ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any one interested in old bikes? - Norton content

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
Well.. ive been meaning to post on here for a while but ive not found the right time.. but anyways, here goes.

On the 3rd of april 2016, my dad lost his battle with cancer and passed away at the (way way) to early age of 58, at home, surrounded by the people who love him the most.

The last year or so has easily been the worst of my entire life so far, from seeing my aunts health deteriorate, and watch her pass away, thinking as a family we would have a little time to grieve for her and relax before carrying on as "normal" until dad being diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus in October, starting chemo in late December, radiotherapy in early feb and being told the end of march theres nothing else they can do for him.. seeing his energy slowly waste away to nothing, and finally losing him 5 days before my birthday.. it all seems like it happened so quickly and I'm still struggling to figure out what the actual fuff has happened.. Ups and downs like normal but over all I think we are doing okay :|

So why am I posting this here.. Well.. along with leaving me with a few boxes of tools and books.. he left me his most prized possession (which I haven't actually seen since I was about 6 years old as its been stored in my aunts garage under boxes of my aunts belongings.. until today)

A 1967 Norton 850 Commando.. the first thing my dad ever saved up to buy him self when he turned 17

Clocks.jpg
commando850.jpg
engine.jpg
frontleft.jpg
fullrightside.jpg
lights.jpg
petroltank.jpg
rearleft.jpg
rearright.jpg

Now of course, its going to need some TLC but over all its not actually bad, some components will need replacing such as the exhaust and tyres, but most of the rust is only surface and all bar a front indicator lense, its all there

Unfortunately, the seat is not original as my dad had it replaced with a "king and queen" seat for taking my mum on holidays across the country in their late teens, and its not original paint from when he had the bike collected in a van from his family home, to my aunts garage a fair few miles away, and it was dropped in the back of the van which dented the petrol tank, and my dad had it repaired and painted a colour he liked (glittery red.. think its a 70s thing..)

I had spoken to my dad about the bike about 4-5 weeks ago, and he said what ever I choose to do with it, is fine by him, but he'd rather it went to a museum for free, than sold on to a bike dealer who will only want it for profit, having said that, I know he had the bike valued a couple of years ago, between £6.8 and £7.2k

My mum was all for selling it when we discussed it last week, but today, as we saved it from the depths of the garage, her mood about the bike changed completely, she seemed upset with the thought of letting it go after all this time, so we may keep and restore it yet!..

Hope some of you find it interesting and I will be sure to keep an update if any thing does change with it!

Thanks for reading
(Sorry about the crappy phone pictures)

-Dano.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Well.. ive been meaning to post on here for a while but ive not found the right time.. but anyways, here goes.

On the 3rd of april 2016, my dad lost his battle with cancer and passed away at the (way way) to early age of 58, at home, surrounded by the people who love him the most.

The last year or so has easily been the worst of my entire life so far, from seeing my aunts health deteriorate, and watch her pass away, thinking as a family we would have a little time to grieve for her and relax before carrying on as "normal" until dad being diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus in October, starting chemo in late December, radiotherapy in early feb and being told the end of march theres nothing else they can do for him.. seeing his energy slowly waste away to nothing, and finally losing him 5 days before my birthday.. it all seems like it happened so quickly and I'm still struggling to figure out what the actual fuff has happened.. Ups and downs like normal but over all I think we are doing okay :|

So why am I posting this here.. Well.. along with leaving me with a few boxes of tools and books.. he left me his most prized possession (which I haven't actually seen since I was about 6 years old as its been stored in my aunts garage under boxes of my aunts belongings.. until today)

A 1967 Norton 850 Commando.. the first thing my dad ever saved up to buy him self when he turned 17

View attachment 154239 View attachment 154240 View attachment 154241 View attachment 154242 View attachment 154243 View attachment 154244 View attachment 154245 View attachment 154246 View attachment 154247

Now of course, its going to need some TLC but over all its not actually bad, some components will need replacing such as the exhaust and tyres, but most of the rust is only surface and all bar a front indicator lense, its all there

Unfortunately, the seat is not original as my dad had it replaced with a "king and queen" seat for taking my mum on holidays across the country in their late teens, and its not original paint from when he had the bike collected in a van from his family home, to my aunts garage a fair few miles away, and it was dropped in the back of the van which dented the petrol tank, and my dad had it repaired and painted a colour he liked (glittery red.. think its a 70s thing..)

I had spoken to my dad about the bike about 4-5 weeks ago, and he said what ever I choose to do with it, is fine by him, but he'd rather it went to a museum for free, than sold on to a bike dealer who will only want it for profit, having said that, I know he had the bike valued a couple of years ago, between £6.8 and £7.2k

My mum was all for selling it when we discussed it last week, but today, as we saved it from the depths of the garage, her mood about the bike changed completely, she seemed upset with the thought of letting it go after all this time, so we may keep and restore it yet!..

Hope some of you find it interesting and I will be sure to keep an update if any thing does change with it!

Thanks for reading
(Sorry about the crappy phone pictures)

-Dano.

Heart broken for you buddy

Sorry for your losses !!

