ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

anyone use 95 ron fuel in 172/182

BMW 120i Sport

If so, any perceivable difference?

Ive always used Optimax but was thinking of putting a tank of 95 RON in to see what impact it had.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Doesnt seem to make any difference to mine.

If it had a turbo strapped to it, it may be a dif story.

Im trialling the cheap stuff for the next few weeks after religiously using shell optimax.

Will monitor my progress closely.

tiTTy & SV650

95ron is 95p where i work and 98 is about 98p, dunno what ron means in the north of Scotland, ron = pence?! :cry:

Suzuki SV650

I use whatever I can get my mitts on, I dont notice any change in performance or mpg, but then again Im not really that fussed about it tbh.

Mine deffo runs better on 97 or optimax. But it has been remapped, cat back exhaust (soon no cat) itg etc. So dont know if it makes any difference on std.

172beast

Mine gets Optimax every 4/5 tanks if its lucky, Morrisons or Sainsbury 95 ron any other time, runs fine and is just as quick

Yaris Hybrid

Renault tell you to use 98 RON. If you cant afford 5p a litre more then you better ask yourself whether you can afford the two thousand pounds a year in depreciation or a car that only does 35mpg and eats tyres and brake pads like sweets. I.e. you have the wrong car.

I mean £1.20 a week extra on fuel - if you cant afford that can you not afford to go down the pub and buy 5 pints at £2.30 a throw and then a taxi back from town at £15?!?!

172beast

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 27 March 2005
Renault tell you to use 98 RON. If you cant afford 5p a litre more then you better ask yourself whether you can afford the two thousand pounds a year in depreciation or a car that only does 35mpg and eats tyres and brake pads like sweets. I.e. you have the wrong car.I mean £1.20 a week extra on fuel - if you cant afford that can you not afford to go down the pub and buy 5 pints at £2.30 a throw and then a taxi back from town at £15?!?!

PMSL @ this, if your stupid enough to believe 97RON does anything at all in a 172 then you own the wrong car. Only reason I use Opti every so often is for cleaning properties not the RON rating. 97 ron does feck all in a 172.

Yaris Hybrid

Glad you know more about engines than Renault, they have only been building cars for a hundred years so yeah I wouldnt believe anything they say :)!!! Guess they put that sticker on the filler flap for laugh?

For the record the only oil company selling 98 RON in the UK is Shell, none of the French oil cos do so no hidden agenda there.

Advising owners to run the car on expensive fuel would not exactly encourage sales so there is no way they would say it unless there was some benefit to it.

172beast

Aye that I do, fix faults Renault couldnt such as dodgy engine mounts and various knocking/rattles.

Anyho, do a little research, 97RON fuels the biggest con there is, for a NA car the only benefit it offers is its cleaning agents, just cos Renault stick a 98RON sticker on the fuel cap doesnt mean its gonna blow up if you use 3 RON less and anyway, 97RON fuel losses its RON rating a lot quicker then 95RON so chances are that 97RON your filling up on is more then likely closer the 95RON anyway. As I say, the 172 will adjust fine to run on 95RON fuel

Shells not 98 either, its 97, no where sells owt higher then 97 in the UK

[Edited by 172beast on 3/27/2005 3:09:50 PM]

Yaris Hybrid

If the car is "adjusting" that means it is retarding the ignition.... and what will that do to performance?

Now some people say the 172/182 engine has fixed timing. Disappointing if it does as even my Vectra used to adjust the timing as per readings from the knock sensor. If the timing is set for 98 RON fuel then it is questionable as to whether any damage will be done by running on 95 RON but if the engine in my Vectra would choose to r****d the timing when I put 95 RON in you have to ask why....?

Shell is indeed 98 RON, and contrary to all the consipiracy theories on the net it does not lose its octane rating whilst in the tank or stored at the garage etc. The 98 RON is the minimum it will be when you get it, sometimes it could be a tad higher but we are only talking about small amounts. Unless the fuel is stored for a long time in very poor conditions it will always at least 98 RON.

