ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple 8/X

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
It was hard enough to justify £700 for my 7, but £1000 is just ridiculous.
Big discounts on the S8 make it tempting, plus boss has just got one and they are really nice

Reactions: Gus

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They usually match dollars to pounds Apple don't they? £1000 = $1000 ?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

Exactly.
That is an absolute obscene amount of money for a phone (and one that won't even be top of the leaderboards)

With some of the Sim only deals around at the moment keeping your current phone is very hard to resist.

BT have some cracking offers, especially if you and the mrs need to change because they offer discount on multiple plans.
20GB plan is £35 a month for both of you, with a £95 amazon gift card thrown in as well.

My 6S is just coming up to 2 years old now, still looks mint, works great, and had a new battery over the summer due to the recall, so it's making me consider keeping it another year, which I never do!

Battery recall on the 6S model??

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
They usually match dollars to pounds Apple don't they? £1000 = $1000 ?

Usually 50-100 below, I expect £900 for the 64gig.

Tbh cost doesn't bother me that much, I use it so much it probably works out quite cheap per hours use.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Phones are more expensive and the diminishing returns thing has come in to play. The 7plus will have a lot if not more due to touch I'd than the new phone will have.

Anyone buying a phone recently will have a very very good phone. They just have little niches.

Some will always want the latest and greatest but fact is people are keeping their phone way longer. I've just pre ordered my note 8 but had my note 4 for 3 years.

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really tempted with an apple phone this time. Got a galaxy 6 edge+ at the moment and tbh I'm only looking to change as the battery is terrible now.
This new one looks lovely but it's going to be a lot of money !

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Is £1000 really that much on a phone nowadays though?

For something that you use for 12 hours a day, can do everything with, and with the battery improvements meaning there's no need to change a phone every 12 months anymore (unless you have to have the latest phone), for the cost per use it works out very cheap.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Is £1000 really that much on a phone nowadays though?

For something that you use for 12 hours a day, can do everything with, and with the battery improvements meaning there's no need to change a phone every 12 months anymore (unless you have to have the latest phone), for the cost per use it works out very cheap.
Thats kind of my thinking too. I'll pay it because overall its cheap.

How much do all singing and dancing playstation cost these days?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
The top end "8" will be ultra-premium pricing but all the rumours say there will be a 7S-type range too which will be less obscenely priced.

Can't see me changing my SE TBH, had it replaced under warranty a few months ago so it's basically brand new and does everything I want. Maybe if they launch a new SE with upgraded internals and a better screen I might be tempted but I honestly can't see the need for a flagship phone these days.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Phones are more expensive and the diminishing returns thing has come in to play.

This, and I think it's because all of the simple innovation has been done already, small improvements in performance or stupid gimmicks are not going to tempt people to spend a grand on the latest model.

Gesture control? Face unlock?

Does anyone actually give a s**t about that rubbish??

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much sums up the SE on the above link..

My first smart phone and I am well and truly hooked. Love it great starter phone for a complete novice like me.

Rated by Daniel on 9th Aug 2017

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
My mum just go an se on upgrade. Perfect little thing for her.

I actually think it sold really well.

It sounds like they be naming the new phones iPhone 8 and "edition". Why though? Surely 7s and 7s plus?

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Rumour is that they want to mark the tenth anniversary with different naming, but then that’s one of those rumours which has come about because it was originally said in the media ages ago and has become nigh-on fact through repetition. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t.

Heard so many variations on it now,
7S, 7S Plus and 8
7S, PS Plus and X
8, 8 Plus and 8 Pro
iPhone, iPhone Plus, iPhone Pro
Now “edition” is in the mix too

TBH I don’t care what they call it, Fred, Wilma and Scooby would work just fine for me, just so long as they don’t call the SE “Scrappy” because I hate that stupid cartoon mutt :D

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Phones are getting hugely expensive. I wonder what providers will do. Wages haven't been increasing so previously providers could spread the cost over a 24 month contract and still offer the affordable monthly cost.

So what happens next. 3 year contract phones ? Phone pcp deals and the provider retains the asset?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Its only a grand hardly that expensive, people drop more on laptops, tvs etc all the time without issue.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Its only a grand hardly that expensive, people drop more on laptops, tvs etc all the time without issue.

A grand is still a huge amount of money! I think phones have gone up in price at a disproportionate rate.. as I was corrected in another thread, the last Xbox was £430 (4 years ago), and this new one coming out is £450.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Phones are getting hugely expensive. I wonder what providers will do. Wages haven't been increasing so previously providers could spread the cost over a 24 month contract and still offer the affordable monthly cost.

I looked at my upgrade options for Samsungs the other day, some 24 months plans were near £60 a month.
f**k that kinda money on a phone.

Most people don't replace their telly or laptop every year or two though, a decent laptop will probably do 5 years if not more.
Decent telly will do loads more.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
For those yet to achieve CS baller status it's still a fair bit of money, and when you look at the (rumoured) differences between say the 5s (first iPhone with touch ID), they haven't really changed enough to justify nearly a 100% increase in price, they still need to be charged daily and do many of the same things, the 5s can still run iOS11 so they can't be that different.
Fair enough if it's using better materials and is a bit bigger there will be a premium for that, but £400 seems steep. Imo ofc.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
It's the top end model if you can't afford it, buy one of the cheaper models?

Even at a grand it's only a couple of quid a day over 2 years, for what they are and the amount of use they get phones are actually very underpriced.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Big discounts on the S8 make it tempting, plus boss has just got one and they are really nice

Yeah I made the move to an S8+ as I knew the large screen iphone 8 would be a stupid price. Pretty chuffed with it tbh the change from ios is nice too as I've had iphones since the 4 and have become pretty bored of it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
i haven't bought a tv for about 5 years. My MacBook Air is 4 years old.

Consumer habits with mobile phones will most probably change.

It doesn't quite work like that though, you don't carry around your TV over those five years, you don't really go out drinking with your laptop using it to take photos etc.

Phones need to be somewhat expendable, which isn't the case at a grand!