ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any point to the Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes me laugh... your exclusive because you drive around in a Clio! HAHAHA Renault pulled the wool over your eyes!

Same with a mate of mine, not even sure what so called limited edition Subaru he has but to me it just looked like another Subaru. :rolleyes:

Not really up on your cars then?

I'd laugh if he had a 22b. lol

I had my Trophy brand new, paid £12,400.

Nah it had 4 doors!

A 55 plate trophy holds it's value much beter than an 55 plate 182.

Not seen any Trophies for sale for under 10.5k...

Unlike cup/un cup 182.

A4 Avant
The Trophy is the only car I've regretted selling! If you don't see the point try and get a test drive in one! Maybe then you'll understand! My brothers a ford nut but was that impressed with mine he went and bought a 172FF for his girlfriend!

I paid 12,200 brand new for mine. 55 plate. It was pre registered though! I sold it 8 months later and only lost £500 on it!!

I'd sooner drive a clio than an Italian heap of sh1te!!

They are known to break a lot, they are also getting on a bit now too...

Its a Fiat to start with, then you put a turbo on there, lets not be silly now..

Stop diggin Clios...this is ClioSport...not 'come on and slate Clios because i'm down grading to a Italian heap and i feel bitter about.net'

Im not digging at Clios I've asked a few questions, had a duscussion and found out that Trophies arent as expensive as I thought they where hence theyre is a point to them... I have had a Clio Sport for years now and still own 1! Build quality on the Clio is questionable... Im sure most members will agree!

Clio Sport 182 Trophy
Any point to the trophy? Is it just me or are people who keep slating the Trophy, people who aint got one?

Lets face facts you can say what you like about fitting Recaro's n Sachs to your 182 at the end of the day you still wont have one of the 500 Trophy's made.

Just accept they are exclusive lil motors that are beautiful to drive and a Renault have put together a little gem for a reasonable price!

DB

Mondeo STTDCI
I dont see the point in the post TBH.

The Trophy version of the 182 was the final, definitive version off the production line. When a product reaches a certain point in its life cycle it is not unusual for manufacturers to revamp it.

The Trophy is the best production 182 - Fact. Sure, you can point coilovers and buckets and some Turinis on ANY 182 and it will probably be "better".

But as a production car the 182 Trophy is the definitive version.

Much like the 172 Cup - But we really dont want to go there do we?

The Trophy version of the 182 was the final, definitive version off the production line. When a product reaches a certain point in its life cycle it is not unusual for manufacturers to revamp it.

The Trophy is the best production 182 - Fact. Sure, you can point coilovers and buckets and some Turinis on ANY 182 and it will probably be "better".

Good points...

So basically if I was in the market for a Clio Sport 05 model a Trophy would be considered as long as it didnt have a large premium over a cupped pack 182

Point to the thread!?!?
Could be lots of reasons...

maybe im sat at work with nothing to do
maybe I wanted to know if any body else thought the Clio Trophy was nothing more than a Clio Sport "with add ons" which it is!

If it is pointless, then why comment on the very thread your saying is pointless and then add to it!? :rolleyes:

Lee

BMW M2C

Good points...

So basically if I was in the market for a Clio Sport 05 model a Trophy would be considered as long as it didnt have a large premium over a cupped pack 182

Point to the thread!?!?

maybe I wanted to know if any body else thought the Clio Trophy was nothing more than a Clio Sport "with add ons" which it is!

If it is pointless, then why comment on the very thread your saying is pointless and then add to it!? :rolleyes:

That's the bit that makes no sense to me? So what you are saying is that it doesn't matter that the improvements have earned the Trophy such praise from owners and the press, making it one of the best hot hatches of all time, because they are just addons?

What should Renault have done instead? Maybe they should have given it chrome spinners instead of wasting money on the chassis?

This reminds me of when the 172 Cup came out and lots of 172 owners (I had a 172 at the time) became very bitter. lol

Good points...

Point to the thread!?!?

That's the bit that makes no sense to me? So what you are saying is that it doesn't matter that the improvements have earned the Trophy such praise from owners and the press, making it one of the best hot hatches of all time, because they are just addons?

What should Renault have done instead? Maybe they should have given it chrome spinners instead of wasting money on the chassis?

