ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 200bhp 172 conversion!

Well guys, I dont know the details of it yet, but in the latest pGTi magazine on the Prima Racing ad (P.21) they are offering .....

200bhp Engine conversion Inc. computer re-map £1250 fitted.

Anyone know about it?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

ooooo no im not speaking to them.

Not after the £750 thing

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Okay, so whos gonna contact them and find out exactly what it involves???

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Spoke to them consists of: (bloke said)

Ported and polished head

reprogramed ecu/superchip

Thats it.

Bugger, Ive got to stop thinking about this stuff..... Im getting paranoid that the tbs will produce 195 bhp now ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH

:p

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

you sure that there aint a 172<-------->200 switch on the ecu?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio16v on 01 September 2003

Spoke to them consists of: (bloke said)

Ported and polished head

reprogramed ecu/superchip

Thats it.
Sounds like...

Oh dear, will no one ever produce a sensible tuning package for the 172? Or maybe just get independent proof that their supposed 200bhp conversions are genuine.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

.....anyone actually thought that these tuning companies are saying 200PS not 200BHP?

If thats the case like renualt it probably could be attainable. I suppose renault did this cheap marketing tatic so whats stopping these other tuning companies?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by aaronc on 01 September 2003

.....anyone actually thought that these tuning companies are saying 200PS not 200BHP?

If thats the case like renualt it probably could be attainable. I suppose renault did this cheap marketing tatic so whats stopping these other tuning companies?
But...

200ps = 197.3bhp so still a LOT of power!!!

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

ya, i rang prima ages ago to ask bout their tb conversion, they were about as helpful as a pack of pork chops at a jewish wedding, the guy was so guarded bout wot to tell me, all i got was the "i dont think u got the money" tone. just head and chip remap....yeah right, another bullsh*t company. i paid cash for my 172...aint got the money..f**k u prima, t**sers.

nah in all fairness maybe we should make the same offer we did to lad i.e. cost of the RR run or run on 1/4 strip to prove themselves, tom get emailing them :D

someone should call them, pretend to be a bit of a tim nice but dim and see what kinda of bulsh*t they come up with, then breack out picking apart what he has said, see how true it is,

Or if a few people call him and see if stories match!!

But the challenge sounds more interesting

Renault Laguna Coupe

If this was all it took to get a 172 up to 200bhp then Nick Hill would have been selling these conversions like hot-cakes for months now.

Renault Laguna Coupe

I doubt he would stoop to sl*gging-off the opposition. I think the lack of a Hill-Power conversion says it all really.

Since Renault claim the 172 has 172 hp and it gets about 160 on RR then for a company to claim 200hp it would only have to get 186 on a RR.

186 I would imagine is quite easy to achive with a chip and exhaust its just that it is 14hp short of the magic 200 that 172 owners are aiming for.

EDD

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 01 September 2003

Since Renault claim the 172 has 172 hp and it gets about 160 on RR
But Renault only claim 172bhp (DIN) aka 172ps which is actually 169.7bhp in UK terms and youll find that many of them do make that power or thereabouts...

In fact, some make more!

Since Renault claim the 172 has 172 hp and it gets about 160 on RR then for a company to claim 200hp it would only have to get 186 on a RR.

186 I would imagine is quite easy to achive with a chip and exhaust its just that it is 14hp short of the magic 200 that 172 owners are aiming for.

EDD

Hahahaha 160 hp? What you on? I have seen Cup/172s nearly make 160 @ the wheels.

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 01 September 2003

EDD

Hahahaha 160 hp? What you on? I have seen Cup/172s nearly make 160 @ the wheels.
Sorry for the highjacking here but -

whats the difference, is one what the engine can produce, and the other what the car can effectivly get onto the road?

Rorrie Yep the transmission and other related items mean that the Hp released at the wheel isnt the same as created at the fly wheel. The figure many people claim there car produces is the flywheel figure although its difficult to know exactly how much power is removed by the gearbox etc. The figure for losses in the transmission are (I hear) almost guessed by the operator of the RR. The only way that engines can be compaired is by saying the HP at wheel as that is the achaul power you put down.

I have to admit Im not very knowedgable about the outputs of 172 and was just going by what I could remember on the achual outputs. I didnt know 172 achually made he Hp they claimed. I was under the impression that they claimed more than they made.

Is someone going to prove me wrong gain. My knowelge of cars is usless I just read up at work what I have emailed myself from the web at home so its not 100% acurate.

EDD

Edde - the output seems to vary alot on 172s. At a RR day last year my old MK2 172 put out mailto:136bhp@wheels">136bhp@wheels / approx. mailto:156@fly">156@fly and an identical 172 MK2 on the same day put out mailto:152bhp@wheels">152bhp@wheels / approx. mailto:174bhp@fly">174bhp@fly. So some make more, some make less. My MK1 172 is 1 second quicker over a 1/4 mile than my MK2 was, but its about the same as the 174bhp MK2 172 over a 1/4 mile. All very bizzare!

Was the millage/ running in period affecting your car or the other 172?

The Mk2 and Mk1 had different gearboxes I belive so that could have affected the 1/4 mile time I guess. I think the Mk1 had a closer ratio gearbox but someone out ther will know for sure.

EDD

MK1 has a slightly longer gearing. Cant remember all of them, but 4th gear in the mk1 does 121mph and in the mk2 does about 111mph. The shorter gearing makes up for the extra weight I guess. I want a mk2 gearbox in my mk1.

At the RR day, both out 172s had similar mileage. Paddys thrashed from new, mine run in properly, but thats not necessarily the reason.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Surely its not down to how short the ratios are but how the ratios match the engine characteristics, ie, when you change gear, the revs fall back down to max torque.