ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are my wheels beyond a refurb?

Clio 1.2 16V
Ive been teaching my girl how to drive for several months now, she lives on a very tight road and u cant park on the kerb - so we've been forced to drive close up to the kerb. and for that reason my wheels are paying the price for it.

i took the car to my dad and he said he would refurb them ( how hard can it be he said - with that funny botch job look in his eye. :evil:

I live near north london, is it possible to do my own refurb or are my wheels beyond a refub. if i have to take it to specialst how do i kno whats a good price? i need them done asap, i got a baby on the way so i need a bigger car and i know the wheels in the shape they are now will devalue the car.

pics:
IMG00031-20100622-1712.gif
IMG00030-20100622-1712.gif
IMG00029-20100622-1711.gif

They look awful right? :(
img.php

img.php

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Easily do-able mate, some harsh sand paper will remove most of it, a metal file to get them looking a bit smoother if not, then some metal filler (don't use too much, its a real wh0re to sand back) then primer/paint/lacquer as usual.

As for a pro job, around £40 a corner would be what I'd expect.

Clio 1.2 16V
Easily do-able mate, some harsh sand paper will remove most of it, a metal file to get them looking a bit smoother if not, then some metal filler (don't use too much, its a real wh0re to sand back) then primer/paint/lacquer as usual.

My dad is in construction, u think i should let him do it. is it that easy?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yes let him do it, its really not that hard.

I've done two sets and before that I don't think I'd ever sprayed anything other than a pushbike.

Make sure you read some of the wheel refurb guides on here. Follow the correct steps and you'll get a great finish.

Clio 1.2 16V
what about the supposedly hard to find anthracite color? i heard to respray it back into that color would be expensive?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
dude that would be a peice of piss to sort out , shouldnt cost to much tbh id say avg £40 a wheel

Track 172cup
ouch she's done a good job on them anyway mate !

the good thing is most of it looks like its more like kerb rash rather than chunks out of the edge of the rim

fairly easy to do yourself, you just need to take your time when filling/sanding, it's all in the prep

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I dont know, i just put up the companys that i would uses as i have seen all 3 work.
I would never recommend anyone whos work i have not seen and i always think its best to send the wheels away.

clio cup 172
my mate works in a body shop and wheel refurbs is basically all he does...he does plenty on hobbles also, ill ask him how much he would charge for a hobble

LY 182 FF CUPPED
"spit and polish" NO NO NO..........

My mate took his WR1 in, and three wheels were darker than the fourth, he then dropped his wife's mini wheels in and was given a call 4 hours later saying they were ready for collection???
They said they swapped them over with a pair sat on the shelf...WTF!!!