ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

another one of these dephaser pully threads

Clio 172
another one of those dephaser pully threads

Hi,
my engine had a cam & aux. belt change last week, new hydro lifters and cams were also fitted.
Now the engine makes scarry noises when i rev it up...
made a video of the sound, think its the dephaser pully but it doesn´t sound like in the other videos i watched.
Hope somebody can help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf2bLsSb5NQ

Last edited:
  Titanium 182 & 306 Diesel
My De phaser pully was f**ked when I took it into NW Performance they advised me and I had it changed, while having cambelt and aux belt done, didn't sound anything like your's is though, yours sounds f**ked if you ask me but i'm no mechanic

Last edited:
  Clio 172
i didn´t change them by my self, car was at the workshop. don´t know how they change the springs without taken the head off, but they say they did.

M

mini-valver

I very much doubt it!

EDIT- Maybe they did and the noise is bent valves.

Lionel Richie
they didn't remove the head but say they changed the valve springs?

do they even have the renault cam and crank locking tools???

M

mini-valver

PUshed down on the valve with some moleys, one bent valve and new valve spring ;)

Clio 172
do they even have the renault cam and crank locking tools???

no, but they did the first cambelt change 5 years ago on my car and all was fine. they´ve repaired enough engines over the years, so i thought they could also replace the springs and cams.

Lionel Richie
well i seriously doubt they even took your rocker cover off in that case, if they did i will bet you €500 your cam timing is way out

i would like to see how they changed the valve springs without removing the head! ask them for an explanation, i'd love to know!

Clio 172
you don´t think its the pulley?? i know they jused a tool to lock the cams after changing them but no renault tool, additional i must say the cams are no OEM parts, performance cams from engine dynamics..

Lionel Richie
find a new garage that know what they are doing! YOU CANNOT CHANGE THE CAMS ON AN F4R WITHOUT THE RENAULT TOOLS - END OF STORY

Lionel Richie
well to get the facts right

1 - to remove the rocker cover you HAVE to remove the cam pullies - not impossible to do without the cam pulley locking tool, but i would strongly advise against it

2 - they apparently changed the valve springs without removing the head - i'd love to know how!

3 - they've fitted cams without using the renault tools, the cam timing WILL be out

4 - how did they tighten up the pullies onto the cams without the renault tools?

correct so far?

Clio 172
i´m no mechanic
but i know they removed the rocker cover because i´ve taken it to a friend of mine who powdercoated the cover.
how they changed the springs i don´t know..
i also know that they used a tool to lock the cams, looks like a bridge and was pluged into both cams.
don´t know how they tighten up the pullies..

ITB'd MK1
I've seen springs changed on engines without removing the head ;) not on a F4R, but not an immposibilty at all, there's a few different tools to do it. I wouldn't personally, screw risking dropping a collet down an oilway

Clio 172
the garage changed the springs as shown in the link..with air-pressure..
ordered a new dephaser pulley during the week, today the garage changed it.
the noise is still there when we rev the engine up.. but when i unplug the vvt solenoid, start the engine and rev it up, there is no noise.
without the sonenoid the engine sounds normal.
so we think its the solenoid which is faulty or works not correct because when i test it over the rstunersoftware i can hear it work.

ITB'd MK1
I've seen that once before. The engine had been rebuilt under warranty by a renault dealer and the pistons fitted the wrong way round. When aftermarket cams were fitted it became an issue and the valves clipped the pistons lightly and made a horrible noise. Unplugging the VVT solenoid stopped the noise. That took some tracking down.

Clio 172
Finaly it was a timing problem..
Engine runs now without making noises when rev up...
Now it´s time to fit the other parts and map the ecu..

Thanks all for your help...

cheers...

ibiza cupra
well to get the facts right

1 - to remove the rocker cover you HAVE to remove the cam pullies - not impossible to do without the cam pulley locking tool, but i would strongly advise against it

2 - they apparently changed the valve springs without removing the head - i'd love to know how!

3 - they've fitted cams without using the renault tools, the cam timing WILL be out
4 - how did they tighten up the pullies onto the cams without the renault tools?

correct so far?
you were right then fred

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Out of interest Fred how much is new dephaser if fitted at same time as new cam and aux belt?