ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Argh lost locking nut

monaco 172
Just picked up a ph2 172 and thought I'd give the breaks and track rods a bit of a refresh.

Bought all the bits went out and can't find the dam locking nut.

They are the type which spin on the outer collar so the method of bashing a socket on ain't gonna work.

What options do I have?
Can't find a code in the manual to order from renault

monaco 172
Can they get it with just the reg?

Ive been through the manual and cant find any codes or anything to give them

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Ignore hammer. Weld an old bolt onto the centre of the locking nut and undo. Any half honest tech would do this for beer money

dan's cast offs.
find someone with one of these...http://www.dynomec.co.uk/

Ignore hammer. Weld an old bolt onto the centre of the locking nut and undo. Any half honest tech would do this for beer money

worst thing you can do, if or most likely when the bolt shears at the weld and you're left with a load of manky weld you're pretty much stuffed for drilling though it. had a car in where they tried this and made a pigs ear out of it, with a proper locking nut remover it took me less than five minutes to do the rear two.

had to use a hole cutter on the fronts to drill around the nuts and through the wheel itself. end result two scrap wheels and two hour bill for the fronts.

monaco 172
Hmm I'll see if Renault can help first before I take any drastic action.

Yes I can see welding a bolt to it getting good weld all over the place

Clio 2.0 16v 182

worst thing you can do, if or most likely when the bolt shears at the weld and you're left with a load of manky weld you're pretty much stuffed for drilling though it. had a car in where they tried this and made a pigs ear out of it, with a proper locking nut remover it took me less than five minutes to do the rear two.

had to use a hole cutter on the fronts to drill around the nuts and through the wheel itself. end result two scrap wheels and two hour bill for the fronts.

Ive seen people weld to bolts and damage the alloy 2

Get someone who knows how to weld then.

RB182 Cup
If you've still got the service book, they'll be a sticker on the front page with the locking wheel nut code you can give to Renault.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
or just do the job properly in the first place:wink:

So "properly" is buying a 170£ tool that you only use 4 times on one day instead of paying a semi competent tradesman to do a minute of welding for a tenner?

Do you work for the government?

dan's cast offs.
So "properly" is buying a 170£ tool that you only use 4 times on one day instead of paying a semi competent tradesman to do a minute of welding for a tenner?

Do you work for the government?

no but i find if i read previous posts before i post something and try and be a smart arse it can save me from looking a bit of a dopey git:tonguewink:

Clio 2.0 16v 182
You'll be lucky if your rac tech has one in his van. How common do you think those tools are? There's a clue in the price. £170 for a tool that only has one real use compared to a half decent arc welder?

Take it to a garage and they'll be using a welder because they know a tool that does many jobs is better than one that only does one.