ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV any good?

Citroen DS3 DSport
http://www.greenpois0n.com/

Rc6 is out! No more tethering

What's the install procedure for this when the ATV2 is already jailbroken, can I run this and it'll automatically replace my Seas0n pass jb or do I need to restore the ATV2 to default iOS version beforehand?

EDIT:

Decided to try running it on my jb ATV2 and it installed perfectly and can now reboot untethered.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I'd forgotten how much I actually despise XMBC as an interface.....

...still the iPlayer addon is up and running, not very friendly to navigate (as per XMBC generally), but is functional.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Finally managed to get iPlayer working, SSH isn't so bad with cyberduck.
(Also figured out how to get thumbnails instead of list view)

TV catchup tonight, anyone suggest some other decent IPTV plugins/addons?

Actually for XBMC as a whole are there any plugins i should install? Any themes that beat the standard one?

Loving this aspect of the ATV2, the fact i can have best of both worlds is fantastic. Especially with a US iTunes account.
I just hope apple dot do anything stupid and kill the ability to jailbreak.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Went out and got the latest o2 router for £10.

Its got NAS support, so i'll start building a library on that.

Citroen DS3 DSport
XBMC library view is brilliant, nice to have all my media organised into the correct order.

I've not added many plugins yet but will probably try iPlayer even though it's not really needed as I have Virgin Media V+ at home.

I'm slightly concerned that the jailbreak does not have an option to stop automatic firmware upgrades, I'll be a bit pissed off if I go to turn it on and Apple have released a new non jb version. I'll double check the menus tonight, I may have missed the option.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
XBMC library view is brilliant, nice to have all my media organised into the correct order.

I've not added many plugins yet but will probably try iPlayer even though it's not really needed as I have Virgin Media V+ at home.

I'm slightly concerned that the jailbreak does not have an option to stop automatic firmware upgrades, I'll be a bit pissed off if I go to turn it on and Apple have released a new non jb version. I'll double check the menus tonight, I may have missed the option.

It does? its in the settings of the Nito TV menu

Citroen DS3 DSport
It does? its in the settings of the Nito TV menu

Fantastic, on the original ATV the option was included in the standard Apple settings menu once jailbroken.

I didn't originally have the Nito TV menu as I ran the GP jailbreak over my seas0npass method. Had to restore to factory default and rerun GP.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Huh...now I feel stupid.

I hadn't used xmbc since the days when it first came out, back when it was pretty basic. It's only now that you've mentioned "library view" that I realise that it's actually pretty awesome now.

Humn, time to play some more....

Citroen DS3 DSport
Huh...now I feel stupid.

I hadn't used xmbc since the days when it first came out, back when it was pretty basic. It's only now that you've mentioned "library view" that I realise that it's actually pretty awesome now.

Humn, time to play some more....

Without Library view it's all a bit jumbled and untidy looking. With Library view it is 100% awesome. I had wondered why you hated it so much :)

Tom you were spot on with the location of the firmware update on/off switch :approve:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Without Library view it's all a bit jumbled and untidy looking. With Library view it is 100% awesome. I had wondered why you hated it so much :)

Totally. Without it, it's nothing more than a 20 year old "text mode" file browser. Once you find the library view it becomes completely awesome.

I didn't find it before as I was just browsing and didn't add a source, once you add a source you get the option to enable the library view. It's also on the context menu (not quite sure how you get to that on the ATV). They really should have a popup window that appears the first time you go into videos to tell you about it. I suspect a lot of people never find it.

Another question, I think it's an outstanding issue on the ATV, but how fliud is the animation on the menus on yours? Mines very jerky, nothing like the mac version I just installed to test with.

One thing I do find irritating is that to alter the main menu you have to edit the XML file by hand.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The menus are currently lacking the full animations found in the desktop version of XBMC but mine look fairly smooth. Are you using the official or unofficial builds?

