ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone ever completely ran out of gearbox oil leaked noise?

172 turbo
out of interest any one gone to check level because of a whine and found theres none and its all leeked my suspicions as alot of fluid under car but i know they leak abit ?? whines bad now :(

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Check the fluid

Red = PAS, if it's gearbox oil it'll probably look more "oily" (funnily enough).

Does the whine get worse as you turn the steering wheel at low speed, or as you speed up slow down?

172 turbo
no wine get worse when come of acelerator all gears qute loud high revs guessing gearbox just havn chekd oil for while?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I'd just change the gearbox oil anyway, get whatever parts you need instead of worrying about checking the level.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Because it's inexpensive and may cure your whine or at least make it last a bit longer....

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
how did you check the oil??

why dont you just fill it up?? i wouldnt have thought it would last very long without oil!

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
So your car is whining and you have oil on your driveway after the car has sat for a bit?

Am I right so far?

As said try and smell the oil and if it smells of cat piss its your gearbox so top it up.

Yes all cars use some oil and Clio's often leak a little engine oil but not usually so it ends up on your driveway so one way or another you have a problem, Have you checked your engine oil?

172 turbo
floodie shame im an licenced aircraft engineer be a shame for ure aircraft to go wrong on holiday careful with ure comments u look like an idiot now.

and coby mate right apart from no oil on driveway just alot around the gearbox itself so going to check tomoz take plug out actually hoping empty as oil should cure the noise if fullish then i need to worry true?

275 Trophy
floodie shame im an licenced aircraft engineer be a shame for ure aircraft to go wrong on holiday careful with ure comments u look like an idiot now.

and coby mate right apart from no oil on driveway just alot around the gearbox itself so going to check tomoz take plug out actually hoping empty as oil should cure the noise if fullish then i need to worry true?

You're an aircraft engineer and that is how you communicate? Please let us know exactly what aircraft you have worked on, because I'm sure nobody would be happy to fly on any of them.

You're an aircraft engineer and you drive a car knowing there is no oil in the gearbox? Please let us know exactly what aircraft you have worked on, because I'm sure nobody would be happy to fly on any of them.

I'm an mechanical engineer, working on bedding machines and to be honest, I would be worried about letting you loose on them!

Mk1 16v brooklands
^^^ I wouldn't want my aircraft to run out of oil.. But there were patches on the runway boss honest

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Let's all calm down ladies and try and help him.

Yeah take a look and as said they hold 3.1 litres of oil but 3 litres should suffice as you'll never fully drain the box of oil the oil.

172 cup TT

Thats the reply of the month right there - tell you what, i'll apologise to you down the prince later and buy you a beer

Last edited:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Put some oil in it, also incase you're not aware you fill it through the hole on the side with the butterfly clip, not the breather on top.

I love stacky's threads, always reminds me of philosraptor pic that has the confusing sentance on it (sadly can't find it :()

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I would top the oil up, tbh even if it was only 3/4 full there would still be enough oil in it to stop any real damage in most circumstances, obviously not ideal but not the end of the world. I have heard that in some cases gearbox's can run perfectly happily with only 1/4 full of oil, the nature of the movement moves the oil around enough to lubricate everything, the main issue I assume would be heat, or more precisely the inability to remove it, but i am just guessing!

If it had lost all its oil it would be very obvious, oil on drive etc...

My gearbox whines like a b**ch in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but has plenty of oil in it, I don't see it as a real problem and am not expecting it to give up any time soon, so I wouldn't worry too much.

172 turbo
cheers will but does it wine when u let off acelerator aswell lol so were talking all the time :(?

172 cup TT
Stacky, you didnt pick up on my "the Prince" comment yesterday - im literally on top of you location wise - I live just off 9 mile ride and the Prince is possibly your local too. Small world, lets be friends ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
An Licenced aircraft engineer? I an arent sure that's an right.

Oh and how did you pass all the exams with grammar and spelling like that?

Take it to the garage and get them to check it.

172 turbo
yes a travler site and did a licence course with virgin did all modules including rotary wing and type rated on the airbus a320 atm so u only have to revise for the exams i work with my hands and fill out job cards not paperwork based 24/7 like some office job !