ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anybody gone from a 172 to a Williams

Just wondering if anyone on here has made this move ? I know people have gone the other way but not know of anyone who has done this. I would be interested to hear your thoughts if you have.

What could I expect by making this move ? A sacrifice in refinement no doubt ?

Laguna

I very nearly did it before getting the Laguna, I looked at it purely on the fun per £. I thought that for the money you can pick them up for now. Selling the 172 would leave me money in the bank towards the house and still have a fun/ quick car to drive. Also the williams has always been something ive wanted to own. But in the end my dad was selling his laguna and I brought it cheap and had more £££s towards the house.

If your reasons are simular go for it. I dont think I would have any regrets if I had got a Williams. But I would imagine that there will be a few new car / old car quotes again...

people generally move from the 172 to the Williams after all the jokes about their masculinity start to get to them, then they decide that the more butch looking Williams is the best choice.

its very refined the Williams, if you get a 2 or later you even get electric mirrors which always impresses friends and family when they see them actually moving the mirrors. electric windows too and power steering... what more refinement does a car need? oh yeah, it also displays outside temperature... incorrectly

Trophy

I went from a 172 cup to a Williams due to a house purchase but have always preferred the look of the mk1.
No regrets!

Mat.

Other way around of course for me, but from my recollections of Williams ownership and driving over the same roads it would seem that the Willy is similar in driving character to the 172.

Theres the same low-rev torque and pull all the way to the red-line (lower in the Willy of course). I wouldnt say that the 172 is noticeably quicker in a straight line and the handling is very similar in terms of feel...or much closer than I thought it would be at least.

The major issue with Williams ownership is having the time to care for it. Its difficult enough to find a mint example - and its a crime not to keep one in tip-top shape. Whereas with a 172 you dont really have to worry about things like corrosion and age-related wear, it can be a bit of a battle to keep on top of it all with a lot of Mk1 Clios (well, at least if youre a perfectionist like me!). There are also the typical age-related Renault issues, like wheel bearings, rubbers, mounts, suspension etc.

If you buy a sorted Williams, then the niggles and repairs should be respectably low - but the "average" Williams or 16V could well need a tidy sum spent on it every so often...as I found out over 6 years of combined ownership of Mk1 Clios!

Id also suggest looking for a 16V if youre looking at a Williams. You could find a very tidy example for £2,000 - leaving plenty of dosh for maintenance and care.

You will lose out on many mod cons with either a 16V or Williams, but the driving sensation offered by both are terrific and the support youll get from the forum is a bonus.

Quote: Originally posted by northy on 14 February 2005

BigBoreBri has mate.

Ive sent him a pm to this link.
You sure about that mate? lol ;)

I wont go into the ins and outs as its been covered a few times now, in the most simple way i can put it:

Its the BEST thing you could possibly do!! :D