172beast

Nothing!!!! It wont do anything to performance!! Opti is only good for its cleaning properties. Its a bloody great con, its doesnt r****d it enough to effect anything, were only talking at 2 RON if the fuels brand new which chances are it aint so its more then likely 1RON if that! Ive done my own, admitable not very scientific tests, qtr miled at Pod on normal fuel, ran 15.07, few weeks later after a few tanks of 97 ron went to York and ran 15.04, feck all difference. Evo mag did some proper tests ages back on 4/5 of there fast fleet, none of the cars noticed anything more then .2 of a second difference performance wise, most nowt at all, only difference was the valves were cleaner after using Opti. Sure they had a BMW M Coupe, valves were clean before and after, performance difference was nothing, think it was .02 quicker to 100 or summit daft like that. Now if Opti makes that much difference to a M Coupe, then is it really gonna make much difference to a 172??!

Renault dont tell you to use 98 Ron fuel, they advise you to. I asked a technician at a Renault dealer why this was, he said he didnt know. So obviously very important, from a warranty perspective.;)

If it was the case that it is a critical to use 98 Ron fuel, then why are Renault selling a car in to a market which has only one outlet for the fuel the car needs:confused:

I dont feel any any difference in performance using 95 / 98, however the every two fill ups I put in Optimax, like 172 beast said "for the cleaning properties".

Yaris Hybrid

You know those days where your car feels fast and other days where it feels slow - down to humidity/air temp/pressure etc. Well the difference optimax makes to me seems to be about the same as that. Very subtle and obviously due to changing weather conditions its no good running a few weeks later expecially on different drag strips and different tarmac!

Not even sure it affects outright power output that much, seems to me to be more about pick up and a certain crispness to the throttle response.

The fuel consumption difference was consistently noticeable to me though.

172beast

Lol, weekly fuel argument, should have a sticky saying, "Use whatever fuel you like"

dk

911 GTS Cab

Well im with Toypop on this one, Renault advise to use 98 so I will, cant be bothered with the extra few pence, I bought a performance car so I might aswell treat it as such.

Ever found that cheap batteries last less that Duracell Superduper? Same sort of thing, you get what you pay for and if it wants the better stuff, it will get it and I wont have to worry what 95 does as it will never experience it!

Remapped derv Golf

Using 98 DID (seem) make a difference in my VTR. I could always feel the car was running better and picked up better on take off.

Isnt 98 the rating of standard unleaded in France? Super over 100? I know in italy they called Optimax V-Power and its 99Ron

Never used 95 in the Cup but when you tot up the price difference between filling with 95 and 98 it doesnt really matter - only £2 if that!!!!

Unless you do mega miles! which i dont!

well i use super unleaded and find that its better than 95 cos i went back toi 95 for a week and found the car to be lumpy at times! maybe thats just me but the car did feel smoother on the 98,

just IMO but i wish the f**king cost of fuel would go down then we wouldnt have to have this problem we could all just use 98 and not worry lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 27 March 2005

Well im with Toypop on this one, Renault advise to use 98 so I will, cant be bothered with the extra few pence, I bought a performance car so I might aswell treat it as such.
Exactly!

Mine has only once had normal supermarket 95 RON in it, and the difference it made when idling was dramatic...was really lumpy, and became tricky to make smooth progress in slow moving traffic.

Apart from that its been Optimax all the way.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

get down to silverstone and buy yourself some 100ron race fuel, if nothing else it makes my zippo burn cleaner:D

133/225/CLS AMG

I always go for Optimax think Ive only ever gone for something else about twice since I owned the car so dont know if it would hinder performance if not.

Does actually say on the inside of the petrol cap 98 RON..

Isnt Optimax supposed to be good at keeping your engine cleaner and all that?!?!?

Ford Fiesta

never used anything else so can;t really say.

the 100ron stuff at silverstone, is this gonna be any better, or can it do any harm running with such a high RON in road cars?

