ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple 8/X

dk

911 GTS Cab
If your phone is on the desk, how do you wake it to see the notifications without logging into the home screen or picking it up?
You have to click the home button with a finger not enrolled in Touch ID.

I just tap anywhere on the screen.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
So there are scenarios where one works and the other doesn’t either faceID of touchID.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to have both compliment each other to me but Apple cheaped out (with both hardware and design)...

It’s hardly more secure when on this very site we have a brother fooling one and over the news there have been varying stories of familial deception and cheap masks fooling it (admittedly I’m not sold on the mask story).
Statistically according to Apple it is more secure, but realistically it isn’t because someone with similar prints to me may live on the other side of the world and is hardly likely to break into my phone - someone who looks like me however lives in my fathers house... do you see what I’m getting at?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
So there are scenarios where one works and the other doesn’t either faceID of touchID.

Sounds like an ideal opportunity to have both compliment each other to me but Apple cheaped out (with both hardware and design)...

It’s hardly more secure when on this very site we have a brother fooling one and over the news there have been varying stories of familial deception and cheap masks fooling it (admittedly I’m not sold on the mask story).
Statistically according to Apple it is more secure, but realistically it isn’t because someone with similar prints to me may live on the other side of the world and is hardly likely to break into my phone - someone who looks like me however lives in my fathers house... do you see what I’m getting at?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
If your phone is on the desk, how do you wake it to see the notifications without logging into the home screen or picking it up?
You have to click the home button with a finger not enrolled in Touch ID.

I just tap anywhere on the screen.
I just use the very tip of my finger, it’s no greater heartache than you having to swipe up to unlock.
Which takes me back to my previous point - compliment not replace

dk

911 GTS Cab
I just use the very tip of my finger, it’s no greater heartache than you having to swipe up to unlock.
Which takes me back to my previous point - compliment not replace
I see what you’re saying, but the only place to put it would be on the back, which makes it less convenient to what you’re used to.

The ideal situation would only be if they were able to have it built into the screen, I guess whether we’ll see that or not on the next model will depend on whether faceid by itself is deemed as a success or not.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I see what you’re saying, but the only place to put it would be on the back, which makes it less convenient to what you’re used to.

The ideal situation would only be if they were able to have it built into the screen, I guess whether we’ll see that or not on the next model will depend on whether faceid by itself is deemed as a success or not.
This has already been done on a Chinese branded phone recently although I can't remember the name of it.
Full screen fingerprint recognition.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

I agree, which is why the X is a bit of a disappointment in my opinion.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

That's the perfect place for it to be. It falls naturally to hand every time you pick your phone up. It may be different to what you're used to but it's no less convenient.

As Jaff said above, my phones unlocked, open, and on it's home screen or whatever app I was last using before it's even within sight of my face and most probably before it's out of my pocket.

Face ID is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exit IMO. A well sorted, setup, and functioning fingerprint sensor just works so well.

dk

911 GTS Cab
That's the perfect place for it to be. It falls naturally to hand every time you pick your phone up. It may be different to what you're used to but it's no less convenient.

As Jaff said above, my phones unlocked, open, and on it's home screen or whatever app I was last using before it's even within sight of my face and most probably before it's out of my pocket.

Face ID is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exit IMO. A well sorted, setup, and functioning fingerprint sensor just works so well.
How do you open your phone on the desk without picking it up?

Every person I speak to with it on the back at work says it’s not ideal at all.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

To see notifications on the home screen? If it's idle I just pick it up or move it slightly and they appear.

I now have visions of you standing up and leaning over your phone to get your face read rather than picking it up LOL

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member

FaceID on the front...

Job done :wink:

Compliment not replace 😂

Reactions: dk

dk

911 GTS Cab
In fact the more I think about it, the more faceid is better than Touch ID.

When opening an app that has Touch ID security on it (my email, banking app, credit cards etc) I no longer have put my finger in the button to open it after clicking on the app, it just opens as it checks my face automatically as it’s opening the app, so is faster and more convenient.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
In fact the more I think about it, the more faceid is better than Touch ID.

When opening an app that has Touch ID security on it (my email, banking app, credit cards etc) I no longer have put my finger in the button to open it after clicking on the app, it just opens as it checks my face automatically as it’s opening the app, so is faster and more convenient.
Perfect, how do you purchase apps from the App Store? Serious question

dk

911 GTS Cab
To see notifications on the home screen? If it's idle I just pick it up or move it slightly and they appear.

I now
Double tap the Siri button and face id verifies purchase.
i hadn’t added an app until Jeff asked, I can see where he was leading ;) but I can see why they have the double tap of the button, as if it automatically purchased with faceid that would be pretty bad....

Doing this test has enlightened me to the McDonald’s ordering app, allowing you to place an order to pickup, not a bad app, stepping stone to when they do deliveries I guess.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
And that’s easier than verifying with touchID when you’ve reviewed what you want to purchase and happy with the price? Not imo. When you say Siri button you actually mean the lock button so what happens when you’re too slow with the double tap? Locks the phone and you have to open it again?

