ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

(Another) Steering wheel question.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I'd like to change my ph2 172 steering wheel for something a bit smaller and nicer, but retain the airbag if possible.
I found this old but useful thread.

Where the OP looked into wheels from twingo RS, Mk2 laguna, RS megane.
So has anyone here successfully swapped one out? How hard was it? Did you have to do anything to get rid of the airbag light or modify the steering column.
Or should i just bite the bullet and get a good momo wheel?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Merci merci! Use a 5mm thick washer as the original 2mm I had started to buckle under the torque of the steering wheel bolt. no issues with a thicker washer.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Merci merci! Use a 5mm thick washer as the original 2mm I had started to buckle under the torque of the steering wheel bolt. no issues with a thicker washer.

Really good work. And as my 172 hasn't got cruise control I should have to do too much messing about with wires!
Now I just need to find a good wheel!
Thanks again.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Well I've just received a 197 wheel through the post and it's almost exactly the same diameter as my 172 wheel. It's got some nice bumpy bits on the back, and the leather is in better condition, but i was expecting something a bit smaller?
20200425_142552.jpg

Have i bought the right wheel?

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Done. Good to see that Renault put a key into the splines so you can't put it on the wrong way up, even if you try.

20200502_134403.jpg