ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another Impact Wrench question...

Clio 182 Trophy
Trying to use my Amazon voucher after Christmas and always fancied an impact wrench. Anyone heard of / used one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XKLYQZW/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I know it's mains powered but that's not a problem as I can use an extension lead. And as far as I understand it, it means I can get much power without going air tools.

Edit: How can I stop the amazon link converting into it's own media doo-dah?

Last edited:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Personally I would still get a cordless one. I used to have the Clarke wired one, but just found it to much hassle do barely got used.

I picked up a small Makita impact driver for <£60 off Amazon (albeit a bare unit as I had batteries and charger already). Only has a max torque of 160nm, but so far it's tackled most things I've thrown at it car wise.

Trying to use my Amazon voucher after Christmas and always fancied an impact wrench. Anyone heard of / used one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XKLYQZW/?tag=cliospnet01-21

I know it's mains powered but that's not a problem as I can use an extension lead. And as far as I understand it, it means I can get much power without going air tools.

Edit: How can I stop the amazon link converting into it's own media doo-dah?

I've always found with a corded unit like the above, they don't last long and they're a b*****d to use in anything that's a smaller space. Where as a cordless unit is usually smaller for the same/more torque and will let you work on most things.

monaco 172
I've got the Clark wiered one and hardly use it.

I thought I liked the idea of just using an extension cable but it's just hassle. And to be honest it can't undo most tight bolts on the Clio anyway so found myself having to use a rachet and spanners any way.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Can't go wrong with a Milwaukee 1/2". Mine isn't even the top spec one and it'll undo everything to 600nm. Not bad for £250.

I've got a 3/8" sub compact too which will do around 120nm, although that figure is questionable.

If you're going to use it a fair bit then you'll find one worth while, but just for wheel bolts every now and again I wouldn't bother with anything but the cheap cordless ones off eBay. Boschmann I think they are.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I guess if the op linked the 50 squid one, he won’t want the 250+ ones.

Like james said unless you will use it a fair bit just buy a cheap one.

330i. E30 Touring.
I've had this one for a good few years, so do a couple of mates. Plenty good enough for the odd day on the driveway:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DU...MPACT-WRENCH-RATCHET-2-BATTERIES/222408523829

You get the odd bolt on a Clio it won't undo, but not many. Rear shock lowers and driveshaft nuts on some if they're scabby. From experience, it's the batteries that don't last quite as long as the big brands, but as long as you have one on charge, while you're using the other it works perfectly well.

Clio 182 Trophy
Thanks for the replies. I was really just looking to use up my voucher but if the consensus is that it isn't worth having that cheap corded one, then I won't. I'd probably use it a couple of times per month so I don't really need £250+ either. I'll look forward to getting one of those big beasts at some point though [emoji16]

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
My mates corded one was weaker than my cheapo cordless jobbie - no idea why.

Realistically there's few bolts you actually need one of these things for anyway so don't go mad if it won't get used much, although they are good fun.

330i. E30 Touring.
My mates corded one was weaker than my cheapo cordless jobbie - no idea why.

Realistically there's few bolts you actually need one of these things for anyway so don't go mad if it won't get used much, although they are good fun.

I reckon swapping an engine or gearbox, a cheapy impact saves you about an hour on the driveway vs hand tools (not to mention keeps your arms strong for the duration)

DrewHughes

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6 GSR
I got a 3/8 snap one, and it's literally the best tool I've ever bought, use it for everything. Wheel nuts to Airbox bolts.

I call it the noisy cricket....like from men in black

Flamer Barn Find
url

url

I use all Dewalt gear at work so have all the batteries and chargers etc. I've just recently bought the 3/8 and 1/2 inch impacts - the 1/2" one undone all driveshaft nuts on a Clio and nearly snapped my wrists in the process.

dan's cast offs.
push the boat out and get something like the milwaukee, well worth it. i've got one and it's very rare it gets beaten.
the downside with cheap ones is they will quote a brakeaway torque but it only holds that figure for a second or two so you end up having to crack it off with a breaker bar and that kind of defeats having the gun in the first place.

cheaper and maybe better option would be go for a 3/8" drive, you'll have to crack more stuff off with it but will get more use from it that a 1/2" big gun. i'd say i use my 3/8" gun about ten times as much as my 1/2" one.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I've also been looking at cheap impact wrenches, I only have the occasional need, but it would be nice if I could get a reasonably priced gun with some grunt....

