ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Assistance - Buzzing from sump area

Clio
Hi there,

Over the last few weeks I have a buzzing sound coming from the sump area. Its getting progressively louder over time. It only makes the noise when oil is below 65 Celsius and only while idling, above that its quiet.

Had my cambelt, waterpump, dephasor and belts service done about 2 months ago, don't know if it might be related.

Anyone had a similar type noise or recognize it.

PS: Car is running 100% at the moment

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Have you checked the pump and checked oil is flowing properly as suggested rather than just bumping the thread !?

Where are you based ? Take it to Fred / Danny / Mick...

Clio
Well I'm a bit stumped now. Got the sump off... and here's the diagnosis.

And as far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the oil pump. I took it off and inspected it with a beady eye ball. The chain wheel is smooth turning. No play at all. Teeth are still like new. No visible wear at all. Took the filter on the pickup tube off as there were only tiny tiny bits of caked oil or something, but only 2 or 3 pieces, otherwise no blockage in any of the channels. Took the pump apart, the internals are still shiny like new. No visible wear on the gears or on the opposing face that holds the gears down. The pressure regulator powered by a spring seems fine. Spring is still healthy and split pin is still sturdy. Overall the pump looks to me in perfect condition. Going to go find a 2nd hand one tomorrow to compare. Perhaps there is something Im overlooking. Remarkable though how it works... same theory as a supercharger. Two interlocking gears that spin really really fast and act at a high pressure pump... just with oil instead of air.

The sump is still clean inside. No particles lying in the bottom at all.
The bottom end looks and feels fine to me. There is no play in any of the bearings and rods that I can tell of. All tight with zero play.

The only thing that I can possibly put the sound to is the chain. To me it seems a bit loose. However I guess its meant to be like that since there is no tensioner. The chains condition still looks 100% to me. I inspected each link. Here is a vid and pic...

IMG_0003.png

So yeah, a bit stumped now.
shy.gif

I'm happy now that the pump feels fine to me, and visibly looks perfect still so I'm not nervous of it keeshing out on me. Its actually a stupidly simple device, with only 3, remarkably chunky, moving parts. The chain... not sure how that would stretch nor suddenly become the cause of a buzz. Perhaps one of the oil journals is blocked somewhere in the block and its causing a backup of sorts, which will be near impossible to find unless I pick apart the entire block and head piece by piece. Not cool

So yeah, if someone has a suggestion, I'm all for it.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Good effort.

Seriously.

My suggestion is to just leave it be ;)

What engine is it ?

Does the car get warmed up properly regularly ? By that I mean driven for more than 10 miles at a time. Properly warm and then driven properly ;) 1.2s get gunked up easily... This might be a 2.0 though ?

Clio
Good effort.

Seriously.

My suggestion is to just leave it be ;)

What engine is it ?

Does the car get warmed up properly regularly ? By that I mean driven for more than 10 miles at a time. Properly warm and then driven properly ;) 1.2s get gunked up easily... This might be a 2.0 though ?

Thx man :D
Yeah, the pump seems 100% to me, so I'm not nervous now. Will just get used to the buzz.

Its the 1.6 K4M from a Clio3. I do about 12kms to work and back every day. Oil gets to about 75ish unless I misbehave.
Weekends I do about 200kms visiting family, misbehaving, etc etc and she gets hot then ;)

Clio
Well...... after putting the cab back together, the noise is gone :) celebrations!
Unhappy face for not knowing what the hell it was though. Perhaps moving around the pump and picking it apart, cleaning it, and putting back together and moving the chain around solved something I didn't see or feel.

Thanks for the support! :)