ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any 172 rust issues? + few ph1 questions

Laguna 2, Westfield
After selling my 182 to fund my Westfield build, i'm on the lookout for a ph1 172 with low miles so i can still have some fun everyday...
My question is how do they fair for rust now they are 10 years old? Do they have rolled back arches like the 182s?

I've seen quite a few standard ph1 clios with huge rusty lumps on the back arches and wondered if 172s were the same? Do they rust under the sideskirts? - Or anywhere else to check?

I understand its only the early cars that came with the ally bonnet?

Were there different colours of interior? as i've seen some cars with blue leather(looks abit odd) and some with what looks like the normal grey(might just be the pictures?)

Thanks

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Hey mate, my ph1 hasn't really suffered from rust at all, there's certainly none on the rear arches and as far as I know, none under the skirts.

I'm pretty sure the shell is exactly the same as the ph2, just with a different front end.

With regards to the interior, they come as standard with a blue leather, which the camera flash often accentuates, it's no where as bright as it looks in pictures. I have a ph2 leather interior fitted in mine because it meant better condition etc, and this is VERY easily do-able for around 200£ all in if you wanted to do it.

With regards to the shift light/ally bonnet, they were pretty much put on at random, lol.

Westy. MX5
Really, they should not rust if they have been washed regularly and the wheelarch lips cleaned out.

172 ph1
ive noticed a tiny little bit of rust starting under the drivers side skirt mate apart from that theres nothing...most of the cars plastic to be honest lol thats on y reg ph1