ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Another which tyre thread!

Westfield, 182, 200
As ive read somewhere on here, the tyre poll is out of date and there are a lot of threads about tyres on here!

I've bought a 172 to play with and it needs 2 tyres at least, but as I'm going to get the wheels powder coated, I've decided to buy a complete set.

Anyway, my old 182 had P zero's which I wasn't keen on, the wife's 197 has conti 5's on it which I like!

So, which tyre???? The consensus seems to be Michelin pilot sports at the moment, any sensible comments?
The car is mainly used for commuting and may go on the odd track day.

Thanks, Ian.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I've get a mid-range like Hankook Evo's or whatever, if it's a commuter most of the time.

I run Pzero's, I like them, but then again I have little to compare them to.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Anything in this list - Pzero Nero, Pilot sport 3 in XL, Bridgestone RE05A.

Pzero would be my go to road tyre. Were epic on my 182 and it got driven very hard.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I dont really see what difference it makes when commuting TBH, these cars have so much natural grip that they dont need an awesome tyre to have plenty of grip for normal driving.

So I would just go for something good value that lasts well and is predictable in all conditions like a Yoko S-drive, and then have a seperate set of wheels for when you do the odd trackday, with RSR on them.

Fitted 4 yoko s-drives yesterday, not scrubbed in yet but the feel in damp conditions this morning was great in comparison to them s**t hankook v12s that was on.

Very scary tyre no damp/wet grip whatsoever.

Look forward to seeing how the yokos perform. Tyres and choices are a mine field:(

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Tyres and choices are a mine field:(

Are they really though? The way some people on here make out tyres to be night and day, you'd think one pair is made of ice and the other glue, granted there will be a slight difference, but really so much you'd be able to notice it on the road? Who's pushing on in the rain on public roads?

I honestly don't think I'd notice much of a difference no matter what tyre I was on, but I don't go on track.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are they really though? The way some people on here make out tyres to be night and day, you'd think one pair is made of ice and the other glue, granted there will be a slight difference, but really so much you'd be able to notice it on the road? Who's pushing on in the rain on public roads?

I honestly don't think I'd notice much of a difference no matter what tyre I was on, but I don't go on track.

Hold the front page!

Intelligent life has been found on CS!

No i'm not pushing on in the rain on public roads (forgot about how law abiding cs members are lol)

Have you tried V12 evo's?

Yes it is a mine field choosing the right tyres so many different options so many different reviews. What one person finds good another doesn't, its down to driving styles too. Yes it is night and day and you do notice a large difference in grip levels between brands.

All imo of course;)

Last edited:

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I can't comment on V12's personally, but some people on here absolutely swear by them, claim they're better than more expensive options, and it would appear some people think they're absolutely s**te, I just don't get it.

I know opinions can differ, but that wide?

When I got my 182, it had a mish-mash of tyres on it, the first thing I did was fit 4 brand new Pzero's, I paid about £400, I thought it would make a huge difference, and ended up really disappointed when actually I noticed very little difference at all.

Maybe Pzero's aren't that good, but the majority claim they're the best, who knows...

Westfield, 182, 200
Mine field;);)

Lol! Too true!!

It has half worn kumho ecstas on the front that aren't very evenly worn and to be honest, they grip really well, as good as I remember the zeros did!
I put Falken ZE914's on the front of my zed as the wet weather rating was an A even though everyone was saying fit Michelin moss tyres, they seem OK.

I start work at 6am and hold a constant 40 mph even around all the roundabouts in the wet on the way to work (naff all traffic) so want something half decent!

Ph2 Clio 172
Man up. I commuted 10k on a set of Federal RS-Rs :D

Standing water on the motorway was... er, interesting :p

2002 clio 172
I'm using the brand new bridgestone re002 adrenalines and i recently went through the same painful decision as you.

i have to say i cannot rate these tyres highly enough.

they stick amazingly in wet or dry and as per usual bridegstones, they have just enough liquorice squishiness to be silly on but they don't lose grip.

they're fantastic and for the price they are really worth looking at.

people rate the hankook v12 eve and also the michelin pilot sport 3 but honestly when i looked at them all i thought id give the bridgestones a go. i always liked them in the past and i still do now. the michelins are probably "better" sure but I've never got to the limit of these tyres yet and I've pushed them pretty hard, so i don't know how much better michelins could actually be. the 002 is so new that i couldn't find as many reviews as i would have liked, but hey, I'm really happy with them

cheers

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Michelin ps3 - brilliant tyre, I have 2 on the front and will be getting some for the rear very soon. Will be nice to lose the parada spec 2 on the rear, properly caught me out in the wet the other day and completely spun the car, ooopsie haha.

Westfield, 182, 200
Arghhhh! Too many choices and different opinions!

i think it's a case of 'one man's meat is another man's poison!'.

I'm tempted by contis now! As I like them on the wife's car, but there're 2's,3'a and 5's same issues with p zeros, there're several different versions-what's the differences?

5's you can only get in 17 and above

3's have replaced 2's but I can't seem to find 205/45R16 in the 3

Not a lot of stock left in 2's either (struggling to get 4 for mine at the moment)

PH2 172
Only an idiot would be dissapointed with ps3`s.How much money are you going to waste trying to find cheaper alternative`s?Having said that,has anyone tried NOKIAN WR A3`s,available in 195/45R16?Technically a winter tyre.Obviously not a hot track day tyre,but possibly better than PS3`s for most the year on the road,or on a cold wet track day in March.
If anyone has used these,please let us know your experiences/opinions.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
PS3's are brilliant. Fantastic all rounder on the road and I think they are reasonably good value and appear to have good life. They are fantastic in the wet as well, which in the UK is important.

Ran Bridgestone potenzas, they were good in the dry but had slightly sharper break away on the limit and were nervous in the wet.

uniroyal rainsports are a bit soft and aren't good enough in the rain to warrent their dry performance. They don't lack grip, but they are just too soft and ruin steering feel too much for me.

Ran some budgets for a month or some while sorting some wheels. I was horrified that they could be legal sold. I can outbreak them with the PS3's in the rain compared to them in the dry. I must remember you get what u pay for!!!

ultimatly any premium tyre will perform really well, but for me I will be buying PS3's from now on.

Listerine & Poledo
For what it's worth, I'm finding the Yokohama Advans really good (but that's on an MX5).
A bit strong on road noise but when they're warm (as in, they're not great for the winter) they're pretty good, needing a proper dose of hooligan to make the back do anything but stick to the line.