This reminds me of when the 172 Cup came out and lots of 172 owners (I had a 172 at the time) became very bitter. lol

The “add on” could be had by going out and adding equivalent “add ons” for a cheaper price... hence the comment about "large premium".

Mondeo STTDCI
And what is the point in the 172 cup Dave? ;)

I could see this getting quite philosophical....

Point in the 172 Cup?

Product reaching end of life cycle - revamped model to rekindle interest, sell remaining body shells, increased kudos and reputation etc for improving an already well recieved vehicle. Oh and profit.

I also think its so they could sit back and watch the endless 172 Vs Cup threads on forums across the internet and laugh manically.

Mondeo STTDCI

The “add on” could be had by going out and adding equivalent “add ons” for a cheaper price... hence the comment about "large premium".

This is probably the reason that your profession is not in designing vehicles, and not in marketing.

And what is the point in the 172 cup Dave? ;)

I could see this getting quite philosophical....

Point in the 172 Cup?

Product reaching end of life cycle - revamped model to rekindle interest, sell remaining body shells, increased kudos and reputation etc for improving an already well recieved vehicle. Oh and profit.

I also think its so they could sit back and watch the endless 172 Vs Cup threads on forums across the internet and laugh manically.

Mwahhhahhaahhahhahahahah!!!!

i cant see your problem...the trophy is the final evo of that shape clio sports.
It is the pinacle of the 2L clios.
Wots the point of Fiat Coupe20vt?

Its one of the fastest front wheel drive car's (in a straight line)
The engine sounds amazing
Very rare Car
Very tunable
Unique Styling

:boring:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The Trophy is pointless, if you don't have one and convince yourself it's pointless because secretly you want one but can't justify the expense of upgrading.

So pointless in one sense, but far from pointless if you're in the market for a Renaultsport Clio. Everyone on this forum would swap to a Trophy given the chance free of charge.

Hell... Even I'd have one !!

(So I could sell it to pay for 330d insurance ;))

133/225/CLS AMG
I think I'll keep my Megane 225 over a Trophy, as much as I like em!! lol

It does seem that apart from the suspension its pretty much just another Clio 182, not that thats a bad thing. The Recaros are an option in the RS Meganes as well so not exclusive to Clios. The colour is just the same as the Megane 225 Cup and the wheels are just powder coated 172 Cup rims.

Its a lovely car but not really that original, is more my thoughts on it!! :D :D

Lee

BMW M2C
What do people think needed to have been done to the car to stop it being "just another 182"?

The seats were exclusive to the car at the time, the Megane didn't get them until later.

It's no different for the Megane, I've really enjoyed driving the Megane Trophy and F1 in the past, and I'd expect the new F1 R26 to be even better, but surely you could just say that's just another Megane with bits (which will be available on all at some point) and a colour which was on a Clio so that's not unique?

I don't understand just what people expect a manufacturer to change on a car before they accept it's different enough from the rest of the range?

megan R26.R number 006
never been in one, but surely a 182 with the sachs (trophy) set up would handle the same, get a set of recaro's too - & bobs your uncle.;)
it would do but you would not like the price of the Sachs dampers if they are new as i have heard that they cost quite a bit i have heard the figure of around £800 per damper on the front .

133/225/CLS AMG
What do people think needed to have been done to the car to stop it being "just another 182"?

The seats were exclusive to the car at the time, the Megane didn't get them until later.

It's no different for the Megane, I've really enjoyed driving the Megane Trophy and F1 in the past, and I'd expect the new F1 R26 to be even better, but surely you could just say that's just another Megane with bits (which will be available on all at some point) and a colour which was on a Clio so that's not unique?

I don't understand just what people expect a manufacturer to change on a car before they accept it's different enough from the rest of the range?

The thing is its not different from the range!! Its just another variation of the same model of the car.

Clio 182
Clio 182 Cup
Clio 182 with Cup Packs
Clio Trophy

They are all variations of the same bloody car!! All be it a very very good car. The same applies to the Megane 225!! Whether its a Trophy, Cup, F1 its still a Megane 225.

Its a frustrating thing that Renault don't design a car, stick with it for a while then redesign it and come out with something new. Unfortunately they just 'improve' their current line up and depreciate the original. :( :(

Lee

BMW M2C

The thing is its not different from the range!! Its just another variation of the same model of the car.

