ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone else dislike their 1*2?

Had my Cup about 18 months now and I seem to be at a stage where i'm not happy with it. I look at it sometimes and don't like the lines of it and wish I had something else.

Had it standard for about a year, then I fitted some coilovers and changed the wheels to have a different look.

I am sort of happy with the appearance but don't want to keep spending money on a car gonig down in value which is going to fall apart at some point.

Not sure whether to press on and keep at it doing bits at a time, or chuck it in for another german barge.

Anyone else gone through this phase?

Peugeot 308
Yeah I get that feeling alot! I've chucked considerable amounts at my Ph1....

Im going to pursist though, do a couple of track days and generally make use of what I've done to it whilst enjoying it.

White clique
i did, i couldnt stand my 182 any longer, and was so keen to see the back of it that when i traded to the 197, i gave him the 182 as deposit and took the train home.

i just got really fed up with it, and there werent even any problems!

A ANIMAL
i did, i couldnt stand my 182 any longer, and was so keen to see the back of it that when i traded to the 197, i gave him the 182 as deposit and took the train home.

i just got really fed up with it, and there werent even any problems!

Well....you are a bit gay....so....

xx

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I've not had mine long and sometimes hate it,

Then it redeems itself on a nice cold, dry evening

ITB BG 182
I dont hate the clio, im just thinking maybe i should get a more eco car as im not too arsed about track sessions anymore and your not legally allowed to race on the road either. The noises are great from it on ITB's but im just thinking its all noise.
I might just keep the clio till it hits the floor or 100k or even if i loose my license again.
I know my next car will be some thing that does a minimum of 70mpg. Sod the performance as i want to drive every where.

Clio Ph2 172
I've just got my 172ff and I love it. I have had a few hot hatches now and think that this is the best hot hatch by far, for the money.

White clique
Well....you are a bit gay....so....

xx

snigger snigger.

i got the same bordom off all of my previous cars other than the Saxo VTR, 197 and possibly CRX. The 182 did my knob in, along with the 172. They felt old and tired when i got rid of them - over 3 years ago.

Ph1 172
i did after friday, fixed it sunday had an epic drive into work this afternoon so love it again. till something else falls off it! :(

What started it was reading the thread comparing the 172 cup to a GTi6. I genuinely enjoyed that car alot more than the clio. It just felt like it was built better.

Half the problem I think is the condition of it. I love the look of it when its clean, but don't have the gear or facilities to give it a good clean. Really needs a claying and a machine polish to bring the blue paintwork up. The colour is why I bought it to be honest, so it frustrates me when I see mint Mondial pics on here and I know mine can look like that.

White clique
What started it was reading the thread comparing the 172 cup to a GTi6. I genuinely enjoyed that car alot more than the clio. It just felt like it was built better.

Half the problem I think is the condition of it. I love the look of it when its clean, but don't have the gear or facilities to give it a good clean. Really needs a claying and a machine polish to bring the blue paintwork up. The colour is why I bought it to be honest, so it frustrates me when I see mint Mondial pics on here and I know mine can look like that.

a clay kit will be £20 and a hand polish and wax will make it look good (and tyre shine of course)!

I know what you mean about it looking clean for sure, I had a black gold 182 and unless looking spotless it looked cack.

172 ph1
i had a silver ph1 which was spot on...lack of funds forced me to sell it...bought a couple of s**t cars in between having an audi a3 1.8t quattro ot sick of that and got my current blue ph1 havent looked back since its class...although they arent the fastest of cars its my best out of all the cars ive had just cant decide wether to go down the modding route or keep it standard

Only had mine since June so it's still fairly new to me. It has some annoying things though, like the climate control fan making that stupid noise all the time. Sometimes though, you're on the right road at the right time and it all makes sense.

260% JCW
Have you taken it on the track ?

Each time i take mine on the track it puts a big grin on my face, wouldnt sell it. Just going to keep it a as toy now.

You see a few people on CS sell up, regret it and then end up buying another.

Octavia VRS
had mine just over a year now, had a few little niggles with it and now exhaust has blown! bought myself a milly with decat...:approve:

i really think my clio is a great looking car.. far nicer than many a barge out there.