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

im sure it says 97 ron on the fuel cap so why use anything else, thats what renno say to use so use it!!!

133/225/CLS AMG

Maybe Im mistaken but I know it wasnt the standard 95 RON unleaded so I stuck with Optimax.

I believe BP do some kind of ultra petrol that 97 or 98?!?!?!

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

says 98ron on the cap, used to use optimax but am cutting down on my expenses now, have to say using 95ron does make the car feel sluggish still quick but isnt as peaky or lively or maybe its just me

Shhh

Erm, try to use the 98ron as recommended but 9/10 times the first garage i come across when the fuel light comes on normally does not stock the required grade, so the next available fuel will do. Its better to have the 95ron than no fuel at all..

If i can, i like to mix it anyway if i do put 95 ron in..

Alias

ClioSport 182

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 27 March 2005

Renault tell you to use 98 RON. If you cant afford 5p a litre more then you better ask yourself whether you can afford the two thousand pounds a year in depreciation or a car that only does 35mpg and eats tyres and brake pads like sweets. I.e. you have the wrong car.

I mean £1.20 a week extra on fuel - if you cant afford that can you not afford to go down the pub and buy 5 pints at £2.30 a throw and then a taxi back from town at £15?!?!
Im with toypop 100% on this one. Also every petrol station here in Spain has 98 Ron which gives me no excuse not to use it!!

KnightAzul

Yaris Hybrid

For those that arent in spain check the Shell site for the nearest garage that stocks Optimax!

This is another reason why I cant understand people whod rather use 95RON to save money. I drive out of my way to get fuel but I dont even count how much extra that costs me to travel as I will often just take my car out for the pure hell of it and the pleasure of driving. Which as I said before is the whole point of the car and if you cant do that you might as well buy a 1.2!

BMW 120i Sport

I didnt mean for this to be a "does using optimax make a difference" thread, it was more of a "it says 98 RON recommended on the fuel cap, can you get away with normal 95 RON without it damaging the engine or causing other issues" thread.

Thats all :).

Ford Fiesta

^^ they say 98RON ^^ so only optimax in the UK then if you go by the book.

I doubt it would do any harm using 95 ron fuel though, after all there are people driving them out there who dont even know 98 ron/85 ron difference.

I use superleaded or Optimax mainly because I get an extra 20-30 miles out of a tank of petrol. I repeated the test several times, each time filling up with 3-4 full tank fulls of the same grade petrol.

I worked out I break even by spending 5pence more a litre and getting mileage to a tank.;)

I dont know whether I get better performance but its seems a bit quicker, runs smoother, placebo effect perhaps?

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 27 March 2005

never used anything else so can;t really say.

the 100ron stuff at silverstone, is this gonna be any better, or can it do any harm running with such a high RON in road cars?
wouldnt reccomend it for anything thats not been mapped for it, and it makes no difference on anything thats not turbod/supercharged. i only use it in one of my more extreme beasts (and my zippo);)

clio v6

big g you can use 95 mate the pinking sensor will r****d the ignition for it... the recommended is for optimum performance...etc...etc..

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355

Quote: Originally posted by clarkiev6 on 28 March 2005

big g you can use 95 mate the pinking sensor will r****d the ignition for it... the recommended is for optimum performance...etc...etc..
To summarise: Use 95 and youll be retarded. ;) (the ignition that is)

I use 95 every now and again and i can always notice a difference. The car does not run as smooth, and i get better MPG on Optimax no doubt about it, probably due more to the fact im easier on the throttle as it pics up better, than anything else. No harm in using 95 though, just might as well pay the extra for super or optimax if you can get it.

EVO VII

i use 97 RON, if youve ever owned a R5GTT you will know why. i put 95 RON in once ( there was no petrol stations that sold it and i was low ) the car pinked its tits of on standard boost :cry: .

I know a 172 isnt the same but if renault are recommending high octane fuel then there is a reason why. if your changing your oil, you would stick in what the manufacture recommends.