ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another 'Is it a write off' thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
On my way home tonight to come round a bend and see the traffic had stopped, new I wasn't going to be able to stop in time. Emergency stop and still went into the back of a Ford Mondeo.

Can't take any pictures as it's too dark, but how much of the value of the car is repairable before they write it off? car is a 55 plate 182 in liquid yellow, 50k miles with both cup packs. Was in pretty much perfect conditions bar 1 or 2 blemishes. Value of car????

Parts needing replacing/ repair:
Bonnet is buckled
Both front wings are cracked
possibly marked/ scratched door
front bumper wrecked
both upper and lower grilles cracked
cup splitter, split
headlight mounts broken on both headlights
Top panel that bonnet shuts onto bent
lower member that sits behind rads bent (crumple zones behind member appear to be ok)
radiator bent
AC rad bent

Can't see any more damage until it all comes apart but I reckon atleast a few thousand to get it back up to scratch after labour and spraying costs. Not sure if the glorious LY will survive to see another summer. If it doesn't, I doubt I'll get another RS. Not keen still on the 197/200 and just couldn't settle for another 182 that wasn't mine. I've had her since new :dapprove:

White ds3
guted for you m8 piks would be easyer to estimate the cost ect

also i think if its over 50% the value of the car its a writeoff

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Thats s**t mate :( sorry to hear it. Would be a shame to see 1 less LY as well!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
With the price of the parts, LY I.D paint and labour, i'd say its goodnight Vienna!

:(

S4 Avant
I wouldn't have thought they'd write that off from the sounds of things, unless the pictures tell a different story

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Gutted for you mate, dont know about valuations but they dont always write cars off. A mate has just caused £3900 worth of damage to a £4500 clio and the insurance co are repairing it this week.

Paint cost could kill it though, be sad to see a LY go :(

S4 Avant
As far as I'm aware, liquid yellow paint isn't any more expensive than any other paint. It was just an expensive option in the first place.

Last edited:
  Golf GT & A4 Avant
Value of repairs, £2-3000

Going too fast around a bend, priceless.

Not being there, not knowing the situation, being a clever d!ck and coming up with silly comments , keyboard warrior! Go find another thread to spam!

Coming off a dual carriageway towards a roundabout, having to wait for other cars to come round before entering said roundabout which has a fairly tight ish bend as you come off to see the traffic had stopped just as you come out of the bend. road is still a dual carriageway in a 40 limit. Did contemplate moving into outside lane but car behind me had already done that as I started to break so left me no where to go.

If you were there, a passenger in my car, then I'd let you come out with something like that. Otherwise go chew the kerb Peter Perfect.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
As far as I'm aware, liquid yellow paint isn't anymore expensive than any other paint. It was just an expensive option in the first place.

Cost of paint isn't much in it, cost of labour for multiple base layers, colour layers and top coats would be the defining factor.

My first car got vandalised but didn't really care for it to much, I feel so fed up after spending so much time looking after this one and correcting every little problem I ever found.

Could go either way tbh. LY is a bit of a pain in the ass with it being a 3 stage (sometimes more) colour compared to a normal 2 stage colour. Plus the fact you'll need to blend it onto the doors, which is another pain in the ass as get it slightly wrong and it'll stand out a mile off.

Hope you get it sorted quick, I've seen a lot worse repaired so I'd expect it won't be written off but you never know with different insurance companies.

S4 Avant
Cost of paint isn't much in it, cost of labour for multiple base layers, colour layers and top coats would be the defining factor.

Oh yeah, I know that much, it's labour which bumps the cost up. My original statement was aimed at the "LY is expensive paint" brigade... no it's not, it's just paint, like normal regular paint.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Oh yeah, I know that much, it's labour which bumps the cost up. My original statement was aimed at the "LY is expensive paint" brigade... no it's not, it's just paint, like normal regular paint.
But unlike most normal colours, it requires more skills and time to apply, which is what i was getting at.