I've spotted this 3/8" gun which quotes 320nm torque. Advantage is the size and lithium battery. Might need a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter for some of my sockets.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CPS-24V-...151309&hash=item3afee24032:g:hzEAAOSw94taAuvF

Or this one that @Budgie recommended earlier in the thread, 1/2", also quoted @ 320nm, advantage of 2 batteries (but NiCd), but looks heavier & bulkier.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DU...9?clk_rvr_id=1422601991330&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Could anyone have an educated guess if the 3/8" one is likely to cope with say the odd hub nut (I've got my driveshafts to do soon :weary::smile:)? I'm sure it'll be ok with wheel nuts though :smirk:. I just hope it'll make life easier when working on the car & swapping wheels over on trackdays etc.....

Thanks!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I've always gone with the bigger is better way of thinking.

I've used that second one, done crank pulley bolts and all sorts of stuff.

Clio 197
I've also been looking at cheap impact wrenches, I only have the occasional need, but it would be nice if I could get a reasonably priced gun with some grunt....

I've spotted this 3/8" gun which quotes 320nm torque. Advantage is the size and lithium battery. Might need a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter for some of my sockets.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CPS-24V-...151309&hash=item3afee24032:g:hzEAAOSw94taAuvF

Or this one that @Budgie recommended earlier in the thread, 1/2", also quoted @ 320nm, advantage of 2 batteries (but NiCd), but looks heavier & bulkier.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DU...9?clk_rvr_id=1422601991330&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Could anyone have an educated guess if the 3/8" one is likely to cope with say the odd hub nut (I've got my driveshafts to do soon :weary::smile:)? I'm sure it'll be ok with wheel nuts though :smirk:. I just hope it'll make life easier when working on the car & swapping wheels over on trackdays etc.....

Thanks!
I have just ordered the second one - should be here in the next day or so. Think I may jack the car up and take when wheels off just to try it :tongueout:.
My socket set is 1/2" so naturally went for that - will be doing a cambelt soon (not clio) so will need the extra grunt of 1/2"

I've recently bought one of the Ryobi ONE+ 1/2 impact guns and it's great. Nice small unit that packs a punch, LED light on it and seems like it will take a battering on the oustside. Used it this past weekend to do springs and a few other bits on my mates 200T and it didn't struggle with anything.
Was only about £110 plus a charger but the batteries are interchangeable with all the other ryobi gear (drill, grinder etc).

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've recently bought one of the Ryobi ONE+ 1/2 impact guns and it's great. Nice small unit that packs a punch, LED light on it and seems like it will take a battering on the oustside. Used it this past weekend to do springs and a few other bits on my mates 200T and it didn't struggle with anything.
Was only about £110 plus a charger but the batteries are interchangeable with all the other ryobi gear (drill, grinder etc).

The Ryobi stuff does look quite good i must admit.

Clio 182 Trophy
It really does. Batteries are expensive so the idea you can use one battery across the range makes it great. Nearly got their impact wrench on black Friday as it was ~£100 for it + a battery.

The Ryobi stuff does look quite good i must admit.
It really does. Batteries are expensive so the idea you can use one battery across the range makes it great. Nearly got their impact wrench on black Friday as it was ~£100 for it + a battery.

Yeah I nabbed the 1/2 impact and the medium size 4.0ah battery and it lasted the day in the garage last weekend. Slowly going to buy more of their kit as and when it's needed since the battery is the expensive bit usually.

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
iv got this bad boy through work,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00VXN829E/?tag=cliospnet01-21

"Powerful fan-cooled motor delivers up to 950Nm of torque and 2,400 impacts per minute for heavy duty fastening applications Up to 1625Nm of 'breakaway' torque ensures removal of the tighest bolts"

don't know if the figures are true but hasn't failed me yet

205 gti
I've got one of the Dewalt DCF899 models, I haven't found anything yet it won't undo. Think I paid £230ish with a 5ah battery, and carry bag.

That dewalt has a similar spec of the Makita DTW1002Z I just bought. Its an animal, I hardly ever put it on its highest setting, theres nothing it cant handle.

I was changing the rod ends today and one of bolts was spinning around inside, i just set it to max and held the trigger, no problem haha

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
  330i. E30 Touring.
Well I got one of these as recommended by @Budgie (thanks for the tip) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DU...MPACT-WRENCH-RATCHET-2-BATTERIES/222408523829 - and it’s a winner! The hubnuts were a piece of p1$$ :tonguewink: (I couldn’t undo them with a breaker bar btw).
I paid £70, and although the eBay advert indicates it’s unbranded, the one I got was a Neilsen which are £85 usually.

Recommended :up:.

Glad you're pleased mate. Best £70 I've ever spent tool wise. Mine's taken a complete battering over the last 4 years and is still going strong!

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_2018-02-10-13-10-18.png

Well I've been a bad boy after reading this thread. I did the classic justifying it all I wanted, I had to buy it. Checked reviews and this one was the best I could get for the money really. I feel so dirty but I can't wait to try it...