ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Anyone used the Pipercorss VENOM IK?

Monaco 172
Hi guys,

I'm looking to get myself an induction kit but having just forked out £750 for Cam/Aux belts and Dephaser Pulley, i don't want to pay a s**t load for one!;) In other words i don't want to be paying £200+ for a Pipercross Viper or Maxogen etc.

I've seen a kit called the Pipercross Venom:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380121861428

Looks as if it's similar to the Viper and is based on the same design, only not made from Carbon Fibre, hence the lower price. Anyone used one of these? Have any pictures of one fitted? Want to make sure i'm not wasting my money if i get one.

Thanks

Alot of people on here say IK reduce power but im sure it made my car more responsive with remap and exhaust. I would look at the samco ones on ebay as they look like the 106 raceland ones.

Monaco 172
Leaving it standard seems to be the general consensus from what I've read in a couple of other threads too. Shame. They look so much cooler than the standard box!

Not got a car
I.ve just ordered the simota twin charger thing, its and open kit that sit behind the headlight away from the engine, Had one on my 172 a few yrs back, the sound of it is amazing. I dont care about all this heatsoak business if it does "drop the BHP" its not gona be noticable, The sound is worth it.

Za**** & Xr250R
I've got a bmc cda and i can honestly say it's much better than the oem air box i'm getting better mpg and the engine run's smoother and it's not too pricey either

Not got a car
This one i found an awsome kit

1139550134_1.gif

Last edited:
  Not got a car
See with the "Venom" i think it will be a ball ache to fit as i bet you dont get any bracket to hold it in place so the plastic pipe on the t/b will have to support the weight and then it all goes tits up from there, been there done it.

Not got a car
Plus if it only has the reducers and the id or od is off how you gona connect the rubber reducer to the plastic pipe that connect to the t/b

Monaco 172
Looks awesome mate! Problem is that they're in the same sort of price range as the pipercross viper. The idea of going for the Venom was that it's around the £100 mark. Unless you know anywhere that you can get a bmc cda for closer to that price? Other than waiting for one to appear on the marketplace.

ValverInBits
if it's an IK, then it's just for sound.
Get a closed airbox with a CAF and you won't loose any performance.

Monaco 172
if it's an IK, then it's just for sound.
Get a closed airbox with a CAF and you won't loose any performance.

This is the thing; the pipercross website implies that the Venom IS a closed airbox. Well as far as i can make out anyway:

http://www.pipercross.net/fastroad/products_universal.asp

As i said before i'm not in the market for a performance boost that you'd get from a Maxogen or something like that. I'm looking for something that will give the car a bit more of a grunt but without affecting the performance. So, looking at the description on the Pipercross website, what are your opinions of it?

I'm thinking that it might be worth getting one, trying it out and then re-selling if it turns out to be a bit s**t! ;)

Monaco 172
Just thought i'd update this thread just in case anyone wants to use it for reference at some point.

I managed to get a pipercross VENOM kit from eBay for £75, which i thought was a little bit of a bargain. Fitted it at the weekend and i'm suitably impressed with it! Took about 25-30 minutes to fit, looks the part and sounds awesome.

As for performance; if there is any gain/decrease in performance, it's so small that i haven't noticed it so far. I'm going to need to wait until i've done a couple of longer runs to see if there's a noticeable improvement in economy. So right now all i'm really getting is an awesome sound from the engine, which is all i was really looking for!

I'll post some pictures later if i have time and will anything else i happen to notice.

On a side note; if anyone here has any advice for things to look out for in terms of performance gain/loss that would be useful to know as well.

rps13
A standard venom has a smaller overall inlet diameter than the standard airbox, unfortunatly it acts as a bit of a restricion.

The good news is that you can cut it in half to make one hell of a good noise like mine!

Or if its just noise you want I still have a one brand new ITG filter left, 76MM outlet so no need to step up/down from the throttle body size in the silicone elbow/joiner.

£50 posted.

Cheers
M