ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ANTI-LAG!....Help me win an argument. I hope. lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Having a pub discussion about WRC cars the other night...Am i right in thinking an anti-lag system is a feature of the ECU?

As far as i know it deliberately creates a misfire when the throttle is closed...hence the 'bang, bang, bang' you hear in WRC.

Any truth in this or am i talking rubbish?... and owe my uncle a pint. lol

Anyone shed any light?

Cheers

Chris

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
doesnt it keep the turbo spun up so no lag when they drop the clutch off the line?

Clio 172 mk2
I believe anti lag features are available on standalone ecus like the Motec and Gems systems.

RenaultSport clio 172 Cup
Danlp6 is right.

Not related to ECU at all. Needs to have petrol injected into the exhaust manifold to keep the turbo spinning when the revs are low.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I am currntly an Evo owner wanting to move to a clio :). The anti lag does create a deliberate misfire still injecting fuel into the cylinder but not creating a spark. The unburnt fuel then ignites in the manifold causing the turbo to constantly spin. Keep the revs up with the anti-lag turned on and the turbo will spin away all day well until your manifold gives up and falls apart lol. Just the thing for launching and gearchanges etc. It's generally done on the Ecu's i.e Autronics, Gems, Apexi Power FC etc as previously said by someone else. The Ecu obviously dumps in the fuel but changes the timing so that the spark is not created when the fuel is dumped into the cylinder via the injector. I guess the system could be performed using direct manifold injection but everyone I know and myself just has the ECU creating the misfire.

Thanks

Sam

Clio 172 mk2
calsonic said:
I am currntly an Evo owner wanting to move to a clio :). The anti lag does create a deliberate misfire still injecting fuel into the cylinder but not creating a spark. The unburnt fuel then ignites in the manifold causing the turbo to constantly spin. Keep the revs up with the anti-lag turned on and the turbo will spin away all day well until your manifold gives up and falls apart lol. Just the thing for launching and gearchanges etc. It's generally done on the Ecu's i.e Autronics, Gems, Apexi Power FC etc as previously said by someone else. The Ecu obviously dumps in the fuel but changes the timing so that the spark is not created when the fuel is dumped into the cylinder via the injector. I guess the system could be performed using direct manifold injection but everyone I know and myself just has the ECU creating the misfire.

Thanks

Sam

Spot on Sam....these high end ecus can also do data logging and control water injection units.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Yup they can indeed do the water injection and data logging. My Apexi is fully mappable via the hand controller and has a whole host of data logging options especially when hooked up to the laptop. I'm currently running circa 400bhp on mine but its gotta go due to me wanting a newer one as mine is a 6 plus getting a clio sport as a run around. Not driven one yet but they sound fun. I wanna buy one this weekend if pos.

Clio 172 mk2
calsonic said:
Yup they can indeed do the water injection and data logging. My Apexi is fully mappable via the hand controller and has a whole host of data logging options especially when hooked up to the laptop. I'm currently running circa 400bhp on mine but its gotta go due to me wanting a newer one as mine is a 6 plus getting a clio sport as a run around. Not driven one yet but they sound fun. I wanna buy one this weekend if pos.

I take it when you say a 6 your running a Lancer? A lot of people seem to be running Autronic ecu boards on the newer ones these days.

I think you should enjoy a Clio Sport....not as quick as the 6 but a lot of fun:D