ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Are there any cars out there currently that REALLY rival the 182?

306 TD Slut
does the safety factor come into play when they are now bulking up hot hatches. saftey ratings are equally if not more important than performance these days? manufacturers are always keen to boast about the safety of their new car. i.e air bags, side impact, height levels etc.. i know someone looking to buy a car for their family/younger children would be more of an audience to these figures. but just a thought...?

106 GTi
The 182 managed to have decentish NCAP rating but not be bulky.

Maybe people want the extra space the Golf GTi offers, everyone wants these 'big' small cars.

306 TD Slut
imo the golf has been and always will be a tank, visually i think the R32 is the only reasonably good looking one. its could probably take out a land rover in a crash.

Nissan 350Z
MRBILLYUK said:
What about a Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI ?

Good figures for an oil burner 0 - 60 7.6 secs , top speed 136mph .

People talk of 0 - 60's with 0.2 of a second , it depends whos driving it , even with a couple of seconds , one bad gear change and you've blown it .

MrBillyUK !
The problem with that car is, as I found out when I had my Fabia vRS, is that its a diesel - it has good performance yes, but lacks that all important "X-Factor". Its just not the same as revving out a petrol engine to 7000 rpm!

Also with the big lump of pig iron up front and lack of revs to play with, the handling is poor compared with a Clio. Look up any review, and it says the same thing.

MRBILLYUK said:
What about a Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI ?

Good figures for an oil burner 0 - 60 7.6 secs , top speed 136mph.
If you ever get the oporitinty to drive one do you'll find its nothing like a 172/182 I looked at one and its power band was very narrow comparired with my dci (2 to 3k) plus the handling wasn't that good for throwability and the stearing was massively over assisted.
Still what a gearbox humm I loved it.
I'm sure its quite capable on track but its seems cheap and with no design gone into the inside. The biggest thing for me was the poor chassic and stearing though.
I did want to like it though.

Ally said:
Cars like fast versions of the clio are a dying breed I think - enjoy 'em while you can :(

Something ridiculous will come along it always does. 205 gti owners probably moaned in the same way....then a 172 bhp ultrahatch appeared.

106 GTi
205 GTi Owners luckily had the 306 and 106 Gti/Rallye options to soften that blow slightly, it was the 206 that caused the main feeling of lost cause the Peugeot world. Thankfully the 172 soon came about. Maybe we will all be suprised and some one will make another true 'small, hot' hatch again one day.

182... again!
Don't think the hot hatch is finished! As long as people still buy, manufacturers will produce...maybe bigger and safer but still hot hatchbacks! They died out once before when the insurance got silly but what a resurrection.....!

Clio 197
People will make-do... so people will buy the bloated heavy versions...

...but it doesn't mean they don't secretly crave a raw hot-hatch.

Ad

MK2 FRS
^^ spot on great car..... hmmm

Makes reno build quality look like a rolls royce. haha

Seriously ugly car.

Hhhmmm. Personally a Small,great handling, lairy, turbo engined Twigo replacement (not with twingo looks but in terms of size being pitched below the current clio) would fit the bill nicely.

Racin Blue 182
Surely a hot hatch is a hot hatch and it doesn't really matter how big/small or what market branded 'sector' it's in? The test is whether the car is any good at what it does - the RS Clio seems to have blended the best aspects of straightline performance and handling in a well priced package and in that respect it's unbeatable IMO. Cars like the VXR and Megane etc will gain and lose in different areas -they aren't any better because they are bigger.....

Mini Cooper S sport
adtmits said:
^^ spot on great car..... hmmm

Makes reno build quality look like a rolls royce. haha

Seriously ugly car.

I guess you missed the thread about them then, they beat 172s you know! ;)

The Loonster said:
Hhhmmm. Personally a Small,great handling, lairy, turbo engined Twigo replacement (not with twingo looks but in terms of size being pitched below the current clio) would fit the bill nicely.

God yeah! A 2.0 litre turbo in a Clio *sigh*.

Racing Blue said:
God yeah! A 2.0 litre turbo in a Clio *sigh*.

1.6T would do, i mean remember the power and performance out of the old GTturbo with its stone age, 1.4, 8v, single cam, carb'd, pushrod lump. As long as its light a 1.6T would be fine.

cock mobile.
Loony said:
1.6T would do.