I installed iPlayer and CatchupTV tonight, both are working perfectly.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The menus are currently lacking the full animations found in the desktop version of XBMC but mine look fairly smooth. Are you using the official or unofficial builds?

I installed iPlayer and CatchupTV tonight, both are working perfectly.

I'm using the unofficial build, I installed it at the weekend after the untethered jailbreak was released.

I've been looking at these as a media player for my TV/amp set up.

Am I right in thinking I can use my iPhone/iPad to play songs/movies straight to the ATV box, which would be plugged into my amp? I wouldn't need my laptop/iTunes on too?

So my iPhone would act as the remote & media storage?

Lou

I cannot get my Apple TV to jailbreak using greenpois0n RC6 - I'm following all the instructions but just keeps failing. Anyone else had this?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Restore the ATV in itunes first.

Then keep trying. Its a pain, but i will eventually work.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I've been looking at these as a media player for my TV/amp set up.

Am I right in thinking I can use my iPhone/iPad to play songs/movies straight to the ATV box, which would be plugged into my amp? I wouldn't need my laptop/iTunes on too?

So my iPhone would act as the remote & media storage?

Yup, you use airplay. Even the ATV remote can be used to skip tracks when streaming from an iOS device.

I'm dead chuffed with my atv, Just finished watching glee on my itunes US account and now im watching Baking made easy on iPlayer with XBMC.
Sky is going in the bin.

Cheers Tom.

Think I'll get myself one. With this XBMC, do you stream content direct from your laptop?

And is the 1st or 2nd gen better overall?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I stream from my NAS drive or directly from the web with XBMC. All my itunes content is handled by the ATV itself not XBMC.

OK, so ATV can either stream your laptop's iTunes media (which has to be on), or rent movies direct from the web?

XBMC (on a JB ATV) can either stream the laptop's media, NAS drive, or direct from the web. How does it stream directly from the web? What sort of content are we talking? I'm a noob to this ATV / XBMC stuff.

Could ATV / XBMC potentially make my BT Vision redundant?

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
OK, so ATV can either stream your laptop's iTunes media (which has to be on), or rent movies direct from the web?

XBMC (on a JB ATV) can either stream the laptop's media, NAS drive, or direct from the web. How does it stream directly from the web? What sort of content are we talking? I'm a noob to this ATV / XBMC stuff.

Could ATV / XBMC potentially make my BT Vision redundant?

Tv Catchup, BBC iPlayer MSN UK video, Youtube (although the ATV youtube client is better)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
ssh into the appletv, use putty under windows or the following terminal command under osx

ssh root@ipaddress

where ipaddress is the ipaddress of your apple tv, the password is alpine:

then:

Code:
cd /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/addons
wget http://xbmc-iplayerv2.googlecode.com/files/IPlayer-v2.3.2.zip
unzip IPlayer-v2.3.2.zip
mv IPlayer plugin.video.iplayer
rm IPlayer-v2.3.2.zip

Restart xbmc and you'll find iPlayer in Video/Video addons

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
SSH in and dump the iplayer folder into /Applications/XBMC.frappliance/XBMCData/XBMCHome/Addons

Tv Catchup, BBC iPlayer MSN UK video, Youtube (although the ATV youtube client is better)
Ah nice one. Sounds good.

What about free on demand stuff (other than BBC iPlayer)? Like TV shows/movies etc? (or is that all bought through iTunes?)

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
If you have the relevant addon, you can stream anything.

Have a look on the XBMC forum.

Rav4
Just bought an ATV2 at the airport. Nice, tiny ! Was going to set it all up but no HDMI cable at my mums house !! I have a 2TB NAS drive at home, with XBMC installed it should give me a lot of the flexibility I need.

Awesome, glad I saw this thread.

How does ATV2 handle p**n?

Tesla MP3 2021
Hmmmm, would be tempted, but would have to be 1080p as thats what I currently have with the Mede8er.