ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Apple TV

RIP Dan
So in summary, Apple TV box connects to HDMI port on telly, iMac connects wirelessly to Apple TV box?

Is there any other boxes which do this?? Ones which I don't have to JB etc??

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
This is true. Its good enough without the JB, just better with it.

bcdd18c6-4f8c-69ba.jpg

In that view you can have a similar menu to the one you show in "other filters" also unwatched shows you the shows you havent seen filtered.

Normal tv view blue dots mean unwatched. Half blue dots partial

If you go one menu deeper on this view, what do you get?

Does it list episodes with blue dots etc?

Audi S1
If I've got a zip file and I want to get this over to my ATV using SSH.

The file needs to go here: /private/var/mobile/Media folder

How the hell do I do it! It's driving me mad.

Z4
Will this work:

To store all my media (music/films/tv programmes/etc) on my mac mini
Have an apple tv streaming it onto the tv
And mirror the mac onto an iPad2 to control it all?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
FFS I really need to sit and read up on this. Sounds like I can do what I want with no ex HDD.

If I keep anything I want to play on my MBP - Moving any older content to my ex HDD, then I can steam straight from my mac to my apple TV right? Then use my iPhone as a remote? I need this baller spec setup as I don't like how peasant I feel plugging my laptop into my tv.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I don't like the remote app. Just use the standard remote you get with it.

This TBH, i rarely use the app unless im searching for youtube/vimeo or other typey stuff.

My Harmony is mapped for xbmc so i switch to that when im using xbmc, i'd rather plex supported streaming so i didnt have to use xbmc for certain things *Cough ICEfilms Cough*

Audi S1
It bugs me that you can't forward!

I'll have to check out the Remote App. Would be handy when typing.

Are there any other addons which are worth installing? (if we can talk about them).

I've never used Plex, only XBMC when I JB'd.

How does it compare?

Movies I'm not fussed about streaming (I have them on the PC), but TV shows would be nice to stream/watch direct.

Where are the movies/TV shows stored/streamed from?

Would I need to have them stored on the PC (like I currently do), or are they streamed directly online?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Stored on the PC/Mac the plex server reads your libary and adds the relevant meta data to your films/tv/music and then they are made available to whatever plex client you want to use. (iOS, ATV, PC/MAC)

I can watch the same film in the bedroom via the ipad as someone is watching in the front room on the ATV. (or a different film if i want)

Got it. Cheers.

The only thing I want, is to be able to stream/watch TV shows without having to download first (E.g. The Walking Dead, which I download, then add to iTunes, then watch on ATV).

I'm surprised ATV hasn't been updated yet, visually.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
An update is coming, because they are being reduced.

ATV should also support Netflix when it arrives in 2012 in the UK.

For what they cost, I wasn't bothered about waiting for an update.

As long as the old one supports streaming when they announce it, I don't care.

I can't remember what XBMC had to offer when I used it.

Are there any apps/addons that would allow me to watch TV shows without the need to download?

I understand 'IceFilms' does this with Movies?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yes it does. Thats all i (probably) use it for. But we arent talking about that any further.

Downloaded an installed aTV Flash. Not sure if its been mentioned but it takes out all the need to SSH yourself etc for easy install.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
ATV Flash is a great product if you arent savvy with command lines.

Audi S1
Dont try pausing for more than 2 minutes either.

I've learnt the hard way lol

The same thing happens with my Samsung TV when streaming from Vuze. If I pauseit for longer than 2 minutes it loses the connection. At least it allows me to time search though!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I use XBMC with my ATV2 and love it. Great interface, it catalogues and organises all my media and I can resume from where I last watched. Excellent. I'm also running the latest Apple iOS version.

I've brought this up before here but I'm going to again..

I've got a first gen mac mini hooked upto an external hd that's crammed with my iTunes library. However Im getting bored of the faff I having the mac mini being involved; as that's all its used for.
I know I can't just hook up my hd to an tv (can I?), but i could just hook it upto that library. So I leave the mini on; ignore it and access it via the tv.

That - or get a newer tv with a bigger hd and put plex or something on that. Hmm.

Is there a new/unwatched/blue-dotted section for podcasts you are yet to listen/watch?

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
I've brought this up before here but I'm going to again..

I've got a first gen mac mini hooked upto an external hd that's crammed with my iTunes library. However Im getting bored of the faff I having the mac mini being involved; as that's all its used for.
I know I can't just hook up my hd to an tv (can I?), but i could just hook it upto that library. So I leave the mini on; ignore it and access it via the tv.

That - or get a newer tv with a bigger hd and put plex or something on that. Hmm.

Is there a new/unwatched/blue-dotted section for podcasts you are yet to listen/watch?

Try reading the whole thread 90% of you're answers are covered!!!