ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV 3

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The 1080p will warrant some extra processing power. Be nice if they gave us 16GB instead of 8GB.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The A4 can do 1080p, it just wont do it to apple standards. I doubt any ARM based media players exist. Let alone best the ATV2. (which is an iPad in a box)

720p Streamed content is class leading IMHO.

Last edited:
Pleased with the new ATV. Will demote the ATV2 to the bedroom I think.

Fantastic it's priced at £99 again too.

I wonder if the newer interface will be on ATV2, probably not, as that's another selling point.

Mental 172 Cup
Software Update for ATV2 avaliable now, I am downloading it so maybe its something to do with new interface..

New interface doesn't look as nice IMO:

Just gotta wait for Seas0nPass to Jailbreak it before I even consider upgrading my ATV2 OS.
As far as I can tell only difference is ATV3 can do 1080p? Which I'm not fussed about tbh as I just use it for online streaming.
apple-tv-new-ui_0.jpg

Rav4
Doesn't seem an amazingly polished interace, it does seem that the only advantage is 1080p, I don't think that's enough for me to buy one.

Wonder if they recalled lots and just changed some of the inside..... shame.

:)

Have they even changed the inside at all?
I'm guessing they would've had to change it slightly physically to get it to do 1080p,
but anything else, in terms of processor, memory etc?

Edit: answered my own question:

Size3.9 x 0.9 x 3.93.9 x 0.9 x 3.9
Output Resolution480p, 720p720p, 1080p
CPUApple A4single-core A5 chip
GraphicsPowerVR SGX535unknown
Memory256MB RAMunknown
Storage8GB8GB
Available Content:iTunes Store, Netflix, NHL, NBA, MLB, AirPlay, iCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, WSJ Live, and internet RadioiTunes Store, Netflix, NHL, NBA, MLB, AirPlay, iCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Flickr, WSJ Live, internet Radio
Video codecsH.264 720p, MPEG-4 480p, M-JPEG 720p, (1080p unofficially)H.264 1080p, MPEG-4 480p, M-JPEG 720p
Audio codecsHE-AAC, AAC, MP3, Audible, Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV, Dolby Digital 5.1HE-AAC, AAC, MP3, Audible, Apple Lossless, AIFF, WAV, Dolby Digital 5.1
Photo formatsJPEG, GIF, TIFFJPEG, GIF, TIFF
Wired Network10/100 Ethernet10/100 Ethernet
WiFi802.11 a/b/g/n802.11 a/b/g/n
Bluetooth2.1 + EDR (not enabled)unknown
ControlIR, iOS RemoteIR, iOS Remote
Apps/SDKNoNo
iOSiOS 5iOS 5
PortsHDMI, Optical, USBHDMI, Optical, USB
Power6 watt (built-in)6 watt (built-in)

Now we just need someone to tear one apart to see if the Memory is any bigger!

Last edited:
Processor chip, A4 in the old one, A5 single core in the new one.
No one's opened a new one up to see if it possibly has more RAM or different GPU - Yet.
And can obviously do 1080p. Thats it.

Rav4
Processor chip, A4 in the old one, A5 single core in the new one.
No one's opened a new one up to see if it possibly has more RAM or different GPU - Yet.
And can obviously do 1080p. Thats it.

Looks like nothing, apart from the chip.

Some good info here > http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/07/apple-tv-3-impressions-what-took-so-damn-long/

what is annoying, is that ATV2 could read 1080p, but downscaled it.

So realistically, it hasn't really changed.

The interface does look very basic, unlike apple normally.

It's an interesting one, maybe they are just gearing up for the next big apple TV.

How soon after launch are the atv's usually jailbroken?

Not looked into Apple TV much before, but after the new product's been announced and then looking at jailbroke ATV2's on ebayit really appeal's to me what you can get. £130 for a new box with a tonne of app's already on it!
Just wondering how long version 3 will take to unlock..?

TBH, i wouldnt bother with the new one.

Really? Why not? I'm new to the whole ATV device and what goes with it, so im trying to learn as much as i can.

Thought the prospect of a faster and uprated resolution would be really apealing?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Depends if you notice. Theres no JB out (yet) for the ATV3 so thats another reason not to.

I probably wouldn't notice tbh as I haven't had a go with one before.

Might just wait till the boxes start getting shipped out into the right people's hands to see what there is to deal with for jailbreaking etc..

To me. Not worth it whatsoever unless its Jailbroken.
Would be useless to me unjailbroken without things like TVcatchup, Icefilms, Iplayer etc.
Don't have much in the way of stored content, so 1080p doesn't bother me.

Only improvement that'd be useful to me would be an increase in RAM. Though no one knows if Apple have done this yet.

Audi S1
I would only bother getting ATV3 if

1. You're new to Apple TV's
2. It was jailbroke

It's not a worthy upgrade on ATV2.

Has anyone received theirs today?

Mine hasn't even been dispatched yet :(

I'll cancel and pick one up this weekend.