182cup & 172 racecar
I am surrounded by them,road car,race car and a shell.They aren't lookers thats for sure,but they do go well.

I loved mine but it felt about a hundred years old when I sold it. Started to feel very fragile, and the interior looked like it been to the moon and back.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I loved mine but it felt about a hundred years old when I sold it. Started to feel very fragile, and the interior looked like it been to the moon and back.

Imo, thats one thing that seemed to go backwards on the 172/182's.

If you take the 16v Clio or the williams, the only thing on the interior to go wrong was the seat bolster, and that was mainly down to how deep the seats were. (Best seats EVER!)

Now look at the 172/182's and there a host of problems with regards to build quality. The steering wheels melt, the leather on the seats falls to bits, as does the alcantara, the door grab handles get dirty beyond repair, The airbag wiring under the seats is forever going wrong.....

Really don't understand the backwards step they made in quality tbh.

Have you taken it on the track ?

Each time i take mine on the track it puts a big grin on my face, wouldnt sell it. Just going to keep it a as toy now.

You see a few people on CS sell up, regret it and then end up buying another.

No its never been on a track.

I do get days where I go places that have interesting roads and I hoon it around and it handles well and pulls nicely, but for the last year I have mainly just used it for the mile journey to work or the shops.

When I had my 535i Sport I did like jumping back into the Clio and enjoy more of a go kart feel to the car, but now as its my only car I suppose I have just got used to it and take it for granted.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Servicing time? Do you mean the intervals? Not too bad considering a basic service can easily be done by yourself tbh, it's just the belt's that are a bit of a pain.

Do I hate mine? Do I f**k! A couple of the members off here do, due to the amount of time I spend with it on their drive, but I love the thing, I love fixing it, I love driving it, if I wanted something else, I'd sell it and buy that.

Westy. MX5
I drive my Cup once or twice in a fortnight and the odd trackday, as I'm usually in a V. Vivaro during workdays. Always a joy to take out the Cup for a good thrashing on me own.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
My problem is i had a 1.2 corsa sxi, stopped driving for a year then i've had 1*2s since, so to me there what a normal car is like, and i rarely drive anything else, works mondeo on occasions. So never appreciate it for what it is.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I drive a shite 1.3 diesel combo van all week at work, then comes the weekend, i jump in this and its brilliant.

Clio has less rattles, better ride, more power, nicer interior, comfier seats, better handling, dont think I'm going to die at every bend.

I'm not convinced on mine, it doesn't make me smile much at all, unlike my last car :( Time will tell though, going to book some track tuition. Mind you, i want a car that always makes me smile, not just on track :)
I just think i'm a Jap girl through & through, can't afford what i want though so will stick with the Clio until i can!!

Ph 1 172
Will love mine again in a few weeks, i was going down the duly boy racer route got there now hate it so I'm on the look out for titanium coloured wing mirror covers, silenced centre section for ktec stealth, black hamerite calipers, remove sub, amps and 6x9's, put standard headunit back in and then put oz f1's bk on and I'll b happy again lol never unhappy with how the car drives though

182cup & 172 racecar
Do you have a 172 road car aswell then tone?
No a 182 Cup Dan,still all the same shape though,I'd rather drive them than look at them.

Met someone at WSR and they said we have a Colshe Motors down near us,they couldn't believe it when I said it was the same one.They spoke in that carrot crunching style that you lot do so well.

I'd had mine just shy of 6 years from picking it up with delivery miles at the dealer until a couple of weeks ago and it was still a tough decision to get rid in all honesty. Bring on a decent EK9 if I can find one though, I'm sure that'll make up for the disappointment.

S4 Avant
Went through a good 4 month period of hating my car this summer. So much so that I couldn't be arsed to clean up the burst pack of frosties in the boot for 3 months. Over a course of paydays, I'm slowly fixing the problems I'm having with it.

DB.

BMW 440i
Sometimes i love it and feel really happy with it. Sometimes it disgusts me and i think it is a french shed made of cheese and want rid. Lol, The car is perfect aswell with no problems, so god knows why i think like that. I think i just want German build!