ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV any good?

Mercedes
Just got a new Sony 40" 3d TV with WIFI And all the gubbins but when i went to collect there was a problem so they gave me £50 quid back and chucked in Apple TV, i will collect it next week is it actually any good? What does it actually Do

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
It's great if you have movies on your iMac / PC that you want to stream. Can also rent movies and tv programmes.

Awesome if you have a US iTunes account and wish to watch newly released movies!

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
All you need is a US iTunes gift card to sign up ... You can't use your UK bank cards because they'll pick up ...

Can buy them online!

M135i
Saw you bragging about this earlier matt ;)

I want an apple tv, but it'll be so much better if/when we get netflix over here. Fingers crossed!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
We bought one so that our Mac Mini could go back to being used as a computer rather than a movie player. It's much more limited in what it does than the first generation, but then it's tiny, consumes virtually zero power and is completely silent and plays nicely with our phones (Airplay).

You can use iTunes home sharing to play content from your iTunes, bit of a pita because the account has to be logged in and iTunes running in order to be visible to the Apple TV, the sharing is probably the weakest part.

They need to do a deal with the BBC and bring iPlayer to it, then it'd be a much more attractive offering for the UK. Still, if they do open it to app developers then we should see a native BBC iPlayer client as the BBC are already working on a native client for other iOS devices, wouldn't hold my breath for this as it's still regarded as a "hobby" to Apple, they've obviously got grand designs on some future product and are iteratively trying things out.

Clio 172
IIRC the newer ones don't have an internal hard drive and it streams it all online?

Not too sure how true that one is though.

I have an alternative made by iomega - AppleTV is excellent though.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
IIRC the newer ones don't have an internal hard drive and it streams it all online?

Not too sure how true that one is though.

I have an alternative made by iomega - AppleTV is excellent though.

It has 8GB of internal flash which amongst other things it uses for caching streams. It is a streaming device, it's just that the way that it interacts with iTunes for streaming could do with a bit of streamlining.

If they sorted out the way iTunes sharing and streaming worked then it'd all be a lot slicker.

Mercedes
I only realy want it to stream I Tunes and Rent the Odd Movie, The TV has I Player and You Pube built in and links to the WIFI

SLK 350
You got one? I have and its great. And i got netflix working. (if i could be bothered to pay for a decent VPN i'd use it)

Small, uses zero power and silent, similar properties to a paperweight then.

There's too many better devices on the market, Apple dropped the ball with this tbh.

Im a massive troll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Playing games from your iPhone/iPad/Touch onto the big screen will be the next thing.

42" Angry Birds FTW!

With the new Mac App store, will 27" not be big enough for now?

Oh and i use my ATV all the time. Its the original. I think its better than the new one. If only the old one had the software on it, its a shame.

27" will be fine.

But my Mini is plugged into my big tv, so I'll download it on that too for even bigger-ness.

Mercedes
Well i have just got it, and as per with anything apple it was so simple to set up the easiest thing to network, stream and general ease of use. Would highly recommend it if just to sream i tunes to the tv and surround sound.

168259_10150391721565473_815335472_16798856_6318100_n.jpg

166663_10150391722420473_815335472_16798875_277420_n.jpg

164500_10150391724105473_815335472_16798914_6483714_n.jpg

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Are you not better off just buying a Mac mini and streaming/playing videos from iTunes that way? Then you can also use it as a media centre as well. Or is that not possible?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I've been playing with ours more, it's a pretty nice piece of kit.

The restrictions on viewing content however suck, only being able to view what's available through iTunes home sharing is crap because iTunes home sharing is crap (iTunes has to be running on the user account that you want to view the movies from).

However, bizarrely Apple have made the protocol airplay protocol very simple, to the point that after an hour or so of writing a little bit of code I was able to pretend to be an Apple TV and watch a movie by "airplaying" it from my phone. (What that erica saduns Airplayer application does - I love the fact that she uses GPL tools in her apps but is not offering the same kind of freedom back). It's even simpler to pretend to be the iPhone.

Next step is to make a daemon that boots at system startup and presents a web interface for playing movies from all user accounts on the machine, so you hit play on the iPhone and it airplays direct to the Apple TV from the computer.

I Just hope they don't lock down the protocol.

Citroen DS3 DSport
With the arrival of XBMC onto the ATV2 it is a much more attractive purchase for me now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you done it yet, Sneeks?

I might downgrade from my Mini as I don't use it for anything that the ATV can't do.

Citroen DS3 DSport
No I don't own a ATV2 but I think it could be a better solution for media playback than my Acer Revo 3610. Very tempted to purchase.

BG 182
have just been to blockbusters and rented a film, and got home to the postie having dropped off my Apple tv. what an awesome bit of kit. wont be visitng blockbuster ever again. its so easy to use. the only thing i dont like is searching on youtube for example, using the remote, its painful selecting letters!

can i use my mac in any way to stream youtube from mac -> apple tv, even its i need to jailbreak it?

thanks

BMW F31
It's good to watch films on ATV but I must admit sometimes I do enjoy goin to blockbuster and buying up a bargain. Not quite the same when renting from ATV

You can use the remote app for iPhone/iPod touch to control the ATV and it comes up with a keyboard on screen when searching.

Assuming you have either device!?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Boxee box is £100 more isnt it? No thanks.

It's also apparently not very good, I know a couple of people with them and the list of problems, quirks and bugs that they have is enormous. It also doesn't help that boxee seem to have no interest in bringing the pc version up to the same version as the box version, at least if they did that they'd have a hope of getting something that behaved sanely out of the door.

SchwepTek™
I loveeeeee xbmc on my atv2.

The tv and movie database make the library look awesome and it's all automated. :)

All working with my NAS now too.