banned.

All I can say it PHWOAR!!! Clios? forget it.. that thing is a beast.

cock mobile.
Evil Ally said:
I had size 11 shoes on and I did accidentally step on the throttle and brake at the same time as I think they are a little too close together.

Sounds good for heal toeing!!

Clio Cup
Get down to reno watford for some nice bullshiting on what this car will do. Supposed to be a great deal quicker than the 182.

The gear ratios have been engineered to figuratively show the 197 at it's best. 63mph in 2nd is to allow it to hit 100kph (62.5 mph)with only one gearchange (Mandatory Euro 0-100kph figures) and the 4th gear topping out at just over 100mph is for the same reason (0-160kph Euro to achieve the best time.).

Who's ever heard of a modern high powered hot hatch only doing 100mph in fourth?

The accelaration figures may produce reasonable reading but it's obvious that the engine is hurting with all that weight. The 5th and 6th gear ratios are ludicrously short and again have been engineered to try and mask the cars increase in weight.

It's a shame really because other than outright grunt this is a fine car. I guess we'll have to look forward to a 220bhp cup version.

Last edited:
  Lux'd Glacier White R26
speedynz said:
Who's ever heard of a modern high powered hot hatch only doing 100mph in fourth?

^^^ The 182 can only hit 100 in 4th :S

IIRC:

1st: 41 mph
2nd: 62 mph
3rd: 92 mph
4th: 111 mph
5th: 145+ mph

Give or take with GPS...

Tyson.

Scirocco GT 210
speedynz said:

The CTR tops out at 100mph in 4th. I'm sure other 6-speeders do too.

speednz said:
It's a shame really because other than outright grunt this is a fine car. I guess we'll have to look forward to a 220bhp cup version.

Any cup version probably won't have any extra power because this will start hitting meg 225 sales.

172 mk2 Iceberg
good review just about what i thought but
you didnt mention the better turning circle....
which i found a joy compared to mk2 clio
The dealer couldnt tell me if the seats were avalible in leather
or just cloth...
I also found the clutch to be a lot cleaner and the geat box less notchy
and the tork steer had gone...
why had they messed up 6th gear i had 4k at 80mph same as the five speed
mk2 box.... was hoping for a longer ratio 6th for longer journeys

Tyson-182 said:
^^^ The 182 can only hit 100 in 4th :S

IIRC:

1st: 41 mph
2nd: 62 mph
3rd: 92 mph
4th: 111 mph
5th: 145+ mph

Give or take with GPS...

Tyson.
The 182 will do 112 in fourth (true, not indicated) that's 12% higher and with a lower rev limit.