Clio 182
Clio 182 Cup
Clio 182 with Cup Packs
Clio Trophy

They are all variations of the same bloody car!! All be it a very very good car. The same applies to the Megane 225!! Whether its a Trophy, Cup, F1 its still a Megane 225.

Its a frustrating thing that Renault don't design a car, stick with it for a while then redesign it and come out with something new. Unfortunately they just 'improve' their current line up and depreciate the original. :( :(

That makes more sense. I agree. They seem to take an evolutionary approach to their model ranges. It doesn't bother me, as most the cars are good in the first place and only get made better. People need to not lose sight of that, the originals are still great cars. But I know it does frustrate some owners.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
you could say that a coupe 20v turbo, has just add ons from the oringinal 2.0 16v......... ;)

and it has a tipo chassis, so no great handler

133/225/CLS AMG
Lee - I found it very frustrating when I bought my Clio 172. Got it brand new back on a 53 plate, November 2003 then within 6 months they'd released the 182. Minor cosmetic changes and minimal performance gains!! But a nice bit of depreciation.

I took a different approach with my Megane and ordered it exactly as I wanted. Full fat with xenons and climate control, rather than cup pack. I think in real world, on the road situations the variations don't make much difference to the average driver!!

If you buy a Renault you have to just accept that they'll come along and f*ck up the market within 6 months of you buying the car!! lol

Would we all be in agreement that most RenaultSports are damn good cars?? :D

Lee

BMW M2C
Lee - I found it very frustrating when I bought my Clio 172. Got it brand new back on a 53 plate, November 2003 then within 6 months they'd released the 182. Minor cosmetic changes and minimal performance gains!! But a nice bit of depreciation.

I took a different approach with my Megane and ordered it exactly as I wanted. Full fat with xenons and climate control, rather than cup pack. I think in real world, on the road situations the variations don't make much difference to the average driver!!

If you buy a Renault you have to just accept that they'll come along and f*ck up the market within 6 months of you buying the car!! lol

I bought a new FF 172 then the Cup came along. I wish I'd known and taken the Cup. 12 months later I bought the 182 with Cup packs as I'd always fancied a Cup, but obviously there were no more new ones for sale. At least with the Trophy it's got all the things I want. There's not an option I'd add or remove. Rides a little hard at times though. :eek:

No arguments from me. I've enjoyed everyone I've ever driven. Be it a Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Megane or Clio V6. They all have something about them to stir emotion. :eek:

you could say that a coupe 20v turbo, has just add ons from the oringinal 2.0 16v......... ;)

I suppose you could do, but if you gave the Clio Sport an extra 80hp I think you would all be jumping around a bit more over the Trophy as a new set of suspension has given you all hard ons :)

Should have had I bought a new FF 172 then the Cup came along. I wish I'd known and taken the Cup. 12 months later I bought the 182 with Cup packs as I'd always fancied a Cup, but obviously there were no more new ones for sale. At least with the Trophy it's got all the things I want. There's not an option I'd add or remove. Rides a little hard at times though. :eek:

No arguments from me. I've enjoyed everyone I've ever driven. Be it a Mk1, Mk2, Mk3, Megane or Clio V6. They all have something about them to stir emotion. :eek:

Should have had Xenons

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

197....? ;)

Lee

BMW M2C
I don't need Xenons, they are just a fancy toy. They may look nicer but that's it. All headlights have to light up the way home. lol

I love the 197. Just not enough to change yet.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

I suppose you could do, but if you gave the Clio Sport an extra 80hp I think you would all be jumping around a bit more over the Trophy as a new set of suspension has given you all hard ons :)

Depends what the cars used for though, bet a trophy would show the coop a clean pair of heals round a track? no point having all that power if it cant be used, or put down properly ;)

133/225/CLS AMG
It does depend on what you want from a car.

I used to find the speed of my Clio 172 great and the handling fun but not something I got to push that much.

So when I picked my Megane I wanted a refined but fast drive so the full fat was the way to go.

My missus has a Clio 182 Cup, bought it because it was the best 182 available at the time but if I owned one I'd miss the full fat options. Yet to other people they'd only take a Clio Cup! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.