I have an 850 commando also, if you need any advice at any point let me know. Also if you do decide to sell let me know..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 56

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear about your dad 😧
Lovely bike and definitely worth restoring and keeping, or displaying somewhere. Something nice to remember him by

I agree with this entirely !

It does look like it needs some work though! But it'd be worth it because in its current condition it won't be worth a huge amount.

Old British bikes are gaining in value a lot.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
So sorry to hear about your Aunt and your Dad, mines a pain in the arse but It would ruin me losing him. I look forward to seeing the bike restored, I love old bikes. Wouldn't mind owning a Royal Enfield Conti GT.

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
Cheers guys, means a lot!

The hardest emotion I've dealt with so far is that 2 of his close friends who we haven't seen for quite a while, turned up at the service, we had no idea if they even knew he was gone, let alone the fact that they were actually coming..

it was a pleasure to see them, and talking to them, mid way through a conversation I stopped, said "Be right back, I've just got to run home and let Dad know you came".. its the most awkward and upsetting feeling I've had so far

As for the bike. it will be a long while before we decide what to actually do with it, but it will not be sold for the sake of the money that's for sure :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
What a lovely thing.

If you have the time and space I think you should restore it. It would be a nice process and finishing at the end will be a great feeling.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
From being there from the start bud it goes without saying really, that I'm ever so sorry for your losses.
Always here when you need a chat or a giggle, day or night.

I would not sell the bike, you know my thoughts on it.
Clean it up, restore it and keep it. Your old man would of thanked you for it I'm sure.

More than willing to help restore it to its former glory, as I'm sure many others on here would too if you decide to tackle it.
Which ever you decide, keep you chin up matey. :up:

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Sorry to hear about your loss.
What a lovely old bike. If that was done up it would look lovely.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Condolences Dano and sorry for your loss. I think it'd be a fitting memory to your dad to get the bike back to it's former glory and have a blast on it for your old man.

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
Cheers guys :) touching comments!

Next few weeks ill be looking for as much information I can to get the ball rolling on bringing her back to glory!

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
From being there from the start bud it goes without saying really, that I'm ever so sorry for your losses.
Always here when you need a chat or a giggle, day or night.

I would not sell the bike, you know my thoughts on it.
Clean it up, restore it and keep it. Your old man would of thanked you for it I'm sure.

More than willing to help restore it to its former glory, as I'm sure many others on here would too if you decide to tackle it.
Which ever you decide, keep you chin up matey. :up:

This guy right here^

cant thank you enough for the help and support from the start man.. Muchos appreciate!

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear about your family. I lost my aunt and my mum, it's tough.

I'd restore it, I love old British bikes and think they're cool as...

As has been said, they're only going up in value and in a few years it might be the difference between getting a dream house or something else and falling short.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Sorry for your loss.

My grandad died in Feb so dad has inherited his 750 Commando (Which my grandad was fairly adamant that he was still going to get out riding around until quite recently lol). We managed to arrange for it to be ridden in front of the hearse which was great.

Unfortunately my dad is partially sighted so wouldn't be able to ride it on the road. Like you we don't really know what's going to happen to it.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Sorry to hear of your bad year :(

That bike is lovely, it'll look amazing once restored, you should definitely do that!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
As others have said, so sorry for your loss mate.

I lost my mum almost 18 months ago now, I'm still very upset.

But if my mum had left me something so cool as that bike then there is no way on this earth I would ever sell it.

What a great thing to have, get it restored over time and I guarantee that you will be glad that you kept it.
(I'd be trying to get it running first)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
So sorry to hear of your loss. I recently lost my old man too, so I know the heartache you will be going through.

I would keep the bike and do a resto on it. It doesn't have to be nut n bolt, and they certainly aren't that hard to work on. I reckon your pops would be proud to know you had carried on the flame with the passion for it. Do you have a bike licence/would you ride it?

Monaco 172
Sorry for your loss mate, My dad passed when i was 13 and he had and old BSA Bantam that he'd had since he was a kid and by the time i was old enough to restore/ride it my grandfather had sold it to an enthusiast who was going to restore it. It bummed me out big time but understood why he parted with it. You should do something with it for sure mate.. it'd be so awesome!!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Not to hijack the thread chaps but I've done a fair amount of work on these old bikes and currently have a 67 bonny as well as the Commando and Panigale

If anyone needs any advice or help with these old bikes feel free to ask.

Happy to help where I can. @Pat 182 also plays with old British bikes..

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
Cheers for the replys guys, genuinely means a lot to hear the kind words!

Been doing some research (With the help of @Filters ) we have discovered that its a 1973 commando.. Dad being born in 1958 and him buying it at 17 would make sense it being a 73!

Currently trying to find all the paperwork my dad would have had with the bike, its either in his loft, my aunts house, or my house.. we aren't sure yet.. so much to go through :| Also we aren't entirely sure where the keys are but mum knows what they look like so shouldn't be too hard to spot them when we start digging

I don't have a bike licence.. but.. in 2014 I decided I would get my licence.. then my aunty got ill I put the idea on hold, after she passed away I decided that nothing would stop me!.. and then my dad got ill.. I was moritified and put the idea away completely... now hes left me a bike.. it seems fitting to actually go ahead and do it!

