ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anybody using a Mac Mini as a media centre?

Alongside this media upgrade thread I have posted, I'm thinking of using a second hand mac mini as a media centre.

Is anybody currently running one as a media centre? If so, what sort of specs (g4/intel, memory, HDD etc) and set up are you using?

I already know about perian for codecs, and have also found the "plex" media centre software, and handbrake for ripping DVDs to the hard drive.

Anybody doing it differently to using those 3 pieces of software?

Plex hasn't needed anything else since I've used it.

Depends what format your files are in, but it will handle most things by itself.

Cupra
I was seriously tempted to do this too, but my mother in law and wife have to be able to use it to with no fuss, so I went for a dedicated media player instead. If you aren't planning on using internet on it, I'd recommend going the same route TBH!

I was seriously tempted to do this too, but my mother in law and wife have to be able to use it to with no fuss, so I went for a dedicated media player instead. If you aren't planning on using internet on it, I'd recommend going the same route TBH!

TBH mate, it couldn't be any simpler.

Set Plex to boot on start up and that's it. Then it's just the Apple remote. That has 3 buttons so even women can use it! Lol.

I've bit the bullet and bought a 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo Mini, 2GB Memory and 120GB HDD, with wired mouse & keyboard, running on 10.6 (Snow Leopard). It's old hat, but should be enough to effortlessly play music and movies. Can always upgrade the HDD in the future too, or run an external alongside.

Going to a windows based media centre was never an option, I HATE windows with a passion.

Plex seems a good piece of kit.

Last edited:
  Cupra
TBH mate, it couldn't be any simpler.

Set Plex to boot on start up and that's it. Then it's just the Apple remote. That has 3 buttons so even women can use it! Lol.

Damn.... should have done a touch more research before I bit the bullet! Ah well, it was considerably cheaper although not a patch on a mac mini.

I've bit the bullet and bought a 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo Mini, 2GB Memory and 120GB HDD, with wired mouse & keyboard, running on 10.6 (Snow Leopard). It's old hat, but should be enough to effortlessly play music and movies. Can always upgrade the HDD in the future too, or run an external alongside.

Going to a windows based media centre was never an option, I HATE windows with a passion.

Plex seems a good piece of kit.

I didn't do a windows one, I just got a ready made media player from Western Digital. Its a great bit of kit and does everything I needed it to with minimum cost/ hassle. I have left my wife with a video on the desktop of a laptop to watch before and she has still called me up to ask why it isn't working. This thing just plays everything with a couple of buttons.

Well I wanted it to store & play all my music/DVDs primarily, but I also wanted internet access. That way, I can watch some of these corking vimeos in HD and decent sound. Plus it's nice to have another mac.

Had a play with Plex yesterday, not 100% sure on it so far.

For music it links with itunes which isn't a problem, but itunes f***s up the ordering of all my multi-artist multi-disc albums. So I'm going to have to look into that.