ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are 182 brakes naturally rear-biased?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just wondering really. I had mine in for its MOT today and it failed on two points. One was for the rear reg-plate light not working, but the other was that the rear pads were down to less than 1.5mm.

I really am doubting that, tbh. They are Redstuff pads all round, fitted at the same time as EBC discs, again all round. The front pads have plenty of life in them, so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the bias on my car, or that 182s are generally tougher on the rears.

I tried to take a few pics of the pads when I got home, but none turned out ok. I'll try again tomorrow.

The car actually feels fine to drive, however - I'd appreciate some feedback on this. Especially when I get some pics up!

Cheers,

D.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Wouldnt have thought the rears do a lot? When braking the weight tranfers to the front? You'd be doing handbrake turns if the rears were more biased surely?!

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
I would have thought judging by the larger discs on the front it would use the front more than the rear although they are cross paired front right with rear left and so on

Lionel Richie
its approx a 75% front 25% rear split on an ABS clio, cup (non ABS) are more like 95% front 5% rear

rears are normally good for 36K

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the comments guys. I would have expected the fronts to take the brunt of slowing the car down anyway.

Could it have been that the rears have been binding slightly over time and eventually just worn down? I would have thought I'd notice some impact in performance/mpgs with that though - and I haven't?

Looks like a replacement job at the weekend, then!

D.

they're the same caliper as used on the back of the 205GTi and i had loads of similar bother with mine on that particular car - it was always down binding due to caliper/handbrake mech problems. not sure what else it could be; seems unlikely, but may be a bad batch of pads?

My rear pads have done 48,000 miles and they only just now need changing. I'm going to try and sneak another track day out of them first. They do f'uck all.

Renault told me the rear discs and pads needed changing 3 years ago. Pricks.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
they're the same caliper as used on the back of the 205GTi and i had loads of similar bother with mine on that particular car - it was always down binding due to caliper/handbrake mech problems. not sure what else it could be; seems unlikely, but may be a bad batch of pads?

Could be m8. My car's a track virgin, but I do like to open it up on decent A-roads, etc. I don't abuse the car, but I do drive it enthusiastically - for want of a better word!

I've had the car from new and the OEM pads were destroyed on the front at around 30k, iirc. The rears were worn, but not a patch on the fronts.

Maybe the EBC rears were not aligned correctly? Interestingly, it's both of the rears that are heavily worn according to the MOT failure notes - which I take as a good thing. At least the failing is balanced and not just affecting one side!

Interesting that you had similar issues with the Pug. Bloody French motors... ;)

D.

Golf GTD Mk7
its approx a 75% front 25% rear split on an ABS clio, cup (non ABS) are more like 95% front 5% rear

rears are normally good for 36K

Changed mine at 50K and still some meat on them. Thought the fronts engage and the rears kick in more under heavey braking?

I've had exactly the same problem with my 172 Cup. Took it in for service and was told the pads were very low. I have to admit I hadn't checked them for a while given that I changed all pads and discs when I bought the car only 15k miles previously.

I've changed the rear pads and when everything was off I had a really good look and couldn't see any evidence of binding or problems. I cleaned and lubed all appropriate bits and put a set of cheap QH pads in. I'm going to keep a regular check to see if I get similar wear again. I have to admit it had me stumped! Driving the car I could not feel or hear anything that would suggest a problem so I'm going to keep a close eye on things...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Do you have many passengers in the back? that would cause more wear.

Extremely rarely, m8. Probably a handful of times per year, I'd say.

I've had exactly the same problem with my 172 Cup. Took it in for service and was told the pads were very low. I have to admit I hadn't checked them for a while given that I changed all pads and discs when I bought the car only 15k miles previously.

I've changed the rear pads and when everything was off I had a really good look and couldn't see any evidence of binding or problems. I cleaned and lubed all appropriate bits and put a set of cheap QH pads in. I'm going to keep a regular check to see if I get similar wear again. I have to admit it had me stumped! Driving the car I could not feel or hear anything that would suggest a problem so I'm going to keep a close eye on things...

^^^ v.interesting - that sounds very similar to my situation. I think I'll be keeping a close eye on them too!

Cheers,

D.

Renault once told me I needed new rear pads and I'd only replaced them the week before lol.

Trouble with the rears is they are much thinner to start with so I find garages often say they need replacing when they don't.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Renault once told me I needed new rear pads and I'd only replaced them the week before lol.

Trouble with the rears is they are much thinner to start with so I find garages often say they need replacing when they don't.

Right. Come rain, hail or snow - one of those rears is coming off tomorrow and I'll get a decent pic put up. I want to get the peeps view on the thickness (oo-er).

D.

Right. Come rain, hail or snow - one of those rears is coming off tomorrow and I'll get a decent pic put up. I want to get the peeps view on the thickness (oo-er).

D.

When I got mine off I could see they definitely needed doing. There wasn't far to go to the backing plate... :dead:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Just checked them now - I think it was right to fail the MOT! ;)

Outside edge isn't too bad.....

DSCN4322.jpg

But the inner pad is more worn down. Got a nice etched groove from something as well. Probably a trapped stone or something. :(

DSCN4328.jpg

Oh well. I ordered a replacement set yesterday anyway.

D.

ITB'd MK1

+ eleventy million. had MOT fail on my 205 for the same thing, new pads were barely thicker.

Peddled device
Daz...my 182 Cup failed on its front discs which they said were badly worn.They looked nearly new and the car pulled up as though an anchor had been thrown out but l knew l couldn't get it through test at the same place without changing them.

When l took them off the insides of the discs were fucked...rusted up ....maybe due to the inside staying damp and not drying out as quick as the outside.