ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any Sky Broadband Users?

Not a Clio
The place we're moving to is able to get Sky Broadband Max (up tp 16MB) and for £10 a month is definitely the cheapest option available to me.

I have my own router, so wouldn't use anything they provide.

Going on service alone, is it actually any good?

172 Cup
Part of the Easynet network so in theory it should be fine. Like any ISP I've heard good things and bad things about them.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The place we're moving to is able to get Sky Broadband Max (up tp 16MB) and for £10 a month is definitely the cheapest option available to me.

I'm on sky broadband (max) and have no problems.

Btw, you're contractually obliged to use their router. They don't supply username or password for the service. There are various ways of extracting this from the old routers (DG834) that they used to supply.

They now supply 2 different routers, one of which you can extract this information from by flashing on a different firmware, not sure about the other one.

skyuser.co.uk has a wealth of information.

Punto/Clio GTT
im on the 16mb for £10 a month.

only problem i had was that our line had errors in when we was downloading at the full 16mb so it had to be capped at 9mb to keep it stable.

once a month it may go down for a few hours, possibly maintenance?

apart from that, best isp ive used, very very good solid download speed all throughout the day, no line dropping at peak hours.

Not a Clio

Btw, you're contractually obliged to use their router. They don't supply username or password for the service. There are various ways of extracting this from the old routers (DG834) that they used to supply.

They now supply 2 different routers, one of which you can extract this information from by flashing on a different firmware, not sure about the other one.

Sounds a bit daft and I've not read favourable stores about their own router. At least I know my hardware works as it should and can hold a stable connection.
I assume it's a wireless router as the pic on the Sky site shows an aerial, does it also have ethernet ports? and does it have NAT?

Last edited:

Sounds a bit daft and I've not read favourable stores about their own router. At least I know my hardware works as it should and can hold a stable connection.
I assume it's a wireless router as the pic on the Sky site shows an aerial, does it also have ethernet ports? and does it have NAT?

It's just a Netgear DG834G(T?) really.. :)
(Which, out of all the consumer ADSL routers, is about the best IMO - well the DG834G is..)

Is the 834GT the new router? As opposed to the 834G?

Not a Clio
The more I read the more I'm being put off now tbh. It seems that if their own router breaks out of the warranty period that they cannot supply you with a replacement. Just read a story where a customer was told by 3 Sky employees that the only way to get back online was to leave Sky and use another provider.

172 Cup

It's just a Netgear DG834G(T?) really.. :)
(Which, out of all the consumer ADSL routers, is about the best IMO - well the DG834G is..)

It's not anymore.. Sky are providing different routers these days.

Punto/Clio GTT
The more I read the more I'm being put off now tbh. It seems that if their own router breaks out of the warranty period that they cannot supply you with a replacement. Just read a story where a customer was told by 3 Sky employees that the only way to get back online was to leave Sky and use another provider.

i know quite a few people with the sky broadband in my family, noones had any problems with their routers.

if youve got sky tv and can get the 16mb for £10, youd be a mug to look at anything else imo

Not a Clio

i know quite a few people with the sky broadband in my family, noones had any problems with their routers.

if youve got sky tv and can get the 16mb for £10, youd be a mug to look at anything else imo

You're probably right, for a tenner it's worth the risk and it seems that it may be possible to extract the username and password from the router so that I could use my own hardware if I wanted.

Lotus Elise 111R
No problems at all here, with either the line dropping or router breaking. Very pleased, and I don't pay a penny over my Sky subs.

Punto/Clio GTT
its a good service, but if u get 16mb i'll eat my own testicles

skyftw.jpg

me downloading before i had to cap it at 9mb.

there was a download above these too, which took it upto around 16ish.

can you webcam me eating your own testicles please? ide like to see it, ty x

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm looking at going with Sky at the moment, one question though, if they supply the wireless router and you HAVE to use it, can you still control it? i.e reserve addresses, configure the wireless security, etc, etc.

Clio 182

I just came on to ask the same question... I now have the option to change from Virgin to Sky saving a significant amount of money on the total package of tv/broadband/phone.

Anyone else had any issues with Sky broadband??

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
I have it, no issues at all although like ViolentJ I was intending to use my own router but I'm using theirs - no issues at all and I sold my old one which was a bonus :)

MG ZS180 Mk2
I have Sky max. We had a connection problems for a few weeks when we first got it but it is pretty stable 95% of the time. maybe 2 or 3 times a week the noise level drops on the line and I have to reboot the router before it will connect.

I already had a Netgear DG834G router and then got sent a DG834GT router as well. I extracted the username and password (2 min job @ skyuser) and then entered this onto the DG834G router and it has been like that for nearly a year.
Don't know what I did it, the sky provided router was fine.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
My Sky Broadband has been connected just this morning, spot on, 7.4mb connection (I'm on the 8MB deal) using Sky's own DG934G and its working a treat. I'm paying £25 a month for 8MB broadband and 5 TV mixes, I would have been paying £20 a month for just 8mb BB alone, great deal.