ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any 18yr old 16v owners

Lupo Gti

just wondering if there were any, as for my 18th i was gunna upgrade the RT to a VTR, but looking at the thread, it aint that much quicker, so thiknin maybe clio 16v, love the looks, just wondering how much you are paying for insurance , and how ur doing it in terms of insurance, eg, on ur parents name or nething.....!

Cheers

LMS

my ex-girlfriends new chapss got a modded clio 16valve . he had it when he was 17 and was paying about 3000grand to insure it! not sure who with tho.

I work in Insurance and i am aware from having seen it done in the last few weeks that say someone of 18 bought a 172 cup etc and got it insured in their dads or mums name, say they have a crash when we send out one of our investigators to take a statement from the 18 year old and see that the mum dad have say 2 cars of their own or the dad is say 65 years of age and alleges to be an owner of a jazzed up hot hatch, the line has been taken that we will pay as required by law for third party damage but will not pay for the damage to the 18 year olds car as the wrong premium has been charged for the car which leaves the 18 year old perhaps with a repair bill or even a total loss.

Due to the losses Insurers are suffering due to the costs of claims much more harder lines are being taken.

We for example emply several ex cid to investigate such type incidents as it is actually fraud.

I just bought my first car and was tempted as was getting quoted £1k for a 1.4 16v at 26! but through arnold clark got it for £425 with 5 years no claims bonus as i had been driving my dads car since i had passed my test.

Lupo Gti

Alymac, id insure it 3rd party anyway, when u say harder lines are being taken what exactly do u mean......

Also what would i be looking to pay if it was insured on me moms name.....?

cheers

Lms

Mate, the miminum cover allowed by law for you to be allowed on the road is third party, what i mean by harder lines is basically what i said in my message, if it was found that a car had been insured in say your mums name and you as a named driver and say after an accident it was found that rather than having been the named driver you were using the car all the time then the wrong premium will have been charged for the car, ie say your mum got insured for £250 as she was a good driver with no accidents, you being added as a named driver might be say £75 however if it was you that had went to get the car in your name then you might have been £1,000 ie the Insurer has been getting the wrong premium for the risk.

What has been happening in such cases is the Insurer by law will deal with the third party claim (ie the person say you crashed into) for their damage and also any injury, you on the other hand if you were say full comp would be refused cover for the repairs to your car and like i said you could face say having spent £9k on a new motor and have it written off.

To be honest the chances of you facing what i have said above would be minimal but thought i best let folks know what can happen......

I reckon the premium for you being added to your mum would be basically close to feck all....i mean at 20 i was £125 to get added to my dads 2.0litre Audi A4.

Laguna 2, Westfield

Depends on insurance group of the car, if the car is above about group 12 (16v clio is 12) then to be added to your parents policy is hundreds, maybe thousands, as they are not stupid as to what people try to do.

For an example i needed a run about car over winter and to be added to my mums clio 1.4 16v alize (group 5ish) it was £100 extra, but to be added to my dads group 14 car, it was £2000 + extra lol.

Im 20 with 2yrs ncb on my car(insured in my own name)

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

My first car was a 1.2 clio. and i paid £712 (with tescos) on my own insurance, i then did my pass + and got it down to around £500ish, and then i upgraded to a 1.4, and it was only £60 more. so im paying around £600. Being female rocks ;)

I have always found that going direct to an insurers is more expensive, ie the firm i work for wanted £1k when i called their direct number from yellow pages, and that was with a discount! go through a broker and you should get a good deal

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Joe baxed my Mums no claims and used her name on TPFT! He he, only £1100 with the wonderfull Tesco.

To think i only got the quote for a laugh while i was driving a pathetically slow 1.4 Golf.

so whats the point in you being insured under your mum and dads name if your not allowed to drive the bloody thing, how can they proove your driving it all the time surely that is what u pay the insurance for u to drive the car and in the event of a accident you are covered,

im 19 have a cup, and insured as the MAIN driver under my mums policy is £1800 fully comp,

so if i crash touch wood not at all, then am i insured or are they going to b**ch about me being the "named" main driver?

Tom

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

What r u on about?

Most young people only have insurance to be legally allowed to drive not for cashing in when you crash as your premimum will sky rocket for the next several years!

Being insured on a perticular car means ur legally allowed to drive that perticual car you know!

The point is it costs me £1100 as opposed to £4000!

HOW CAN YOU BE MAIN DRIVER ON YOUR MUMS POLICY? :confused:

Revels Mum & Sister

Yeah have to me a NAMED driver. She is the main driver. You are a NAMED driver even though you are the other MAIN driver next to your mum.

19 with a CUP fair play mate. Just dont crash else you wont get anything ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Bubbles on 20 March 2003

My first car was a 1.2 clio. and i paid £712 (with tescos) on my own insurance, i then did my pass + and got it down to around £500ish, and then i upgraded to a 1.4, and it was only £60 more. so im paying around £600. Being female rocks ;)

You lucky...

Quote: Originally posted by Bubbles on 20 March 2003

I have been told that after a year pass+ doesnt make a difference anymore. And if it does its not really fare. I have been driving (ie passed) since 1999 and my insurance is still at 1k. Its been there since 2000. I had 1 claim, and they said that didnt count, it just lost me my no claims. (it was an animal strike)

I have now 1 years ncb and on my way to my second. First year was £1.05k, second year, £1k, third year (now) £1.1k. Go figure.

And thats on a 1.4 8v RT.

Paul

I have a Clio Dynamique, 1.2 16v. Ive been driving for 1 year. I have 1 years ncb and my Fully comp premium is £375!!

I dont understand why its so cheap?

Oh and im a guy, and im 21.

Im 19 and on my 16v i pay £1200 TPFT, thats with 2 years no claims.

I had to stay with the company i was with cos i changed from my Nova 1.4SR which was £800 TPFT the valvers well worth £400 thou.

Quote: Originally posted by phunkey_monkeh on 22 March 2003

I have a Clio Dynamique, 1.2 16v. Ive been driving for 1 year. I have 1 years ncb and my Fully comp premium is £375!!

I dont understand why its so cheap?

Oh and im a guy, and im 21.
I thought dynamiques come with free insurance? or is it a second hand one?