ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any cyclists here? Bike carrying question

Mazda Mx5 Mk1
Any cliosport owners occasionally carry bikes around on them? I'm hoping to get myself a 172/182 in the next couple of months and Im big into mountain biking so wondered what racks people use on these?

Not adverse to chucking bikes in the boot with seats down but curious to see what other options I will have!

Clio 182
we generally just stick ours in the back, but we're looking at a euro-tour for summer next year so a decent rack would be good...which one do you use Dave? I thought Thule just did roof bars?

Roof mounted is the best way to carry bikes on a Clio. Never had any problems in the couple of years that I used mine to travel to Wales and Scotland.

I used all Thule bars and cycle carriers with locks.

You can easily get 2 in the back with the front wheel off and seats down.

clio 182 black /gold
I have a 182 and i go upwards.
100_0629.jpg

100_0632.jpg

we generally just stick ours in the back, but we're looking at a euro-tour for summer next year so a decent rack would be good...which one do you use Dave? I thought Thule just did roof bars?

They do the bars but also bike racks that fit on the bars. Not sure what brand mine is, bought it from someone at work. Rarely use it as it's easier to put the bike in the boot.

Mazda Mx5 Mk1
Ah OK, I'm a bit nervous about roof bars on clios after I had an issue on my old clio 1.2 with a set flying off on a roundabout with some little kayaks on! They were renaults own ones though which were shite.

172 Ph2
Just be aware that bikes on the roof can slaughter your MPG.

I did a 560 mile round trip the other day with 4 mountain bikes loaded on Thule 591 racks on top of my C5 Tourer and the MPG averaged 35 as opposed to the usual 50.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Thule. Pair of bars, pair of 591 bike holders.

Tested to ahundredandthirtysomething jellybabies on the .. er .. autobahn .. in my old scoob. No issues.

Mazda Mx5 Mk1
cheers guys, Thule aerobars and bike mounts it is! My mother has one bike mount I can use so pretty sorted! Now to find the car!