I doubt ill be in a position to get it back to concourse condition, but I can certainly make a start on clearing the dust and stripping the rust

Again thanks for the support guys, appreciate it :)

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Condolences Dano
Definitly keep it mate and if you need any advice or help with the rebuild dont hesitate to give me a shout,been a biker all my life served my apprentiship on british bikes many moons ago, have stripped and rebuilt a lot of other makes also and built a few from scratch,retired now but like to keep my hand in
In the latter stages of rebuilding a custom Harley at the moment,i am from Milford as i see you are in Pembs yourself
regards Chris

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Such a meaningful and open thread Dano - non-petrolheads simply don't understand the attachment to machinery.

So sorry to hear about the awful issues you've had to deal with recently. If that bike was my dad's and I was in the same situation - I'd aim to restore it and once done, book a few days off work. I'd look at a map and find out the roads and destinations that he liked to travel on - especially those from when he first got the bike, if possible. I'd also take a shot of my dad's favourite tipple and drink it at the end point - giving a toast to him and thanking him for allowing me to be there at that moment, with his prized possession.

And I would never sell it. Assuming I had the space to keep it.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cheers for the replys guys, genuinely means a lot to hear the kind words!

Been doing some research (With the help of @Filters ) we have discovered that its a 1973 commando.. Dad being born in 1958 and him buying it at 17 would make sense it being a 73!

I'm still 100% convinced it's a later model than a 73 buddy...they didn't come with a rear disk until 75...unless your dad had that added on at a later date.
The reg corresponds to 1976-7 which would make it a mk3 850, added with the fact it's got electronic ignition....it can only be a 75 (registered when bought in early 76) or an actual 76/7. But then......it's missing the "electronic ignition" emblem on the sides of the air box. :confused: confusing!

Your old man did like a good bit of mystery 😅
We best get Scooby do on the case! :up:

Focus st3 & t5.1 day
I'm still 100% convinced it's a later model than a 73 buddy...they didn't come with a rear disk until 75...unless your dad had that added on at a later date.
The reg corresponds to 1976-7 which would make it a mk3 850, added with the fact it's got electronic ignition....it can only be a 75 (registered when bought in early 76) or an actual 76/7. But then......it's missing the "electronic ignition" emblem on the sides of the air box. :confused: confusing!

Your old man did like a good bit of mystery 😅
We best get Scooby do on the case! :up:

I'm confused to f**k.. ill ask mum if shes seen the paper work for it in the morning lol

All I know is its a beaut and Id love to see it looking new again :)

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm confused to f**k.. ill ask mum if shes seen the paper work for it in the morning lol

All I know is its a beaut and Id love to see it looking new again :smile:

We had this whole chat on messenger 48+ hours ago buddy haha :tearsofjoy:born 58 - turned 17 in 75 R suffix on the plate, so registered in 76.
Mk1 had the rear drum brakes without electric ignitions. Mk3 had rear disk brake with electric ignitions.
I'm blaming that brain fart on all the steak you've been eating 😅

I'm certain @Advikaz can help confirm?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
We had this whole chat on messenger 48+ hours ago buddy haha :tearsofjoy:born 58 - turned 17 in 75 R suffix on the plate, so registered in 76.
Mk1 had the rear drum brakes without electric ignitions. Mk3 had rear disk brake with electric ignitions.
I'm blaming that brain fart on all the steak you've been eating 😅

I'm certain @Advikaz can help confirm?

76-77 for sure chaps and not the original paint I would suggest hence the missing ignition emblem.

Lovely old things with bags of character. Clutch that feels like you're compressing granite, brakes that are more for display purposes only and an electric start that to this day I have never actually seen work lol. Oh yeah and vibrations that could give a nun an orgasm!!

My advice would be to restore it, due to its emotional value, but I will not lie to you it's going to need some work! And it won't be cheap brother.

If you decide you wish to sell, let me know because I'll gladly take it on and restore it.

Last edited:

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Lovely bike, I would keep the 70s sparkly red colour be something for you and your mum to have a laugh about in the future.

You could also try asking a local farm if you can ride it round a field when it's dry if you don't have a lisence yet.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Lovely bike, I would keep the 70s sparkly red colour be something for you and your mum to have a laugh about in the future.

You could also try asking a local farm if you can ride it round a field when it's dry if you don't have a lisence yet.

If you can find any paperwork for it, try and keep the bike as original as possible

I imagine the original colour is the same as mine which is a sparkly red anyway.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Sorry to hear your losses mate.

Please restore it, I adore old bikes!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Not to hijack the thread chaps but I've done a fair amount of work on these old bikes and currently have a 67 bonny as well as the Commando and Panigale

If anyone needs any advice or help with these old bikes feel free to ask.

Happy to help where I can. @Pat 182 also plays with old British bikes..

Get a thread up on yours mate! I love old Bonnys, my Grandad had a few!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Sorry for your loss mate.

That bike is awesome, keep it and restore it to how it was imo. Do you have a license?