Evo 6, E92 320d
The LY still holds its value, if you can get proof of it selling for £6.5k+ then it should be repairable, my crash was minor damage but needed 2.5k putting into it. Maybe get a couple bits like the rad and lights second hand to bring down the repair cost.

Technically, LY is a more expensive paint, as the yellow colour and the pearl through it are 2 seperate paints and are applied seperately, whereas a normal metallic has both mixed together and applied in one go. More material = higher cost.

BMW M3
Sorry to hear bud.

Wrote mine off in May. Was a 54 plate with 65k. Got £5300 for it so well happy. Has worked out pretty well. Bought an in-between car, sold it for a profit and now have a V8 Beemer haha. Onwards and upwards...ish.

Chav Rocket
Dry your eyes chum, my comment stands.

+1 tbh you went into the back of someone im assuming stationary so you couldn't have been driving for the conditions - also to have caused that much damage you couldn't have been cautiously coming round the bend, which i would have thought would've been the sensible thing to do - tight bend - approach with caution.

lol at calling someone a keyboard warrior for that

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
+1 tbh you went into the back of someone im assuming stationary so you couldn't have been driving for the conditions - also to have caused that much damage you couldn't have been cautiously coming round the bend, which i would have thought would've been the sensible thing to do - tight bend - approach with caution.

lol at calling someone a keyboard warrior for that

No ones being called a keyboard warrior unless you cant read?

This lad has had an accident, i doubt highly he meant it. This prick comes away with a comment which helps nothing, why? Thats precisley whats wrong with this forum. People have nothing constructive to add so just say somthing completley sarcastic/retarded

If you dont like, fuck off

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
yours was pretty expensive , was supposed to be a two layer but lechler made a single layer match for it lucky enough

sorry to hear about the accident mate, it will depend on the insurance company whether its a write off, try and show motor engineer when its inspected how much they go for and if they are faced with a high total loss payment it may help getting it repaired.

even if it is written off i am sure you could find with help from on here and renaultsport another minter which you could take on.

Clio 182 cup'd
I think if I had caused that much damage, I would rather it was written off...there are plenty of other 182's out there in exactly the same condition.

Oh and btw, if you knew you wouldnt stop in time, you also knew you were going too fast.

Chav Rocket
Not being there, not knowing the situation, being a clever d!ck and coming up with silly comments , keyboard warrior! Go find another thread to spam!

you learn to read. why should i f**k off? if you dont like the fact that not everyone in the thread is being soft to the op take your own advice

no one knows the road, the situation the original poster found himself in, rear end shunts happen all day every day, the most common type of rta, he clearly didnt mean it and if people are going to post try and keep them to helping the poor guy out, just imagine how you would feel if you thought your car was totalled

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Feel gutted for you especially if you've had such a mint colour from new

also for the ones who are speculating the guy was going to fast then you should keep your comments to yourself unless you were there, saw the speed, condition, corner etc

The one thing that nerves me about the Clio is the abs, which probably didn't help your accident

Chav Rocket
fair enough - assumed from how he it was written it was on a road he knows.
in anycase all the best - as someone said do your research and have to hand similar spec cars that are for sale to show the insurance company as they will always try to screw you over at first. also if the front is that bent be prepared that it wont always come out looking 100% straight

M2 Competition
Feel gutted for you especially if you've had such a mint colour from new

also for the ones who are speculating the guy was going to fast thencyou should keep your comments to yourself unless you were there, saw the speed, condition, corner etc

The one thing that nerves me about the Clio is the abs, which probably didn't help your accident

He went into the back of someone, he didnt see that they had stopped when he was coming around a corner.

Too fast, end of. Will pass my comments where i like, but thanks for the advice Chris ;)

Lol at ABS!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

What do you mean by that?

Since getting my 182 i have noticed the abs is quite reluctant to kick in, and will let you do a little skid before cutting in. Unlike my old c2/1.2 clio/306 where abs kicked in too early if anything.

I think this is a good thing as its less intrusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.