It’s lazy from Apple is all I’m saying a workaround to something that needn’t be worked around when the tech exists for both verification processes to exist in 1 device, just not in this case because it didn’t fit with apples design criteria (or it did and they made compromises because the tech to put it all under the screen isn’t there yet)

dk

911 GTS Cab
And that’s easier than verifying with touchID when you’ve reviewed what you want to purchase and happy with the price? Not imo. When you say Siri button you actually mean the lock button so what happens when you’re too slow with the double tap? Locks the phone and you have to open it again?

It’s lazy from Apple is all I’m saying a workaround to something that needn’t be worked around when the tech exists for both verification processes to exist in 1 device, just not in this case because it didn’t fit with apples design criteria (or it did and they made compromises because the tech to put it all under the screen isn’t there yet)
now you're stretching it a bit, how often do you buy apps, I can't remember the last time I actually downloaded a new app before you asked me to tonight, so clicking a button twice instead of putting your finger on a button is neither here nor there, you wouldn't accidentally purchase an app having to double click. And theres no issue with the doubleclick either, its actually clever, a thing comes on screen around the button asking you to do it, so its expecting it and won't lock it, so nice try ;)

Not at all lazy at all, they could have made it a single click on screen if they wanted, they chose to do something that wouldn't accidentally be done, next!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It’s not a competition lol you won’t change my opinion by giving me workarounds. Yes app purchases are rare but looking ahead Apple want you sending money with Apple Pay, And purchasing things online with verification.

Fact of the matter is in some instances one is easier to use and in others the other one is easier to use. In a £1000 phone (of that £1000, less then £400 goes on the physical hardware) id like the option of using both please

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Also! With a double verification system onboard there’s no f**king way it isn’t me trying to purchase something using Apple Pay in store meaning the limit should be lifted altogether surely?

dk

911 GTS Cab
what limit with Apple Pay?

the limit is set buy the retailer, you can pay for £90 of petrol with Apple Pay now at Shell garages.

Sure I used Apple Pay to buy the two iPhone Xs which was £2300.........

I don't use Touch ID or face id for Apple Pay anyway, just use my Apple Watch which needs neither :wink:

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
No you use another form of biometric scanner with your watch right? Pulse iirc?

And not everyone has a watch anyway as that’s another device to buy to have the functionality a £1000 phone should have!

dk

911 GTS Cab
No you use another form of biometric scanner with your watch right? Pulse iirc?

And not everyone has a watch anyway as that’s another device to buy to have the functionality a £1000 phone should have!
IT ALREADY HAS THE FUNCTIONALITY!!!!!!!

you don't have the phone, so you really can't comment on how useful it is, I have had Touch ID for years, I loved it, there is nothing wrong with face id!

And the watch does not use anything other that the fact its connected to the phone to authorise payments, if someone stole the watch, it wouldn't work without the phone, and you have to unlock it on your wrist when you put it on with either a passcode on the watch screen or opening the phone with faceid/Touch ID, they've thought of everything.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ok the functionality is there but it’s far from optimised. They’ve put in a workaround to have the new tech on there where the old tech was sufficient and superior in some aspects.

If I have the phone or not means nothing essentially because this thread is enough to put me off one until it’s a bit more polished and thought through.

It might work great for you and you’re happy to use the workarounds, wether it be by buying an Apple Watch or picking your phone up a different way that’s cool, but it doesn’t work for everyone

dk

911 GTS Cab
WTF are you on about?
How is it far from optimised?
What workaround are you on about?
How is touchID superior?
We've already discussed that faceid is superior as you can use it with wet hands.
I used it in bed last night in pitch black darkness, with my head on the pillow and on its side with the phone in a dock on my bedside table, faceid worked perfectly. This morning, I was half asleep, I got one eye open and looked at it and it let me in.
Its optimised, theres no workaround (are you referring to the additional protection to purchase something by clicking a button, something you have to do with Touch ID anyway?)

the Apple Watch was complimentary with both solutions, it works no differently with either.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I give up, you win faceID is the best coz Apple says so and you have no issues with it.

I’m ooooot

Reactions: DrR

dk

911 GTS Cab
The fact you've never used faceid is why you're out. You're basing your argument on second hand info.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I’m out because you can’t read and it’s going around in circles. I’ve made my point accept it or don’t I don’t particularly care. If it works for you that’s great, but it’d be nice if you pulled your head out of your arse and realised that it might not be perfect for everyone. Hence my opinion that you seem to not understand

dk

911 GTS Cab
if it didn't work particularly well, the internet would have exploded with how bad the device is and how its flawed, but as this hasn't happened, that tells you that its actually working for people and works as intended.

Its not like people didn't know what they were getting, and that Touch ID was not there, so as long as it works and gives the same functionality as before, then its a success.
You really can't judge something having never used it.

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
Love this camera. Quick one from today

5a68b4f284ab443a316acbc98103ca48.jpg

eves

ClioSport Club Member
  An old banger!
I’ve just ordered a Spigen case for the X. Anyone have this or anything similar?

5437e68c520f121bcc9f6d784d8d1d44.jpg

Last edited: