ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

At what point is an alloy beyond refurbing?

2003 Cup 172
So i've got a couple Turinis that are leaking air. When the new tyres were fitted the guy spotted that there was some bubbling on the inside of a couple of the rims, he did a bit of grinding to get the surface smooth enough to get a decent seal, and put some better sealant on than normal, but they're still leaking.

I know without properly examining the wheel it's difficult to give opinions, but has this happened with anyone else and a refurb then fixed the problem? I'd rather just buy a couple of used rims than spend the money on a refurb only to find out that the problem isn't just on the surface of the rim but that the rim is actually starting to corrode on the inside and is beyond repair.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited:
  2003 Cup 172
Cheers - will look into a refurb then, unless a cheap pair of turinis pop up on here. Wheel isn't bent at all, just poor condition so it creates a poor seal with the tyre.

Cheers

172 cup, Impreza P1
If they look ok on the outside just rub them down to bare metal, prime, spray and lacquer the bead and jobs a good un. Done it with loads of wheels and the only one that didnt work for was bent.