ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Any theory on this

clio 1.6 Dynamique
Whats the difference between a short intake pipe and a long intake pipe?

I have a 1.6 2004 clio and I want to keep the air box at the back of the engine and
remove the resonator box , replace it with a long intake pipe from the side of the headlight to the original air box Any advice on this....

I tried a K&N 57i good sound lost a bit of torque though might sell it

So im thinking of trying this :S

Also can you get an adapter for the oval shaped entrance to 1.6 airbox cheers guys im doing my membership later

clio 1.6 Dynamique
Yeh I tried the 57i kit good sound but lost torque

But i keep the original set up but replace resonator with an intake pipe

hence Q on Whats the difference between a short intake pipe and a long intake pipe?

Any advice would be great, I have a few cars but trying different things with my Clio as it will be track car

and prob go for the 182 cup engine swap

Listerine & Poledo
Ok ,, What do you mean quit while your ahead pal ,, Im looking for theory's on the question asked :coffee:

Sorry fella, I'm just failing at reading today.

Yeah, I meant don't start spending money on trying to pull power out of the 1.6, unless you've got plans to add boost or other such serious action.

Most on here seem to get a cold air feed from the fog-light spaces (where they dont have fogs), do a search on the forum you might find your answer, if not, maybe some inspiration

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
to answer your q about the short or the long pipe, i'm assuming your talking about the pipe from the airbox?
unless used as a rampipe it won't make any difference which length you use, as there will be no pulse ram effect in front of the airfilter.

Clio 182
Theoretically there are four things you need to consider and the perfect intake is a trade off of all four.

1) Harmonic intake tuning
2) Inlet design complexity
3) Intake length and internal resistance
4) Intake temperature

In that order!

1) the harmonic tuning is used before the plenum just in the same way the intake runners work, you can see some gains if you play around with the ram pipe , start with around 7 inch ram pipe from the throttle body and adjust the length either way until you find the best gains. To fully understand this concept you will need to research harmonic intake tuning.

2) less bends and curves as possible as this restricts flow

3) think of your intake as a straw that your engine has to suck through, it's harder to suck through a long straw than a short one! Try to keep the overall langth short without disrupting harmonics, this might mean sacrificing the cold air feed.

4) colder air is denser and gives more power, just focus on not drawing hot air, any other difference won't be noticeable. Remember to keep the intake short in resistance/ length, this is why it's sometimes better to place a cold air feed close to a filter rather than making it one long and enclosed system.