It would do, but would it be better than a 2.0 N/A?

Obviously Renault don't think so.

But then a lot of new hothatches are going like this, the new Pug will be, the Mini is getting a turbo I think? Currently on a supercharger.

I'm sure there must be others as well, is the Ibiza Cupra a turbo?

sh33n said:

Has the potential to be lighter/more torquey and better performing but then this is a pointless one to argue as we would have to know the 1.6T's specs to compare and argue the relative merits/downfalls against the 2.0 N/A lump that is going in the new RS.

cock mobile.
Yer indeed ^^

Obviously different manufacturers are taking different routes to make a good selling hot hatch.

Imo that's a very good thing anyway, it gives us more choice on what sort of car we want, obviously Turbo / Supercharged cars drive differently to N/A engines (for the better part) and it's nice to have a selection :)

I'd love to have the lazy torque of a turbo again. Had my Gtturbo for 2 & 1/2 years before the 172/182 and thats the main thing i miss about it. Obviously the sucking noise of it coming on boost and the pops bangs and flames were all good fun too :)

Scirocco GT 210
sh33n said:

But then a lot of new hothatches are going like this, the new Pug will be, the Mini is getting a turbo I think? Currently on a supercharger.

I'm sure there must be others as well, is the Ibiza Cupra a turbo?

Ibiza cupra is turbo'd yes, has been for a number of years now. The new corsa VXR is going to have a 1.6T also. Turbos everywhere. Easy to tune mind.

*edit* argh, beaten to it. Damn slow laggy 56k :(

Mini Cooper S sport
Loony said:
1.6T would do, i mean remember the power and performance out of the old GTturbo with its stone age, 1.4, 8v, single cam, carb'd, pushrod lump. As long as its light a 1.6T would be fine.

I know, I'm just being greedy :eek:

Can Renault squeeze much more out of the N/A 2 litre engine though, especially if the car's heavier? I obviously don't know much about these things, just wondered.

Racing Blue said:
I know, I'm just being greedy :eek:

Can Renault squeeze much more out of the N/A 2 litre engine though, especially if the car's heavier? I obviously don't know much about these things, just wondered.
Yep there more potentila depends how extrem about 215hp is about as far as they'd go I think before they go to either a 2.2 blcok or a whole new engine. otherwise they'll need stonger bottom end which is more expensive and a whole new engine is better value.

The GSi/VXR I don't see as any competition the new Clio RS will be out by then which will be better still. Plus the Corsa isn't the best handling car ever and its never affected sales so why should they care now.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Don't need to spend more than 4k for a genuine 182 rival!:rasp:

ultimateclio9gx.jpg

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Waits for a response fom a willy owner in the near future...as usual

ian

The Corsa will not match in any way the RenaultSport Clios. It's already heavier in basic trim and does not do the bends well either.

Please people do not compare cars with mods against cars without. Just makes you seem sad and clutching at hope. Who cares what can or can't be done for some money. 99% of owners will not even think of spending huge amounts of money to see their insurance voided because "it's modified?".

Would people stop saying "if you did this or that". Pointless if you want to compare. WOW I could spend £10,000 on my Clio and make it so much faster LOL?

gazcaddy said:
Yeah but the Williams is about 4.5 secs slower to 100 than the 182

the game has moved on mate
Its not all about Hp and 0-60.
Anyway there not that much different a very good 172/Cup/182/Williams will, run 14.0.
The game has only moved on as far as people demands, doesn't mean its not a better or worse car just different.

182BG
To be honest, the hot hatch scene will never die, just look over the years, we have seen it slow down and nearly die off, but then all of a sudden, wham!!! i new super hatch arrives.
Im not bothered at all to be honest, i think with the 172/182's they have got it spot on, so im happy. And with all the bloody speed cameras about now and new traffic laws, ask the question "do we really need something that goes faster???" ;)

Clio 172 mk2
Have to agree Lee...My old WRX was ballistic speed wise but I rarely got a chance to use all the power and push the car to the limit as I'm just not that good a driver.

I think other companies are going to have to come up with something very special to rival the Clio Trophy.....making a good car which is fun to drive isn't all about power figures.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Gilbert_Ratchet said:
182 etc. Hooligan's car driven by gentlemen.

CTR gentleman's car driven by hooligans.

lol, wish I could think up some of your replies....:approve: :cool: