ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV any good?

SchwepTek™
Really easy.

Just jailbreak it and then use terminal on mac to enter 4 or 5 lines of code from the guide on xbmc wiki.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I loveeeeee xbmc on my atv2.

The tv and movie database make the library look awesome and it's all automated. :)

All working with my NAS now too.

I need to do this asap. Does it retain original ATV function? i cant be missing glee.

SchwepTek™
Yep still acts like a normal atv and just adds the xbmc option tab.

Jailbreak is only tethered at the moment but I've found that atv only sleeps and never powers off so you never need to tether boot it.

SchwepTek™
Yep still acts like a normal atv and just adds the xbmc option tab.

Jailbreak is only tethered at the moment but I've found that atv only sleeps and never powers off so you never need to tether boot it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Good lad.

Seems like ages ago since i got mine. Mainly because it was.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Until XBMC was released onto it I was not really interested in buying one, I used to own the original ATV.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Bingo.

I was waiting for XBMC on the 2nd Gen before I bought one. Very little point without it, for me.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Until XBMC was released the ATV2 was only really useful for people with USA iTunes accounts. For UK only use it was a waste of time.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
i managed to get netflix working here too. but it needs a really really good VPN. or you are stuffed.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Could someone explain to me what xbmc actually does?

I presume its just a program you can run on a pc or mac with video's on and it will stream them to the atv, even if they are unsupported (i.e. divx files). Does it enable iplayer/4od streaming?

Might pick one up tonight as i'm off to meadowhall anyway.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
i played with it last night, its almost perfect. having an odd issue with resolution and i cant figure out how to get iPlayer working.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Could someone explain to me what xbmc actually does?

I presume its just a program you can run on a pc or mac with video's on and it will stream them to the atv, even if they are unsupported (i.e. divx files). Does it enable iplayer/4od streaming?

Might pick one up tonight as i'm off to meadowhall anyway.

You do not need a PC or Mac to be switched on, network attached storage works great. A demo of XBMC running on the ATV2:

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jonboy_rs

I have one, great piece of kit, but i get this screen 'flicker' on static menus, i have taken it back to apple and swapped it but still does it...

Tried all the software updates and reset :(

Could it be a compatibility issue with a Sony TV?

Citroen DS3 DSport
I may finally buy one of these on the way home tonight and install XBMC onto it. Hopefully more reliable with my networked drive than my Media PC is.

Citroen DS3 DSport

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Mine arrived today!

...when I was down the road at Staples getting f*cking paper! Agh.

I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Temptation got the better of me and I visited the Apple Store on the way home from work. ATV2 bought.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Bugger :( Thought I had a micro USB cable at home but cannot find it anywhere, will have to wait till the morning before I can jailbreak my ATV.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Micro USB cable purchased and ATV2 jailbroken and XBMC installed without any issues. Very happy with this as my media player.

SchwepTek™
I find it a bit slow. And it has crashed twice whilst changing skins. Also a lot of missing functionality/bugs at the moment.

Handles mkv files ok tho.

Citroen DS3 DSport
It was slow for the first few minutes while scanning my media library but now it is every bit as fast as when I use it on my computer.

I'm sure I read that it is currently optimised for the default skin.

Are you running the official or unofficial XBMC build?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Did you use seas0npass to JB?

It occured to me that i could just SSH into the ATV after the greenp0ison JB had run, but i havent tried it.